Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108
  1. #1
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    I was rather surprised this morning when I tried to log into this Mac Forum and received a message that my password was 120 days old and I had to change it before I could continue.

    This is the first forum ever in my many years on the net and subscribing to forums that a password change for a forum became mandatory after a certain time period.

    I can understand "forced" password changes for sites that contain financial or confidential personal information, but for a forum like this???
    What exactly will someone be able to "steal" if they get my password for this forum and log in?

    And for me making the change was not completely trivial since for sites like this, with no financial or confidential information, I set up my browser to automatically populate the user ID and password fields, so my old, existing password which is required for the change, is not readily available.

  2. #2
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,767
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    27
    I got the same message last week. I think it's built into the software supporting the site. And your old password would be in Keychain, given what you said about automatically populating, for the future.
    Jake

  3. #3
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    6,811
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    13
    You don't have the ability to view saved passwords through your browsers preferences? What browser do you use?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I got the same message last week. I think it's built into the software supporting the site. And your old password would be in Keychain, given what you said about automatically populating, for the future.
    I have 260 items in keychain.
    Didn't spot macforums, then did a search for mac... only two items showed up but neither one was macforums.

    I'm wondering, does keychain somehow store passwords I use in Firefox?
    I eventually found the password in Firefox, but it's not obvious where to look - that's what I was getting at.

    And as to this being built into the software...yes, but I assume it must be activated somehow.
    I'm a member of other forums that use vBulletin and have for years, and none of them force a password change.

    I was mostly wondering of what the point is of changing a password every four months on a forum site.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You don't have the ability to view saved passwords through your browsers preferences? What browser do you use?
    I found it eventually...browser is Firefox but I'm transferring to Brave; Firefox doesn't work that well anymore after the latest updates.

  5. #5
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    6,767
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    27
    Well, I used Keychain Access and did a search for "forum" and it found the last five passwords I have used at Mac-forums.com. Don't know why your search in keychain didn't find it, unless it's a "feature" of Firefox not to share with Keychain. I use Safari and the passwords are in both Keychain and Safari/Preferences. I did try Brave, but it's not ready for prime time, IMHO. Maybe someday.
    Jake

  6. #6
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,725
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    What exactly will someone be able to "steal" if they get my password for this forum and log in?
    That's a good question....

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Well, I used Keychain Access and did a search for "forum" and it found the last five passwords I have used at Mac-forums.com. Don't know why your search in keychain didn't find it, unless it's a "feature" of Firefox not to share with Keychain. I use Safari and the passwords are in both Keychain and Safari/Preferences. I did try Brave, but it's not ready for prime time, IMHO. Maybe someday.
    Strange...
    I just checked keychain again, did a search for forum and get 21 results but mac-forums isn't one of them.

    I thought user names and passords for websites would only show up in keychain if one used Safari as the browser.

    As to "Brave not ready for prime time". I'm interested in more of your comments on that and wil start a separate thread.

  8. #8
    When I now tried to log in again, I ended up in a strange loop.

    When I try to log in, I get this window below telling me I have to reset my password again.
    When I do that and get a temporary password in my email and try to use it, I get another window that suggests that I need to register.
    But then I end up with the "For security reasons" window again and it just keeps going around that loop.

    Only way I got back into the forum is to use a different browser that I had never used with mac-forums before.

    As far as I know, vBuletin is commercial software that has to be paid for - as such it's pretty crappy.
    Not just now but thinking back to all the previous issues in the last few months that Nick had to struggle with
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    I think I have an idea what the problem might be.

    When I go to Mac-Forums in my bookmarks, I see the log-in option at the top of the page. See attachment with arrow pointing to it.
    When I click on that, my user name and password shows up, but no button to click on to actually log in.
    So I tried clicking on the page, in later tries I hit the return key on the keyboard - they all took me to the password reset "for security reasons" page.

