Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mac Forum Forced Password Change?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I always look at the logs and also who is online. If any Admin was doing anything I would see it and have not seen anything lately.

If anyone is going to be working on the forums Nick always posts a note telling us in case if affects the users using the forums.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Bravo, Dennis.

Ian
    Ian

I don't get it...

Now I'm back with the thread showing as three pages and having to log in again to post.

And I did nothing different than the last time - just clicked on the link in the email.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    All I can say is...nothing has changed on this end throughout the time this discussion has been taking place. The back & forth nature of things working one visit...and not working the next visit...has got to almost certainly be something on the user end. Otherwise all or many of us would be experiencing similar happenings.

Only thing I can suggest is use a 2nd computer (that's a virgin setup)...with no 3rd party apps or anything else user installed...and see what happens. Or go to an Apple Store & sign in with one of their computers...or sign in from a computer at a library.

You may also be able to create a new user account on your computer (not a new Mac-Forums account but a new computer user account on your computer)...and this may work.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I don't get it...

Now I'm back with the thread showing as three pages and having to log in again to post.

And I did nothing different than the last time - just clicked on the link in the email.

As you seem to be using Firefox for your browser, why not have a Look at your profile and settings Which apparently is where they are stored on a Mac:
    All of the changes you make in Firefox, like your home page, what toolbars you use, extensions you have installed, saved passwords and your bookmarks, are all stored in a special folder, called a profile. Your profile folder is stored in a separate place from the Firefox program so that, if something ever goes wrong with Firefox, your information will still be there. It also means you can uninstall Firefox without losing your settings and you don't have to reinstall Firefox to clear your information or troubleshoot a problem.
    How do I find my profile?
    Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data | Firefox Help

PS: I also use Firefox sometimes and I have no trouble accessing mac-forums, and my login Name and information and password is just where they say it should be, it all seems to work. Even after changing my login password as I was asked to do some months ago, and it just works and automatically logs me.

PPS: I will admit that I never logout regardless of browser I happen to be using, in case that makes a difference.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thanks for that Patrick.

It would seem the problem that member "krs" is having is something that he's going to have to try to find by the process of elimination. Nick gave him a good suggestion about creating another account and use that as a test to see if it may be something about his user profile that's causing the difficulties.

Your suggestion is also a good one. Not being familiar with Firefox, I didn't know that it stores a personal profile. That's something worthwhile looking in to.

Thanks Patrick,

I had already looked at the Firefox profile several times and checked the password saved there to make sure it is the one I had set.
    As I mentioned before - logging in automatically with Firefox works fine when I log in using the FF bookmark, so there is no problem that way.
    Where I have a problem is when I click on the link in the notification email.

What is also happening I just noticed is if I end up with the 'wrong' webpage when logging in via the email link, if I then log in via the FF bookmark (which works) and then go back and log in again using the same email link as before, it works.
    But it only seems to work for a certain period of time, eventually the link in the email takes me back to the forum web page where I'm not logged in.

Just now I actually had to wait 15 minutes before I could even try to log in because I used too many wrong log in attempts.
    Another thing I noticed is that when one resets the password, there are actually two emails that one is suppsed to get, on at least two occasions I only received one and on the forum website where one enters a new password, the original password filed was prepopulated, but with dots, so I assumed the software provided the correct password.

Last time around I received an email with a link and then a second email with a temporary password.
    I used the temporary password to change the password to match what is shown in the FF profile - let's see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Thanks for that Patrick.

It would seem the problem that member "krs" is having is something that he's going to have to try to find by the process of elimination. Nick gave him a good suggestion about creating another account and use that as a test to see if it may be something about his user profile that's causing the difficulties.
    I'll try that next, but I doubt this issue has anything to do with the FF user profile because I have been using that same one since I started posting, the only difference being the actual password.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I'll try that next, but I doubt this issue has anything to do with the FF user profile because I have been using that same one since I started posting, the only difference being the actual password.
    If referring to one of the suggestions I made earlier...the idea is not to try to create a new FF account/user profile...the idea is you're creating a new user account for your computer itself:

- Apple Drop Down menu
    - Users & Groups
    - Click on the + button (plus button) to create a new user.
    - Create the new user.
    - Click the "Create User" button.
    - Then log in as that new user on your computer.

* Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If referring to one of the suggestions I made earlier...the idea is not to try to create a new FF account/user profile...the idea is you're creating a new user account for your computer itself:
    Yes, I understood that.
    I actully have test user accounts on my Mac, just have not used them for a while.

For right now things seem to be OK.

Still good this morning.

What seems to have been the issue is that initially I only received one email when the password was reset.
    I only found out later, after several one-email password resets, that there should have been two emails.
    Probably clear if one reads the first reset email completely that there will be a second one, I just read up to the link in the email and clicked on that which I think gave me the option to log in again, but then I somehow ended up on the web page with the single "Reply with Quote" at the bottom which seemed to indicate I was logged in exceot that I was not.
    I posted several screenshots of that page, but none of the mods/admins ever commented how that would happen - getting to that page.
    That might have been a hint that the password reset was only sort of half complete.

In any case, everything is good so far using Firefox
    Also tried using Brave - works just as well except that Brave loads noticably faster.

Thread Information