Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Heh! My password for here rates 11 billion trillion years to crack. I think that qualifies as "strong."
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Out of interest - is any member here arectually accessing any website (other than this one) where a regular password change is mandated?
    I visit one, but it is a government site that has had a very strange password policy for many years. Things like a randomly generated keyboard screen where you had to click out your password, a requirement to change passwords on each visit before they would log you out, and now a requirement to change your password every 30 days.

Frankly, a much better approach to passwords might be to do testing on any passwords that are nominated for an account before allowing them to be used. If they are not strong, by whatever definition the board chooses, then they are rejected. Then the password need never expire, unless the site itself is hacked, in which case every user would have to create a new password (but that is the case today anyway).
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Ferrari, this is the only site, and I have more than 200 subscribed sites, that mandates a regular change. I do change my passwords regularly though. My password manager does a regular scan via Watchtower re the "Have You Been Pwned" site and gives me a list of compromised logins which I then change. My password for this site, according to the link krs provided would take 11 centuries to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    My password for this site, according to the link krs provided would take 11 centuries to crack.
    Nick actually provided the link, not me.

But does it really matter if it takes 11 centuries or 11days to crack a password?
    The few sites, primarily financial, where I enter my password manually, give me three or five tries. If I still get it wrong, they lock me out for a period of 15 minutes to an hour (depending on the site) before I can try again.
    By that time I have figured out what the password is and I log in, so I don't know what happens after another three (or five) tries. I'm sure they don't let you continue doing this for any length of time.

When people complain that their log in credentials were "hacked" - if one checks the details, they weren't really 'hacked' in the way we are discussing here - the user gave this information away to some smart 'bad gut' who used social engineering tools to get that information.

Thread Information