Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MacInWin
    Time for an Apple Watch forum?
    We have forums (fora?) for everything else, why not the Watch? I've looked and haven't found a really good Watch forum anywhere else.

From what I've been able to tell, there aren't enough Apple Watch related/specific discussion that is cluttering up a sub-forum to warrant it being pushed out. Now, it's entirely possible that people aren't discussing the Apple Watch due to a lack of a specific sub-forum dedicated to it...but chicken egg problem there..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    This has been mentioned before. I seem to remember around the August timeframe. I checked into how many Apple watch threads we had in the 2 months prior to that...and I think I found something like 5 threads.

Not saying it wouldn't be a great idea if we had lots of Apple Watch discussions. To be honest...can't remember seeing many (or any) Apple watch threads recently. We need a bunch of Apple Watch "traffic" for a new area to make sense.

Start a revolution Jake!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Now, it's entirely possible that people aren't discussing the Apple Watch due to a lack of a specific sub-forum dedicated to it...but chicken egg problem there..
    Very true Ashwin!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Just remembered. The description of the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" sub-forum was modified to help address the "Where does an Apple Watch question/thread go?":

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 4.45.13 PM.png

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
    We have an Apple Watch subforum on iPhoneForums. I haven't checked for posts in it because I use the "Active Topics" feed, but it seems to me that it hardly gets used.

I just checked. 49 threads in over a year, plus the usual spam that inactive subforums seem to attract. Of those 49 most seem to be purely chat threads like "Which watchface are you using?" Hardly earthmoving stuff.

MacInWin
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Just remembered. The description of the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" sub-forum was modified to help address the "Where does an Apple Watch question/thread go?":

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 4.45.13 PM.png

- Nick
    Not exactly high visibility there, Nick!

Seriously, I have just gotten an AW and am struck by the lack of any major boards anywhere. There are a few that have sporadic posts, but nothing near to this site in terms of friendliness and helpfulness. As Ashwin said, it's chicken/egg. So maybe if I keep this thread active there will be enough others coming out of the woodwork to make it useful.

Anyway, the latest version of the watchOS came out today, installed fine for me. I wasn't having any of the problems it fixed, but it is nice to know Apple is staying on top of it. My wife got it for me for our 50th anniversary last week, and I really like the thing. I didn't know if I "needed" one or not, but having it for a week now I don't know how I got along without it before. It's a combination watch, exercise band, heart monitor and iPhone extension all rolled into one. I usually end up with about 35% power left at bedtime even using it for exercise between 45 and 90 minutes/day. If you are on the fence about one, I say go for it!

Your Mac's Specs
    Just remembered this one, Jake. It may be of interest to you.

http://www.applewatchforum.net/forums/

Looking at the names of some of the contributors, I can tell you that there are some very knowledgeable people there.

MacInWin
    Kevin, I've been there. Knowledgable, but not very active over there. Most of the forums have mostly inactive threads from months ago. Maybe there isn't a "mass" of users large enough to ask a lot of questions. Frankly, the watch is pretty easy to use and "just works" so maybe a discussion forum isn't THAT useful. But we'll see what the response is here. So far I seem to be the only commenter who has one.

Your Mac's Specs
    Could be. I only knew it existed because one of the admins carries a link to it in his signature on the iOS forums. I'm not a member, or likely to become one.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Very good thread heading Jake. 'Time' for an Apple Watch forum!~!!
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    I head over to macrumors when I want to discuss the Apple Watch as I have not noticed a lot of people on this forum who have one or post about them. I was planning on heading over there to see if others had noticed the HUGE improvement in battery usage with the recent update to 3.1 (81% after 9 hours)

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thought I read somewhere that sales of the Apple Watch were down quite a bit and disappointing this past quarter?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Thought I read somewhere that sales of the Apple Watch were down quite a bit and disappointing this past quarter?
    Yes, sales are down for what was reported but with the Watch 2 just coming out recently those figures are not out yet. Also the iPhone 7 sales have not been as spectacular as hoped for but there may yet be a windfall with Samsung Note 7 switchers. Also the Watch is outselling other smartwatches.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/24/apple-watc...-market-share/

*** and that still does not mean we don't need an apple watch forum section ****

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Not exactly high visibility there, Nick!
    The main thing we were trying to address with that was insuring folks knew where to post an Apple Watch thread. Call it an in-between improvement...somewhere between having nothing Apple Watch related & a dedicated Apple watch sub-forum.

Obviously as a person who just got an Apple Watch you have a personal interest in something like this. If you have an Apple Watch question or concern...start a thread. I don't think the existence or non-existance of a dedicated Apple Watch sub-forum is going to change the quality of the responses you get or the number of responses you get.

I for one when visiting Mac-Forums always click on the "New Posts" link. Thus regardless of where a thread is posted...I see it. Maybe other folks do the same thing.

- Nick

Thread Information