Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro

    Member Since
    May 04, 2005
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    15
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Looking to see how much people think my MacBook Pro is worth and if there is any interest in it. Specs are below...

    2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Quad Core i7 2.2 Ghz CPU
    16 GB RAM
    2 x 500 GB SSD drives (Optical drive is removed and SSD is in it's place)
    AMD Radeon 6750m 1GB Video Card
    High resolution glossy screen (1680 x 1050)


    I still have the optical drive if the person wants it.

    Let me know what you guys think its worth. Thanks.
    15" Macbook Pro Quad i7 2.2/16GB/512GB SSD/Hi-Res
    iPhone 6 64 Gig

  2. #2
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Gary Brackins's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2011
    Location
    South Side of Massachusetts
    Posts
    86
    Your Mac's Specs
    2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
    Rep Power
    8
    is it early 2011 or late 2011? Is it a Radeon 6750M or 6770M graphic's card. I ask because I believe the 6750M is 512 MB and the 6770M is 1 GB.

  3. #3
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,353
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Check eBay sold listings.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    25,222
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Rep Power
    31
    One note the 6750M is a 512GB card not 1GB. With two SSDs suggest around the US$700.00 mark.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  5. #5
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Randy B. Singer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by iCeQuBe View Post
    Looking to see how much people think my MacBook Pro is worth...

    Let me know what you guys think its worth. .
    This Web site will very accurately tell you what your Macintosh is currently worth. It even takes your Mac's specs into account. And it's free!:

    Mac2Sell
    http://www.mac2sell.net/

    This is a service that purchases used Macs. They won't pay top dollar, but they are a sure thing and they make the process as easy as possible:

    Sell Your Mac
    http://www.sellyourmac.com/sell-your-used-mac.html

    It's more of a hassle, but usually you can get the best return for your old Mac if you sell it locally on Craig's List:

    Craig's List (free)
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

  6. #6
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro

    Member Since
    May 04, 2005
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brackins View Post
    is it early 2011 or late 2011? Is it a Radeon 6750M or 6770M graphic's card. I ask because I believe the 6750M is 512 MB and the 6770M is 1 GB.
    It is an early 2011 MacBook Pro, the video card is definitely a Radeon 6750M with 1GB of VRAM. The Late 2011 switched to the Radeon 6770m.

    From apple-history.com

    "2.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 750 GB hard disk, 4 GB of RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of VRAM, $2199"
    15" Macbook Pro Quad i7 2.2/16GB/512GB SSD/Hi-Res
    iPhone 6 64 Gig

  7. #7
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro

    Member Since
    May 04, 2005
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    This Web site will very accurately tell you what your Macintosh is currently worth. It even takes your Mac's specs into account. And it's free!:

    Mac2Sell
    http://www.mac2sell.net/

    This is a service that purchases used Macs. They won't pay top dollar, but they are a sure thing and they make the process as easy as possible:

    Sell Your Mac
    http://www.sellyourmac.com/sell-your-used-mac.html

    It's more of a hassle, but usually you can get the best return for your old Mac if you sell it locally on Craig's List:

    Craig's List (free)
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
    Thanks for the info! Mac2sell suggests $1460 which seems really high to me. I will look at eBay listings to see if there is anything comparable.
    15" Macbook Pro Quad i7 2.2/16GB/512GB SSD/Hi-Res
    iPhone 6 64 Gig

  8. #8
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,353
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by iCeQuBe View Post
    Thanks for the info! Mac2sell suggests $1460 which seems really high to me. I will look at eBay listings to see if there is anything comparable.
    I agree. I used to be a big fan of Mac2Sell…but their used computer value estimates (lately) in some cases are way off. Not sure if the folks running the website are still updating the website database.

    As I suggested above. Check eBay sold listings for same computer model & specs.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,507
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I agree. I used to be a big fan of Mac2Sell…but their used computer value estimates (lately) in some cases are way off. Not sure if the folks running the website are still updating the website database.

    - Nick
    After last night I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I ran my 2008 MacBook Pro through it yesterday to see if it would be worth paying a repair center to check it out. If I ran the numbers with the SSD included the value came out at $700 and $200 or so without it. There is no way the SSD alone adds $500 in value. That's twice what I paid for the SSD. Other sites that Randy linked to place the value at about $200.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  10. #10
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,353
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I ran my 2008 MacBook Pro through it yesterday to see if it would be worth paying a repair center to check it out. If I ran the numbers with the SSD included the value came out at $700 and $200 or so without it. There is no way the SSD alone adds $500 in value. That's twice what I paid for the SSD. Other sites that Randy linked to place the value at about $200.
    Geez. I would think that a 15" 2008 MBP would be worth more than $200. A 13" 2008 MBP sure. But not a 15".

    Yes…$700 with the SSD does seem pretty high.

    For what it's worth. 2008 Mac Pro 3,1's are selling for around $350 on eBay. Mac2Sell says almost $1400. Again…the Mac2Sell estimate is way off.

    These and other examples tend to make me feel that the Mac2Sell.com databases are not seeing much "love" lately…or someone is certainly asleep at the wheel!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,507
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    At $700.00 I'll consider letting the shop nearby take a look at it and decide depending upon their price quote. At $200.00 I'll do it myself and if the trackpad or camera connections get messed up oh well.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  12. #12
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,353
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    At $700.00 I'll consider letting the shop nearby take a look at it and decide depending upon their price quote. At $200.00 I'll do it myself and if the trackpad or camera connections get messed up oh well.
    Did a quick check on eBay sold listings. I'm seeing $175-$350. But $175-$250 mostly ($350 is more rare).

    I think that if you were to sell it…you would more than likely remove the SSD. Since it seems the SSD may be worth more than the computer.

    Get out your tools…bright light…ifixit.com procedure…and get er' done!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,507
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    I'm leaning heavily in that direction. I'd certainly be keeping the SSD so that certainly puts it on the low end of the range. But then again that's what I expected. I'd rather not damage the various connections that would be involved but I could always use the machine with an additional keyboard and trackpad (already have both).

    Edit: Thanks for checking that out Nick. Hadn't checked eBay yet. I rarely go there these days.
    Last edited by Slydude; 07-12-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added Thank you
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  14. #14
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,353
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I'd rather not damage the various connections that would be involved but I could always use the machine with an additional keyboard and trackpad (already have both).
    It always helps to have the proper tools. The screws & wired connections are very small & fiddly. Besides a good micro screwdriver set…I would also recommend a "spudger" for light prying, probing, and helping with disconnecting the small wired connections:

    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/TOOLBLKSTK/



    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  15. #15
    *Feeler* 2011 15" MacBook Pro
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,507
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    @Nick I have a spudger but I don't think it has a fine a tip as that one. I'll check though.

    @iCeQuBe Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. If this turns into a disaster, feel free to say "I told you so".
    Last edited by Slydude; 07-22-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Battery MacBook Pro 15" A1286 2011 vs. A1382 2011
    By stevegate in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
  3. Feeler: MacBook Pro 15" i5 Unibody
    By True Bassist in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  4. Feeler/FS- 13" MacBook Pro
    By Kalison in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
  5. Feeler: 15" 2.6 Macbook Pro
    By jaywong87 in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •