Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forum won't remember my login
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    So removing all instances and passwords re to the two websites and entering them again manually fixed the problem? Just trying to get the solution clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    So removing all instances and passwords re to the two websites and entering them again manually fixed the problem? Just trying to get the solution clear.
    The way Sawday described it, the problem was logging in via the mac-forums bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
    And deleting that bookmark and re-entering it manually solved the problem.

I never had a problem logging in that way - I only have the problem trying to log in via the link that mac-forums sends me in a notification email.
    But once I log in that way manually by entering my user name and password, the log in then works automatically for any notification email I get after that, or even old ones, but only for a limited time like an hour or two - then the auto-login no longer works and I have to this manually again.

This whole problem started one or two Firefox updates ago - what I find really odd is that this problem for me only happens on this forum.

Your Mac's Specs
    krs, I take it the "Remember Me" box under your login box is ticked?

Your Mac's Specs
    Okay, changed default browsers, Firefox is now my default. I have clicked on email links to this thread in both Mail and Airmail (my default email client). In both instances I have been automatically logged in to Mac Forums and brought straight to this thread. I understand it's unhelpful for others to say, "well it's working for me" but I'm trying to work out what difference there is between your situation and mine. I will leave Firefox my default for the rest of the day and see if it stops logging me in automatically. Either way I'll get back to you.
    Cheers, Rod.

krs, I take it the "Remember Me" box under your login box is ticked?
    Yes, it certainly is.
    I check it every time I log in manually...it's not even really manually because as soon as I click on the "User Name"button, my user name shows up and all I have to do is select it - same with the password (as a row of dots)
    So I don't actually have to type in anything.

So I tried something else, in part prompted by what Sawday posted.

I went into Firefox "Logins and Passwords" and deleted the entry of user name and password for mac-forums
    Then shut down Firefox.
    Restarted Firefox and this time really manually, as in typed every letter, logged back in.
    So lets see if that makes a difference - probably won't find out until the morning - it;s midnight here.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    So I tried something else, in part prompted by what Sawday posted.

I went into Firefox "Logins and Passwords" and deleted the entry of user name and password for mac-forums
    Then shut down Firefox.
    Restarted Firefox and this time really manually, as in typed every letter, logged back in.
    So lets see if that makes a difference - probably won't find out until the morning - it;s midnight here.
    And I take it you had removed it from Bookmarks too?

And I take it you had removed it from Bookmarks too?
    No, not from bookmarks.

But the auto ogin didn't work just now, so also removing the bookmark would be next.
    Although I don't see why this would have any effect. Logging in via the bookmark has always worked for me, it's just logging in via the notification email link doesn't work after some time.

Your Mac's Specs
    Honestly I donít see why it would work either but maybe when you click on an email link it opens an outdated bookmark. Really itís just a case of trying every possibility.

Your Mac's Specs
    And, I have just turned on my MBP, gone to your post email notification, clicked on the link and Firefox has opened with me still logged in so so much for that. I'll leave as my default till tomorrow and try again but it looks like the issue is still unique to you. I had previously deleted my passwords and bookmarks for this site so all the same there.
    Cheers till tomorrow,
    Rod

Honestly I don¬’t see why it would work either but maybe when you click on an email link it opens an outdated bookmark. Really it¬’s just a case of trying every possibility.
    I deleted the bookmark in the bookmark bar.
    Then logged in manually by actually typing in user name and password.
    Let's see if that makes a difference.

What I'm still trying to get my head around is that this problem only starts to happen after some time period, or maybe after something else happens.
    I with I knew the nitty, gritty details better on how everything ties together for the "remember me" and auto login.
    For instance - does mf set a cookie when one selects "remember me"

I just read that you "turned on your Mac" - I leave mine running 24/7 - wonder if that makes a difference.
    Sounds weird, but the problem I reported a while back with a 2017 Macbook air not recognizing USB 3.0 flash drives actually seems to relate to that.
    Next time that problem happened (with the USB 3.0), we just turned off the MBa and turned it on again and the problem was solved.
    So if somebody turned off their Mac in the evening every day as part of their routine, they would never even see that problem.

Back on this issue - I'm thinking of maybe goinf back three Firefox upgrades if I can find that version of FF and see if the problem is there as well.

PS: This was sort of different now.
    I had logged in with the log in at the top right - user name, password and "remember me"
    Then I typed the reply just above the "PS"
    Hit the "send" button (or whatever it's called, and the window in the centre of the screen showed up telling me I was not logged in - so I logged in again.
    In that log in window, both user name and password were filled in already, so I just checked "remember me" and logged in.
    Next thing I see is this posted.
    Last edited by krs; 05-29-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    So.......? Is it working now?

No...

If anything it's worse.
    My user name and my password are now no longer already populated in the log in area at the top right.

I'm heading off to Europe tomorrow for 3 weeks.
    Not sure how much time I would have there to even log into this forum, much less work on that issue.

I just have to keep logging in for now until maybe a Firefox update will resolve this.

I tried changing browsers but that means setting up user names and passwords on dozen and dozens of sites for that browser which I'm not really keen on doing right now.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well hope you have a great trip, stay in touch, Iím sure youíve got your password memorised by now but just in reply to your mention about memorised passwords, if you use a password manager (I use Enpass) you can access all your passwords for any browser.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Returning to my original post. After further trials I 'think' I may have stumbled on something. When the bookmark had a location of <<https://www.mac-forums.com/>>my login is remembered and I gain immediate access. However, when it's <<https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/>> then I need to login. In my playing around with this when I clicked on "Bookmark this page" menu item the second version of the location was saved with consequent problems. Once I had edited the location to remove the "forums/" it worked fine and continues to do so. Fingers crossed for when Firefox next updates.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Thread Information