Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Not receiving email notifications to subscribed threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If someone has an issue...need to specify the exact procedure (step by step) used that resulted in the issue. This way the issue can be investigated...to see what/how it happened...and if the issue can be duplicated via other user's attempts.

I belong to many different internet forums...many of them use different procedures for uploading images...and occasionally I run into issues uploading images on those sites since I may not have followed the proper procedure to the letter.
    On this forum, I find uploading an image is quite cumbersome - maybe there is a better, easier way, but I follow this procedure which is what I think the v-bulleting software outlines:
    In “Quick Reply” window, at bottom right
    1. Click on “Go Advanced”
    2. Then under Additional Options (bottom left), click on “Manage Attachments” - that shows valid file extensions underneath it
    3. That brings up a pop-up called File Upload Manager
    4. Click on “Add Files” (top right)
    5. That brings up another window within the pop-up where one can select ‘Upload Files from your Computer (which is the default) or Websites
    6. Then click on the “Browse” button
    7. That brings up the last folder on ones Mac that was used to upload a file previously
    8. One selects the file that one wishes to add to the post by double clicking or selecting ‘Open’
    9. Then in that same window with the ‘Browse’ button, select “Upload”
    10. This will upload the file and show it in the window below.
    11. Default is showing the uploaded file as a thumbnail, mine are images of various types, the thumbnails for all of them are a big question mark which isn’t really correct either
    12. Then drag the file you want to attach into the attachments field below
    13. Finally hit the “Done” button at bottom right
    14. That will show the attachment that was selected under “Manage Attachments” in step 2
    15. Finally click on Submit Reply (Bottom right)
    I also just tried 'Insert Image' directly from the "Quick Reply" window which is a lot faster but it just shows a 5-digit number as the attachment.
    Let's see what that does.

vbulletin invalid png.jpg

Let's try a different one

..... trying to upload the png image this way didn't work at all - at least I see nothing

When I use the "Insert Image" option on the "Quick Reply" window, I end up with this after I selected the file on my computer.
    I assume the black rectangle at the bottom centre is supposed to have some text in it????

Here is a screen shot:

Turns out inserting an image that easy way didn't work at all with a png file.

Here it is with the long 15 step procedure:

so that worked, but what is the black rectangle at the bottom for?

OK, I will stop posting now until I hear back from someone on these issues
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Hmm, here is what I do. Click on the Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 7.18.52 PM.pngicon in quick reply, choose "From Computer" then "Choose File" and use the Finder to find the image, then Click Upload and done. I don't think that's 15 steps, but 5. Maybe a few more in Finder to get to the file, but certainly not 15.

EDIT: While editing the image does show as a number, but when posted appears.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Hmm, here is what I do. Click on the Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 7.18.52 PM.pngicon in quick reply, choose "From Computer" then "Choose File" and use the Finder to find the image, then Click Upload and done. I don't think that's 15 steps, but 5. Maybe a few more in Finder to get to the file, but certainly not 15.

EDIT: While editing the image does show as a number, but when posted appears.
    I tried that shorter way but that doesn't always work.
    See my post 108 just ahead of yours.

The black box at the bottom of the image I posted in #108, is that also all filled in black for you?
    Seems to me there should be some text.

But the image in post 108 was first posted using the short approach you described and the result was that no image was posted at all.
    I then tried the longer 15 step one I described earlier and that way the image did get posted.

However, Patrick's original png image which started this second discussion in this thread would not show up in the folder where it was saved on my Mac using either approach.
    That in itself is odd.

I see we have another member with an email notification problem...and he is running macOS 10.14
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Your Mac's Specs
    No, I don't get that black box at all. I have never had that process fail unless the image was too large, in which case I get a message that I need to resize it and try again. I have uploaded jpg, png and gif files with that process. Don't know what to say to help.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I wonder if any of the issue have to do with browser Extensions/Add-ons.

Besides the fact that no one is listing their computers or specs when they are having issues? Without all the information, it's hard to diagnose where the issue starts or fails.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    krs sent me the image Patrick couldn't load to see if I could. Here it is:

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 1.17.40 PMxx.png

As you can see, it attached just fine using my 5 step process.

Don't know if that helps any, but the system did accept the file from me. I'm running Mojave, 10.14.6 on a mid-2015 MBPr using Safari 13.0.2. The extensions I have are 1Password, ABP, Ghostery and one from Parallels to open some websites in the Windows Virtual machine from Safari. I get emails announcing new posts to threads, but then no new ones until I go to that thread again. I do get the weekly summaries. My mail server has a robust anti-spam capability.

Don't know if any of that actually helps. I'm thinking there is some incompatibility in Patrick's system and browser and vBulletin.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    No, I don't get that black box at all.
    So what do you see?
    This:

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep. that's what I see. Except that instead of a file name, I see "no file selected."
    Jake

test post - deleted

Trying Patrick's png again

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 1.17.40 PMxxx.png

Well, thanks to the help of krs and Nick, I can now post again after changing my email address and password.

As for posting here using the "Insert Image" icon using Mavericks 10.9.5.Chrome Version 67.0.33 and I have no idea of what version vBulletin, it just says "Powered by vBulletin" at the bottom of the page, and this is what I get when I choose and use they upload window and as you can see multiple formats are listed and allowed:
    Add an Image from your computer
    Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    This is a .png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 9.58.40 AM.png

This is a .jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 9.58.40 AM.jpeg

It seems to me that either the Macos or vbulletin versions has dropped the graphic plugins or something for some users, either posting or viewing.
    Unfortunately, it seems to be a typical consistent inconsistency that many are having with the Mac OS and various software lately.

PS: I'm adding this note here to see if I get any email notification of any follow up email notification. I made a change to my settings and I just want to tag a post that I know I made well after the change.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 10-26-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    It seems to me that either the Macos or vbulletin versions has dropped the graphic plugins or something for some users, either posting or viewing.
    I don't understand how either MacOS or vBulletin can drops some graphic support for only SOME users. It's either all or none. And given that the vast majority aren't having issues with it, the more likely scenario is that it is something in your implementation, Patrick. I know you have examined your setup and are confident it is *not* you, but that doesn't run out your ISP or some other factor between the site and you.

In my years in IT, any time there as *one* user with an issue, it always turned out to be something in the user's setup. Central systems just don't target some users with issues.
    Jake

Thread Information