PDA

View Full Version : FileVault

amii
07-18-2015, 06:31 PM
I replaced my hard drive on my Mid 2011 mac with a SSD Kingston Hyperx 480gb.
Would turning FileVault on my Yosemite decrease the life span of the drive? How much performance lost should i be expecting?
Thanks in advance

chscag
07-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Turning on FileVault 2 should have no impact whatsoever on the life of your SSD. As far as a performance hit goes, it's so very slight that you won't notice it. Just make sure you do not forget your FileVault 2 key. Register it with Apple using your Apple ID. ;D

amii
07-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Turning on FileVault 2 should have no impact whatsoever on the life of your SSD. As far as a performance hit goes, it's so very slight that you won't notice it. Just make sure you do not forget your FileVault 2 key. Register it with Apple using your Apple ID. ;D
Great, Thank you!

amii
07-19-2015, 01:02 AM
I tried turning the FileVault on but I get the following error.

FileVault can’t be turned on for the disk “Macintosh HD”.

Some disk formats don’t support the recovery partition required by encryption. To use encryption, reinstall this version of OS X on a reformatted disk.

Rod Sprague
07-19-2015, 01:28 AM
If you ask me that's an omen.;D
Given the host of alternatives and the limited needs and advantages I would not use it at all.
You might like to google Proplems with File Vault before considering it further.

chscag
07-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Who formatted the disk and what format did they use? In order to use FileVault 2 the disk must be formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Any other format, or non Journaled, FileVault 2 can not be turned on.

amii
07-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Who formatted the disk and what format did they use? In order to use FileVault 2 the disk must be formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Any other format, or non Journaled, FileVault 2 can not be turned on.
The shop did.
Since I have the unknown trend micro file and this problem I have decided to format my hard drive and reinstall the OS.
Is this what I need to follow?
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18869?locale=en_US
And do I need any software or anything to for the SSD drive to be compatible with the OS? I notice the person who installed the OS has also installed a thing called SMART technologies. Not sure if that is the software for the hard drive.

chas_m
07-19-2015, 05:01 AM
Due to a past history of serious issues with Filevault, problems with installing or using some kinds of software, and MANY very unhappy customers who lost ALL their data because they either forgot the password or because it got corrupted, I cannot recommend Filevault at all unless you work for an agency that requires it. To be fair, because of this history I haven't investigated Filevault 2 as much, and perhaps it works better -- but the risk is too high for 99.9 percent of users IMHO.