    The way I got back in with firefox now was to select a thread, try to reply to it, that then brought up a different log in window with a log in button that I could click on.
    Man, what a pain...and all of that was triggered by the 120 day "forced" password reset
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    5,956
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Rep Power
    19
    I'm the opposite

    Never been asked to change my PW - ever. I do change it now and again by choice.

    krs - you point to Log In. Manually put in your User Name, then your PW, then check "remember me", then hit Log In.

    That might do the trick.

    Oh, and another possible point, I never log out. After all, I go to this Forum umpteen times a day. (Wish I could help that often, but that's another story).

    Ian
    Ian

  11. #11
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    58,841
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Rep Power
    53
    I don't know how Firefox interacts with the Keychain, but Safari and Chrome both will store and retrieve passwords from the Keychain. And as Ian has pointed out, by remaining logged in you should have no problem entering the forums once your password has been set.

    As for the 120 Day password change requirement, that was implemented some time ago when these forums (under a different ownership) were compromised. And yes, it's true that some other forums do not require a password change every so often. However, for now, ours does.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I'm the opposite

    Never been asked to change my PW - ever. I do change it now and again by choice.

    krs - you point to Log In. Manually put in your User Name, then your PW, then check "remember me", then hit Log In.

    That might do the trick.

    Oh, and another possible point, I never log out. After all, I go to this Forum umpteen times a day. (Wish I could help that often, but that's another story).

    Ian
    My user name and password (password just showing dots) was actually preselected, I just cut that part off since I didn't want my email address showing.
    I also tried it with and without checking the remember me box.
    Also deleted cookies and cache - that made no difference.
    But I didn't try deleting the preselection and entering user name and password manually

    And I never log out either for this forum or any other forum - the "forced" password change was strictly triggered by the 120 day window, at least that is what the message said originally - after that the message was always "for security reasons"....what security I wonder.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I don't know how Firefox interacts with the Keychain, but Safari and Chrome both will store and retrieve passwords from the Keychain. And as Ian has pointed out, by remaining logged in you should have no problem entering the forums once your password has been set.

    As for the 120 Day password change requirement, that was implemented some time ago when these forums (under a different ownership) were compromised. And yes, it's true that some other forums do not require a password change every so often. However, for now, ours does.
    This information seems to be somewhat conflicting.
    First you suggest that I should be able to enter the forum once the password has been set and one has not logged out - which is exactly the case with me (except that didn't happen).

    But then you state that the 120-day forced password change is still implemented on this forum now.

    So should everyone get the 120-day password change or not?
    Seems some of us do and others do not.

  14. #14
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    58,841
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Rep Power
    53
    As far as I'm aware, the 120 Day password change requirement refers to everyone including the staff.

    What is conflicted? Once your new password is set and you remain logged in, you should not have to enter it again until it once more expires after 120 days. Is there something about that you don't understand?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the 120 Day password change requirement refers to everyone including the staff.

    What is conflicted? Once your new password is set and you remain logged in, you should not have to enter it again until it once more expires after 120 days. Is there something about that you don't understand?
    Well, it doesn't work like that.

    After I had to change the password, I now have to log in every single time I want to post a reply...like this time.

    To be specific - I received an email notification about your post.
    I clicked on the link in the email notification.

    I then get the same type of mac-forums page I posted earlier with the wide blank column at the right.
    What is odd is that at the bottom right there is the "Reply with Quote" option, but the "Reply" option is missing
    If I then click on the "Reply with Quote" option (which is the only one available, I get taken to the log in page
    User name and password there were prepopulated.
    I then select "Keep me logged in" and then the log in
    That gets me back to the post I want to reply to and now both te "Reply" and "Reply with Quote" options show up.

    So at least the "Keep me logged in" part now no longer works.
    Worked fine for the last 120 days - the forced password change must have caused this.

    Next time around I'll take a screen shot of every step

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. why did forum bot change its name
    By RustProofCorn in forum News and Community Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
  2. AEBS change from password protection to username\password
    By lampie73 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
  3. Can not change password for podcast with password
    By burepe in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •