Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forum won't remember my login
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Have you tried deleting the website from bookmarks and the password from saved passwords and re entering them? Might be a good idea to clear cookies as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    In a word 'Yes'. No effect.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I don't usually use Firefox...but I've been doing some use testing regarding Mac-Forums (logging in, logging out, remember login info, etc.). No problems thus far.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I know this sounds a bit left of field but have you tried running OnyX? The only reason I ask is because you certainly seem to have tried everything else and It works fine on my MBP so anything Iíve done that you havenít might be a reason. Like emptying the browser cache which is part of the Maintenance script for internet services. Clutching at straws I know.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I don't usually use Firefox...but I've been doing some use testing regarding Mac-Forums (logging in, logging out, remember login info, etc.). No problems thus far.
    - Nick
    Are you clicking on the link in the notification email?
    And are you running Firefox 67.0?

On the earlier version of FF this worked fine, and now it works fine when I click in the bookmark bar I have set up for this forum, just not when I click on the link in the netification email.

At the top right of the window I get then, I have to select my user name which actually comes up by itself as soon as I click on "User Name", then the password comes up automatically as well. Finally I select the little check box to log in automatically.
    The one thing I noticed is that if one tries to log in via the notification email link shortly after one has manually logged in, then the automatic log in works, but only for a while.
    Maybe that's why you have not been able to duplicate it.

PS: I just found a notification email back on May 5th that I never opened.
    Clicked on the link in that email and it worked fine.
    This was about 8:53pm Eastern

At 9:02pm, it's still good, but maybe I'm resetting some times somehow by logging in.
    This whole scenario is just weird because I do auto-log-in on a number of other sites using Firefox and have no problem there.

10:20 - Returned from a shopping trip and had to log in this time
    Last edited by krs; 05-24-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    I know this sounds a bit left of field but have you tried running OnyX? The only reason I ask is because you certainly seem to have tried everything else and It works fine on my MBP so anything I’ve done that you haven’t might be a reason. Like emptying the browser cache which is part of the Maintenance script for internet services. Clutching at straws I know.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Yes - see first post. Bu thaving had a Firefox update since then I'll run it again. Incidentally, it's just started happening on another site which also happens to be a forum. I get emails when that site has a new post and clicking on the link in the email used to go straight into the forum. Now it takes me to a login page. It must be a Firefox 'improvement'.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Are you clicking on the link in the notification email?
    The OP (Sawday) original issue stated in post #1 was that login information wasn't being remembered. That's what I'm testing for...and so far so good.

And are you running Firefox 67.0?
    Sure am...latest & greatest version...downloaded it yesterday.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

9:34am - Had to log in again.

I'm going to try every ten minutes to see what happens

9:51am - was still logged in automatically

10:05am - was still logged in automatically

10:24am - was still logged in automatically

10:43am - was still logged in automatically

11:11am- still logged in automatically

11:29am - still good

12:10pm - was logged out...and just lost a lengthy post I made in another thread.
    Don't really understand why one can even post if one is not logged in.
    After I wrote the post and clicked on "Post Quick Reply" I got the message "You are not logged in and my post was gone - most frustrating.

PS: Managed to hit the back button a few times and got back to my "lengthy" post that was still sitting there.
    Great!!! - It's some observations in the thread "People prefer Mac over PC"

2:01pm - was logged out again.
    Last edited by krs; 05-25-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Hmm, there was time where I was having trouble with timing out. I got in the habit of copying long posts onto the clipboard just in case the "Restore Previous" button didn't come up. Currently I use CopyClip a free clipboard manager app which is so handy, simple and convenient I would not go without it. It's saved me re writing all sorts of stuff not to mention finding that web page, password, quotation etc etc.
    If you don't already have a clipboard manager I highly recommend this one.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 13.34.46.jpg
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    +1 for CopyClip. You can set the number of clipboard copies to keep and select which ones you wish to use for copying. However, the forum software should remember what you have written in a reply and restore if you get bumped off or accidentally open another tab or thread. There is a time limit on how long it will be retained. I'm not sure what the length of time for retention is.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    However, the forum software should remember what you have written in a reply and restore if you get bumped off or accidentally open another tab or thread. There is a time limit on how long it will be retained. I'm not sure what the length of time for retention is.
    This forum software actually does remember what was written, in that I can click the back button and get to the webpage with my post on it that has not yet been actually posted, but most forums I go to do not.
    I get some message that the page has to be regenerated as the only option and if I do that I end up with the reply window but the text is gone.
    So if I expect something like that to happen, I just do a select all and copy the text before hitting "post reply"
    I suppose I could use CopyClip but I already have 260 applications not counting 'Utilities' and I'm trying to cut down.

Back to the "won't remember my log-in"

I did some more googling to see what I could find.
    All the settings in Firefox that could possibly cause that problem were already set correctly - so no great revelation there.

However when I went back to Firefox>Logins and Passwords and did a search for "Mac....", I found that there were two entries for user name and password against mac-forums.com.
    One was "krs" plus the password and the other had a user name of "user name" - not sure where that came from, but that entry had a date setting of one day after the "krs" entry, so I wonder if that is at least part of the problem.
    I deleted that log-in and password to see if that makes any difference.
    It's 11:16am now - will check back in a couple of hours

Well, it's 2:02pm now and I had to log in again - so that didn't do the trick
    Last edited by krs; 05-26-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Dual log in information seems to be prevalent even with Safari and Chrome. I have on numerous occasions had to go into the "remembered" password info for Safari and Chrome and delete erroneous log in information. As I've stated before, I do not know how Firefox stores that info but suspect that it could likewise be a problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    In my case there is only one entry for Mac-Forums in passwords. It's set to auto fill and user name and password there are correct. All very strange.

As I said, taking the duplicate out made no difference - so I would think that was not the issue.

@Sawday - to check if our problems are exactly the same....
    For me:
    1. The auto login to this forum works every time if I do it using the bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
    2. If I log in from the link in the notification email, the auto login to this forum works for a certain period of time (around an hour) after I logged in manually, then at some point after that it does not. It does not matter which thread the notification email references.
    3. None of the other forums I visit has that problem with Firefox
    4. Other browsers, Safari, Brave, Chrome work fine
    5. Problem started with (I think) the last version of Firefox, maybe the second to last - I use mostly Firefox as the browser and have not had this problem previously with this forum or any other (that I remember)

Your Mac's Specs
    As I said, taking the duplicate out made no difference - so I would think that was not the issue.

@Sawday - to check if our problems are exactly the same....
    For me:
    1. The auto login to this forum works every time if I do it using the bookmark in the Firefox bookmark bar.
    2. If I log in from the link in the notification email, the auto login to this forum works for a certain period of time (around an hour) after I logged in manually, then at some point after that it does not. It does not matter which thread the notification email references.
    3. None of the other forums I visit has that problem with Firefox
    4. Other browsers, Safari, Brave, Chrome work fine
    5. Problem started with (I think) the last version of Firefox, maybe the second to last - I use mostly Firefox as the browser and have not had this problem previously with this forum or any other (that I remember)
    RESOLVED!!

krs - You have cracked it. Thank you for raising the bookmark issue - even though that worked for you! I was using the bookmark bar entry. I looked the properties for this and it appeared fine. I deleted the bookmark and entered the URL for the site manually, clicking 'Remember'. Exited and re-entered - it had saved my login. Saved it on the bookmark bar. This now works fine. Ditto the other site that had the same issue. Interestingly (I know, I lead a sad life!) no other bookmark is exhibiting any issue. So it looks like a Firefox issue introduced on the version before last.

Thread Information