Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Mojave. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Are you logged into Firefox? Do you have a Mozilla account?

Yes to both, and when I enter the User Name and Password into Mac Forums in a 'virgin' Firefox I get asked if I want to save the Password and I accept it.

Chrome's looking good at the moment.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pine man View Post

Yes to both, and when I enter the User Name and Password into Mac Forums in a 'virgin' Firefox I get asked if I want to save the Password and I accept it.

I really sympathise, you seem to have tried everything. I remember I went through a period where I had to enter the first letter of my name, then it would autofill the rest of my name and putting the cursor in the password box and clicking once autofill the password. That was obviously better than nothing but since I upgraded to Quantum I haven’t had a problem. I know I had to keep ticking the “keep me logged in” box.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just thought I'd try turning off synchronisation and log out of Firefox. Remove the User Name & Password from everywhere and reset the bookmark.

Didn't make the slightest bit of difference and I'm having second thoughts with Chrome.

Edit: Chrome is in the Trash! I had minor problems on both the PC & iMac and one of the iPhones is too old for it.

One day I'm sure Mac Forums will work with Firefox on my Mac until then I'll probably stop drinking wine and turn to Gin

One day I'm sure Mac Forums will work with Firefox on my Mac until then I'll probably stop drinking wine and turn to Gin
    Is it correct that FireFox worked fine with this forum until you were forced to make the password change?
    And does FireFox work on all the other forums where you use it?

I'm trying to establish if you are having the same problem I had or if yours is different.

Your Mac's Specs
    Firefox worked perfectly with Mac Forums until I changed the password and now it doesn't.

I have no problems with any other forums on my Mac using Firefox. Firefox & Mac Forums still works perfectly on my iPhone, iPad and PC.

It makes no difference whether I access Mac Forums from a bookmark or from the link in emails.

Having downloaded Chrome the password was retained ok but other issues changed my mind about using it as the default browser.

There is no problem accessing Mac Forums from Safari.

Edit: I just thought I'd change the password and see what happened as I hadn't tried that before. Exactly the same! It's definitely only an issue when I QUIT Firefox.
    Last edited by pine man; 07-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as the problem I had.I don't use iPhone, iPad or PC, so I don't know what the situation was there in my case.

However one difference - I have forum bookmrked in a folder tat is in the bookmark bar - not under "Bookmarks" at the very top of the screen, and for me auto-log in to this forum using that worked - at least for a few hours.

I'm going to look if I can find any notes how I resolved this - what bothers me now that I'm going to have that same problem once my next 120 days are up and I have to go through that password change again.

Your Mac's Specs
    However one difference - I have forum bookmrked in a folder tat is in the bookmark bar - not under "Bookmarks"

Actually that is where my bookmarks are as well but it makes no difference to how I launch Mac Forums wherever I start from.

However one difference - I have forum bookmrked in a folder tat is in the bookmark bar - not under "Bookmarks"

Actually that is where my bookmarks are as well but it makes no difference to how I launch Mac Forums wherever I start from.

I would doubt that it would really help, but maybe worth a try, and that's running Disk Utility > First Aid/Repair both "in place" and when booted from "Recovery HD". Maybe there's some sort of permission or something that's goofing things up, and all security stuff under Mojave seems to be really strict.

Anyway just a thought, but maybe worth giving it a shot and I doubt very much if the wine has got anything to do with it.

If so I'm in real trouble, but I don't and can't run Mojave. I do up my own wine at the local U-Brew and then it's bagged into 5 liter Mylar bags then put into their dispenser boxes. Not much variety that way but it works well and it sure is a lot cheaper.

PS: After my last compulsory forum password change auto log-in problems, I finally got it fixed as I did the previous time a few years ago, by waiting a few days and changing the password back to what I had originally and everything seems to work well with that method. Including Safari, Firefox and Chrome that is my main browser, all running in Mavericks, OS 10.9.5.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors

Yes to both, and when I enter the User Name and Password into Mac-Forums in a 'virgin' Firefox I get asked if I want to save the Password and I accept it.

pine man, if Firefox is giving you problems with passwords why don't you just switch to Safari?
    Carl
    Mac Pro 5.1,Dual 2.4GHz Xeon,10.13.6,4x6TB WDRedProHD,4x6TBExt.WDHD,USB3.0,128GB Memory,HD5870,Logitech Z-906 5.1THX Certified500/1000watt Dolby Sound System,ASUS Xonar U7 USB sound card connecting with Fiber Optic SPDIF,1st OpticalBay SuperDrive,2ndBay Pioneer BD-RW-208 BDK, ATI HD5870, Dual 32" HDTV as monitors

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Also, if you sign into the iCloud for winOS, Download iCloud for Windows - Apple Support, it will sync your macOS/iOS bookmarks with your winOS browser. IE by default, but with an add-on for other major browsers.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    maybe worth a try, and that's running Disk Utility > First Aid/Repair both "in place" and when booted from "Recovery HD".

I'll certainly give it a try, thanks.

if Firefox is giving you problems with passwords why don't you just switch to Safari?

It's only the Mac Forums password that won't play nicely but as far as Safari goes I always used to use it and a year or two back I changed to Firefox and I can't remember why? Maybe I'll change back.

if you sign into the iCloud for winOS, Download iCloud for Windows - Apple Support, it will sync your macOS/iOS bookmarks with your winOS browser.

I have it already on my PC and it is already set to sync Safari & Firefox.

Guys

I'll play around today and see how I get on but if I fail I'll probably go back to Safari.

Thanks to you all for your advice and guidance this really is an excellent forum with brilliant members who never cease to impress.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaa!!

I did it.

I uninstalled FireFox completely then removed everything from my Mac that even sniffed of Mozilla or Firefox. Next, I installed FireFox without logging in to it or enabling sync. I went to Mac Forums and entered my details and it worked. Quitting FireFox didn't have an adverse effect and my details were remembered.

All my original Bookmarks were added and I logged into FireFox and enabled sync. My details were still remembered by Mac Forums.

Last, but not least, I installed my Add Blockers, ensuring that Mac Forums were 'Trusted' as before and my details were still remembered by Mac Forums.

Clearly a gremlin had entered my FireFox and reinstallation solved it.

I am still going to experiment with different, cross platform, browsers but will probably stay with FireFox - at least for another 118 days!!!

Thanks everybody

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Bravo, Peter. Thanks for the feedback. Many may benefit from it.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Peter, that’s fantastic news. I thought I’d mentioned that, perhaps it was another post. I’ve done that with Firefox, Opera and Chrome in the past when they became corrupted or had problems I simply couldn’t fix but they were usually less subtle than your issue. Anyway glad it’s fixed now. My guess is logging into Mozilla won’t effect the fix but that’s up to you. Now I can stop wracking my brains for an explanation.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Bravo, Peter. Thanks for the feedback. Many may benefit from it.

Ian

+1!!!

Thanks.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information