Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    how about this, When new members come on the site and ask about jailbreaking. Can we kindly refer them to a site where they can find out this info? Instead of flaming the new member and treating them like their a criminal (which seems to be the case now)
    While I dont believe I have flamed or treated anyone like a criminal for asking about this topic...I for one would be happy to do this in the spirit of keeping this the great place it is. Would you have a link to said place that we could furnish ? If so I would be happy to pass it along.

Clay
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

Jailbrake question

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
    While I dont believe I have flamed or treated anyone like a criminal for asking about this topic...I for one would be happy to do this in the spirit of keeping this the great place it is. Would you have a link to said place that we could furnish ? If so I would be happy to pass it along.

Clay
    mmi.com

macrumors

Dev-Team Blog

that way we dont scare off the new people.

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    Agreed .

Clay

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    how about this, When new members come on the site and ask about jailbreaking. Can we kindly refer them to a site where they can find out this info? Instead of flaming the new member and treating them like their a criminal (which seems to be the case now)
    It wouldn't make much sense to enable someone to do something that we understand to be illegal. Think about it. Imagine you went on a general discussion forum and asked about making a bomb. The topic is verboten, but the staff tells you - oh here, go to this site - you can talk about it there. How would that be looked upon?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It wouldn't make much sense to enable someone to do something that we understand to be illegal. Think about it. Imagine you went on a general discussion forum and asked about making a bomb. The topic is verboten, but the staff tells you - oh here, go to this site - you can talk about it there. How would that be looked upon?

Another fine point. So where is the middle ground ? I for one frown on the subject (as you all know) But as Bargsbeer has aptly pointed out I dont want to chase new members away.

What to do
    Clay

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
    Another fine point. So where is the middle ground ? I for one frown on the subject (as you all know) But as Bargsbeer has aptly pointed out I dont want to chase new members away.

What to do
    Clay
    I think it's all in the way you word it. Something like "Unfortunately, that topic is forbidden here since the breaking of encryption mechanisms is in violation of the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act". This way, you're not calling them a criminal, just pointing out the policy.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I was just catching up on this thread...your response is exactly what I was thinking (in response to another members suggestion to point someone asking about Jail-breaking to another site).

My humble opinion..if a topic is "verboten" on this site...that should be the end of it...no being a "nice guy" and referring them to a site where it is ok to discuss.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    ...no being a "nice guy" and referring them to a site where it is ok to discuss.

- Nick
    Right. That's what Google is for.

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Here's one:

Jailbreaking voids your warranty, may result in a bricked iPod or iPhone upon a software update, gets no support from Apple or the Apple forum and due to possible legal implications at this time, no support from this forum.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    Agree bobtomay no support at all from this forum and saves all this PC ***** footing about that has happened from time to time. Pirates be pirates whatever they are called!

Jailbrake question

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Ok, Maybe the mods can get together and come up with something. My only point is that
    on a regular basis new members come to forum and ask about Jailbreaking, Those members leave and most likely don't come back.

I think we can all agree we don't want to scare people off. I understand certain things can't be discussed here.

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    My only point is that on a regular basis new members come to forum and ask about Jailbreaking, Those members leave and most likely don't come back.

I think we can all agree we don't want to scare people off. I understand certain things can't be discussed here.
    We also get quite a few new members who join, ask one question, get an answer...and never return (regardless of subject/topic).

Some folks just have a..."I've got a problem...I need a solution...goodbye relationship" with Mac-Forums!

Kind of like a one night stand...with no goodbye kiss!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast270mhz View Post
    I won't discuss Jailbreaking here, but accusing me of breaking the law by jailbreaking my ipod is stupid.
    Unless you can point out where someone accused YOU of jailbreaking, i think your statement really wasnt called for ..

This is a good idea, as there is a lot of conjecture out there about it. And if we can do this to the new member, in a political correctness style, i think it would benefit all

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
    Just everyone be themselves and don't do illegal things. Fairly simple.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Jailbrake question
    Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Just everyone be themselves and don't do illegal things. Fairly simple.
    Not everyone that be's themselves is a goody two shoes and follows the rules ..

Unfortunately
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information