Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Mojave. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I have tried removing the MacForums details from Key Chain, and the Firefox Saved Passwords, and input them again. No joy.

I would like to use Safari as my browser but there isn't a version for my PC so I use Firefox that can synchronise across iphones, iPads, iMac and PC.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time.

Your Mac's Specs
    I hate to have to say this BUT this problem only occurs on my iMac and NOT my PC

Take a look in this thread
    Forum won't remember my login

Around Post #67

That resolved the problem for me

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I just took a quick look through this thread - didn't see the "fix" for Firefox.

I think that was covered in a different thread - maybe Patrick remembers where.

I'm sorry I can't remember the exact details for a possible fix or where I posted them but I do remember I came across some that I posted looking to resolve the same problem I was having but with using Chrome, and it not doing an auto log-in with the new password.

Personally, I think the problem is with the site's version or settings in the vBulletin application it is using and between some browsers. I finally got the auto log-in to work properly when using Chrome by changing my password back to the original one I had in the first place, but it took a day or two to allow the changes to be made and to start working again properly.

That last part in bold seems to be fairly critical as to how things work properly or not. At least it seemed to be for me.

I'll have a look around when I have a minute to see what else I can find that may have anything to do with the problem and what I posted.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    krs & pm-r

Thanks for your interest and advice.

I have tried a variety of things and failed miserably so far.

I'm now going to have a shower followed by a bottle of Pinot Grigio!

I'll try further tomorrow!!

Have you done this? (post #67 from the other threat):
    Use the directions here and especially under the "Clear history for that site" topic in the FF Preferences:
    Fix login issues on websites that require a username and password | Firefox Help

When it's all virgin after starting FF, then also hit the :Remember Me" box,
    If I remember right, I just took the first step - clearing history.
    Didn't clear cookies since that would have meant wiping out all auto logins on all sites I access with FF.

That solved this problem for me using FireFox

So far it's stuck for me after several FF restarts.
    Last edited by krs; 07-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.

I have tried removing the MacForums details from Key Chain, and the Firefox Saved Passwords, and input them again. No joy.

I may be wrong, but I don't think FF uses any KeyChain stuff for any website login password stuff. I think it does use it's own settings and cache files and their contents that are completely separate.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I believe Patrick is correct about FF not using the keychain (which in my opinion is why it's troublesome) to store website passwords and other data. I do not use FF but when I ran Ubuntu on a PC that I used to own, FF was my browser of choice. I believe that FF is included with all versions of Ubuntu and many other distros of Linux.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    followed by a bottle of Pinot Grigio!
    Well done, Peter. In these difficult days, we all have to do our bit for the economy

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I believe Patrick is correct about FF not using the keychain (which in my opinion is why it's troublesome) to store website passwords and other data.
    FireFox definitely does NOT use keychain to store user name and password - that is a simple fact.

However, I don't think that makes FireFox troublesome in that regard - I use a lot of websites where FF is set to auto login and this forum is the only one I ever had a problem with in all the years.
    In fact, FF not using keychain has to be an advantage for FF because the FF developers now don't have to chase and modify their software to accommodate every change to keychain Apple comes up with.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @krs:

You have to keep in mind that FF is a browser which works in other operating systems besides macOS which would mean it's probably to its advantage to not use operating system specific keys. Like I said above, I used FF with Linux and it worked well, however, it has never worked well for me in macOS. Matter of choice I suppose but I just don't like it.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
    With all the passwords that are required everywhere having to come up with a new password for this forum seems very inconvenient and totally unnecessary. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!
    Mac Pro 5.1,Dual 2.4GHz Xeon,10.13.6,4x6TB WDRedProHD,4x6TBExt.WDHD,USB3.0,128GB Memory,HD5870,Logitech Z-906 5.1THX Certified500/1000watt Dolby Sound System,ASUS Xonar U7 USB sound card connecting with Fiber Optic SPDIF,1st OpticalBay SuperDrive,2ndBay Pioneer BD-RW-208 BDK, ATI HD5870, Dual 32" HDTV as monitors

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Password managers which I am a strong exponent of especially the free in house Enpass app make changing passwords about as easy as it gets. Click on “generate new password” copy and paste it into the new password field on the forum’s change password page and thereafter use the app to autofill or allow you browser to update the existing stored password.
    In my case I am using Firefox (I assume that everyone who is having problems with Firefox is actually logged into a Firefox account?) when I update by logging into Mac Forums on Firefox with my new password it immediately asks me if I want to update my stored password to which I answer yes and I never need to manually login again.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Good Morning all.

I have started again with a clear head - despite the Pinot Grigio!

First of all there was an update to Firefox, which I installed but that made no difference.

I have cleared all of the history in Firefox, I removed the Mac Forums Bookmark, I removed the Password entries in Firefox Saved Passwords and, just in case, removed the Password entries in Keychain. I re-entered my User Name and Password to log in to Mac Forums, ticked the Remember box and all appeared ok. I left the Mac Forums site and opened another site before accessing Mac Forums again by the new bookmark I had saved and it worked. I then quit Firefox.

I opened Firefox again then accessed Mac Forums via the new bookmark and............................................... .......my User Name and Password were gone so I had to log in again to post this item!!

I am going to have a go at Chrome, I think, but that involves adding it to an iMac, a PC, an iPad and two iPhones.

Maybe I'll try Chenin Blanc tonight!

Edit 11:21:- Chrome installed and seems to be running Mac Forums OK
    Last edited by pine man; 07-20-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I'll just repeat what I said in my last post because you certainly seem to have done everything else right and you didnt mention it. Are you logged into Firefox? Do you have a Mozilla account?
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information