Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mackeeper

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    I haven't seen a MacKeeper ad on here for quite some time - until this morning. Seems like it's getting rotated in on the AdChoices carousel.

I have asked many times that we do a better job of curating ads - particularly those for products like MacKeeper that are scareware at best, malware at worst. Unfortunately, our volunteer staff is far removed from these kinds of decisions. So, while we can ask, beg, and plead - at the end of the day, it's out of our hands.

I don't want to be dismissive of this concern - it is a valid criticism. When you prominently feature an ad at the top of the forum, I think there's a natural tendency for people to think the solution is endorsed by the forum. And since so many of our visitors are coming here looking for help, I'm sure that this is a very effective marketing tool for them.... and I can't tell you how much heartburn that gives me. With that said, I truly appreciate all of the damage control you do, both the staff and the senior members. Without your constant vigilance, I shudder to think what would become of our reputation.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    And seven years later MacKeeper is STILL being advertised here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I am seeing the Mackeeper banner 99% of the time I come to the forums now. The last 2-3 days for sure. It's right at the top of the page and says it's highly recommended.

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    And seven years later MacKeeper is STILL being advertised here...
    As I noted in the post you featured in your screenshot, I am painfully aware of it. We are working with the powers that be to try to find an amicable solution to this problem.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Mackeeper

Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini Late 2014, OS 10.14.6, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I haven't seen a MacKeeper ad on here for quite some time - until this morning. Seems like it's getting rotated in on the AdChoices carousel.
    Speaking of AdChoices, I just spotted this at the top of a forum page:

"How to Defrag Your iMac? + Defragment Your iMac in Minutes! + Follow The Simple Instructions... Mac-Defrag.softcity.com" This links to a scareware ad.

Caveat emptor!

Mackeeper

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    What about CleanMyMac? Or is that legit?

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    What about CleanMyMac? Or is that legit?
    I think CleanMyMac is held in about the same esteem as MacKeeper, though it's not quite as awful in my experience.

Really, both of these products don't do anything more than Onyx does. And Onyx is both well-respected and effective (and free too).

Mackeeper

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
    I think CleanMyMac is held in about the same esteem as MacKeeper, though it's not quite as awful in my experience.

Really, both of these products don't do anything more than Onyx does. And Onyx is both well-respected and effective (and free too).
    Yes I also use Onyx and greatly enjoy it. I recently discovered an application called Maintenance which is like a smaller version of Onyx. Though, I am still confused sometimes at what some certain functions do on Onyx.

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser1232 View Post
    Yes I also use Onyx and greatly enjoy it. I recently discovered an application called Maintenance which is like a smaller version of Onyx. Though, I am still confused sometimes at what some certain functions do on Onyx.
    Maintenance basically distills Onyx down to its essence - running routine maintenance tasks and tries to make Onyx more user-friendly. If you don't understand what certain functions in Onyx do, simply don't run them.

That said, OS X does a pretty decent job of maintaining itself. As long as you don't fill the system drive, leaving at least 15-20% free at all times, you pretty much don't need to worry about it. If you feel the need to maintain it (i.e., you're not having a specific problem, just want to be proactive) then you can run Onyx or Maintenance about once every 3-6 months. More often than that and you're defeating the point of some of the caches you'll be clearing.

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Mackeeper Ads
    Thanks for your feedback. We are working with our parent organization, iNet interactive to try to eliminate the MacKeeper ads.

I was fooled into believing MACkeeper was a 'good' product for a MAC, and purchased the product... but not on this forum...

Kudos To the forum admins if they remove those ads from this forum...

Paul Bounds
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by pbounds View Post
    I was fooled into believing MACkeeper was a 'good' product for a MAC, and purchased the product... but not on this forum...

Kudos To the forum admins if they remove those ads from this forum...

Paul Bounds
    Houston, TX
    I too was fooled into purchasing this absolute piece of cr*p lately as well, and strangely enough was from an annoying ad that kept popping up everywhere.

Well after stupidly clicking the link and seeing what it had to offer i was sitting on the fence thinking that it might actually help speed up my mac etc. So when i found a website offering a discount on it and being in the xmas spending habit i thought what the hell and purchased the most expensive option, and well you can guess the rest..

But after finally getting rid of it from my computer im now looking to get my money back, but am getting no reply either from their official website or from the coupon code site (although i doubt they are actually related to the Mackeeper developers).

All in all though, it seems like it was an expensive lesson to learn - But at lease it led me to this forum which looks pretty cool so far

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    "13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
    I'm not gonna claim to know what say internet communities have over the advertisers they host but in my experience one piece of information I've acquired is that in a lot of cases advertising is the reason a community is free for it's members to use (or possibly for it's admin to create and maintain) because they are the source of income.
    MacForums doesn't seem the type that this applies to, but again, not gonna make assumptions.

While I'm newer at MacForums so haven't really noticed the Ads here I've been thrown a MacKeeper pop-up Ad countless times while going about my internet activities and that's what tipped me off not to trust it. Never trust pop-up Ads.
    It also doesn't hurt that I am just a cautious person and only use security software approved by my stepfather who is an IT expert.

Considering how deceptively Ads are both placed and designed, for example in my case I tend to encounter the MacKeeper pop-up while browsing questionable web pages such as sources of media streaming that are considered illegal though also in some cases Tinypic which could be a play at the exposed concern factor, it's concieveable to me how folks could fall into their trap.
    I feel for those folks, such as Martin Hammond here, there have been ads, usually those ******* ones which tell you that your computer is infected which have briefly fooled me as well.

Martin, I'm betting that you're not being ignored by MacKeeper's "Support" team by accident, that the whole thing is a scam and I am sorry for your financial loss.
    Perhaps this thread may help you:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-rumo...r-refunds.html
    Last edited by HalfDemon; 02-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Can someone help me, I downloaded MacKeeper, at least that's what I think it is, and now my minecraft and other games don't run. Please help if you know how to fix this issue.

Mackeeper
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert110 View Post
    Please help if you know how to fix this issue.
    Uninstall MacKeeper.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information