Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Photo of the month: May 2011
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    Thanks, that would be appreciated.

On my iPad right now so don't have access, will try to send later today. Something else I thought to try is I haven't been using the loader to upload images, just been pasting the image link info from Photobucket into the post. I wad going to try using the upload icon to see if that makes a difference.
    Just remember that there's a size limit (I believe) when uploading that way. Besides, hot linking shouldn't make a difference so long as the compression rates aren't an issue.

Doug

This is a picture of my wife fighting with our poodle fighting over who's going to drive the Corvette.

Bill
    2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    This is a picture of my wife fighting with our poodle fighting over who's going to drive the Corvette.

Bill
    That's fighting? Wish my wife would "fight" with me over who drives our car.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    Just remember that there's a size limit (I believe) when uploading that way. Besides, hot linking shouldn't make a difference so long as the compression rates aren't an issue.

Doug
    Just tried it (actually just previewed the post without posting) and opened the original in Preview and did a side-by-side comparison and the original was far sharper. It makes me wonder if I may have messed up somehow in the upload to Photobucket. Will look at that and see what I can find out. The problem almost can't be on this end because I see a lot of sharp images posted in this thread.

EDIT: Duhhh! I just looked at the full size image on Photobucket and it is identical to what is posting here. So the problem is in the upload from my MBP to Photobucket.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    How are you processing your RAW files?

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    Here is the rose uploaded from ImageShack

[IMAGE DELETED IN THE INTEREST OF SANE FILE SIZES]

As far as processing the RAW file, I am using Aperture then exporting as a jpeg to upload to photo site.

EDIT: This obviously worked, but I apparently need to figure out a more appropriate filesize to upload!
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I can just make that out on my 65" screen -

Your Mac's Specs
    LMAO! Friendly tip, and what I do when resizing for the web: Take your total resolution and divide each one by 3 or 4, even... I never post original sizes for several reasons.. 1 theft.. 2 because of what you just did...lol

When I post to my Smugmug site, I usually divide by 3 and that still leaves huge sizes to view on mostly any monitor. Plus, you want to make sure that you're not letting it output to 300 ppi because then someone will be able to download and print it at a fairly large size. 75ppi is standard since that's what consumer monitors output as well.

Doug

P.S. when dividing, don't forget that portrait and landscape sizes will be different. But once you've figured out a good size for websites and such, those 4 values will be second nature to you. And for heaven's sake.. delete that monster!

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for all the help, Doug.
    It does look a lot better now. . . Wondering if a Mod took pity on me and reduced the file size. I'm on my iPad and it isn't blowing out my screen but that may be a function of safari on the iPad.

EDIT: Back on my MBP and the file size is still huge so I have deleted the image from the post above

Your Mac's Specs
    With Mike's permission... rose revised:

I did change the hue, so it's no longer the deep shade of red that it was obviously. A few other things going on such as increased exposure, some basic color alterations, a lot of desaturation but increased vibrance in order to retain color... I can give you an exact list of what I did, but if you don't use LR then it won't be of any real help to you I think. The most important aspect was increasing the exposure and adding fill light as well as using curves to fine tune the shadows, highlights and dark tones.

The border is just a vignette on the plus side rather than the usual - side. Of course there are a few little tweaks here and there outside of what I listed, but that's what usually goes into such a thing.. little tweak here, little bit there to season. Kind of like cooking.

I actually wanted to do a nice black and white conversion, but didn't have time. Might try that tonight. Oh... and of course, the sharpening that I forgot to mention. LR has a far superior sharpening algorithm to that of Aperture, which goes hand in hand with its noise reduction algorithm. You sharpen first, with a masking filter, and this tends to reduce luminance noise. This way, you don't have to mess with the luminance noise reduction as much.

The focus isn't as big an issue as I originally thought, but it's apparent that the lens is front focusing a little bit. Whether that's due to poor lighting or something else is beyond me right now.

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Doug,
    That does a lot more justice to the original than my post. And, I think your creative adjustments really make it pop.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks man, but it was your creation. Anybody can mess with post processing settings and do what I did. Ain't rocket science! But that right there is the benefit of shooting RAW. I likely wouldn't have been able to get it like that were it a jpg file.

I received a PM about the settings I used in LR so I figure that I would post another thread and go over them and why I did what I did, in case it benefits more than just one person. I'll link to it when I'm done.

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    That is really nice - post the original so we can see it. I was only able to actually see about a single petal the last time

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    That is really nice - post the original so we can see it. I was only able to actually see about a single petal the last time
    I think I can accommodate that one too:

Oops.. sorry about the watermark Mike.. Hope you don't mind. I'm feeling so lazy right now. I'll take it down if you'd like. But the original/original was heavily compressed for some reason and lacked any kind of sharpness whatsoever. That's what prompted this all.

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    I think I can accommodate that one too:

Oops.. sorry about the watermark Mike.. Hope you don't mind. I'm feeling so lazy right now. I'll take it down if you'd like. But the original/original was heavily compressed for some reason and lacked any kind of sharpness whatsoever. That's what prompted this all.

Doug
    I have no problem with the watermark at all, other than if some deranged individual offers you large sums of money for the image that you share it with me.

Thread Information