Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Got a series 3 Apple watch
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Well, after watching the Apple Key Note presentation of the new Series 4 Apple watch and new iPhones I caught the comment about the Series 3 being reduced to US $279.00 and though to myself I wonder if the Australian Apple Store will have also reduced the price of the series 3. As I am home in Australia for a short time I thought I'd just ring and check and yes, they had.
    So I am now the proud owner of a Series 3 GPS (non cellular) 38mm space grey Apple Watch.
    I really had no idea how good these things were. It unlocks my MBP, allows me to talk to Siri, makes phone calls (like **** Tracy), sends and receives messages, gives me weather forecasts, notifications and heaps of other things. I have hardly taken my iPhone out of my shoulder bag for the last 4 days except to charge it and set/change preferences for the watch.
    Yes, I am like a kid with a new toy but this device is amazing and I'm having a great time exploring it's features.
    Just thought I'd share that.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Congratulations on purchasing a new AW 3. Let us know how well it works when you get back to Bali. BTW, it's always great when Apple announces new devices and reduces the prices on the previous ones. Good time to purchase an iPhone 8.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Sounds really cool Rod...you sound very pleased with the purchase! Congrats!

- Nick

p.s. Very smart purchase timing as well. Always a good time to purchase the former stuff (price reductions)...right after the new stuff comes out.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by heyail View Post
    Nice! Thinking of buying one too but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it as often. Maybe I'll wait a year or so and buy one for second hand....
    Buying a second hand AW requires a great deal of scrutiny. You would be better off buying a refurbished AW direct from Apple. Apple refurbished devices are like new and come with a full warranty. Also, the savings are generally around 15% or more.

Buying a second hand AW requires a great deal of scrutiny.

Any special reasons for that Charlie???

Can one not just "nuke it" and start from scratch if needed?

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Any special reasons for that Charlie???

Can one not just "nuke it" and start from scratch if needed? Patrick

======
    It's because they're generally more fragile than other Apple devices and much more difficult to repair. About the only repairs Apple will make is to replace the glass or watch band. Other than that, they replace the entire AW. Also since folks wear the watch it means that it undergoes all the gyrations of the individual. (getting wet, fist fights, sliding into home plate, etc.) LOL.

Also since folks wear the watch it means that it undergoes all the gyrations of the individual. (getting wet, fist fights, sliding into home plate, etc.) LOL.

Well, maybe they can find one that some old retired rich couple is selling and only used the Apple watch on Sundays or maybe just weekends. LOL!!

I thought you implied that it was something to do with security, and I was curious to know what the security risk would be.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I was a bit surprised to find the native Notes app does not appear on the AW. It seems like a natural inclusion.
    I have been using Evernote on my MBP and iPhone for a while but found it overly complicated to use on the AW. So I went looking for a note taking app and eventually decided on Notes Watch. This is a simple note taking app which is easy to use and edit with dictation but does not have a lot of other unnecessary features (for me) such as calendar and contacts integration for To Do lists, appointments and whatnot.
    Sometimes I just want to take note of a name/number or create a shopping list that I can edit and this seems to fill the bill.
    I am impressed with how well Siri and dictation in general work on the AW. Obviously speech recognition has improved a bit since I last gave it a proper try.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    You mean your AW can understand Aussie talk? LOL.

BTW, in case you don't already know it, Evernote has changed its pricing plans and subscriptions. Most folks are now abandoning it and going with the free OneNote from MS.

Evernote has changed its pricing plans and subscriptions. Most folks are now abandoning it and going with the free OneNote from MS.

Not only users but I understand almost all the execs and many critical people recently left the company. Not exactly a good sign…

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, yes, I have just started getting notifications that I need to subscribe to retain certain free features. I might abandon ship now before I accumulate too much more data. Thanks for the advice.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    For Rod and any others thinking of abandoning Evernote, here's an article on how to Import all your Evernote Notes into Apple's Note app:

https://tidbits.com/2018/09/06/tipbi...m_medium=email

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    3.5 GHz Core i7 (I7-7567U) 8 GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    I am feeling so jealous
    Good for you
    Congrats
    Carly Swinson
    Web designer & CMS Developer
    Mac Lover

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    So I am now the proud owner of a Series 3 GPS (non cellular) 38mm space grey Apple Watch.
    I really had no idea how good these things were. It unlocks my MBP, allows me to talk to Siri, makes phone calls (like **** Tracy), sends and receives messages, gives me weather forecasts, notifications and heaps of other things. I have hardly taken my iPhone out of my shoulder bag for the last 4 days except to charge it and set/change preferences for the watch.
    Yes, I am like a kid with a new toy but this device is amazing and I'm having a great time exploring it's features.
    Just thought I'd share that.
    Wanted to say thanks again Rod for sharing your Apple Watch 3 experience. I know you're a discerning shopper...and if it had some short-comings...you would have mentioned it.

I've definitely been on the fence regarding getting an Apple Watch. I think when the Apple Watch first came out it had some drawbacks...later versions got better. But if you're saying the Apple Watch 3 is pretty solid + the reduced price...I may just have to go for it!

One question. How are you (or anyone else that may have an Apple watch) finding the 38mm size...do you think it's big enough? If you (theoretically) could have gotten the 42mm version for the exact same price (let's pretend it would have only been a cosmetic decision...smaller vs. bigger on your wrist)...would you have gone for the 42mm for the larger display & maybe easier "fingering" around?

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Nick, I was prepared to go for the 42mm model if it seemed worth it for ease of use and display. I tried both at the Apple store and found the buttons easy to use on the 38mm model, to my surprise. The smallest buttons I have to press are the numbers of my pin code (optional security feature) but I have not got it wrong even once. The other thing is that I am not a big build. 32cm waist. So big watches, which seem very fashionable/popular just look clumsy on my wrist, to me.
    The other thing is that many of the features can be accessed via Siri if you don't mind looking like a geek in public speaking to your wrist. Messages and notes are dictated so button pushing is not an issue for me.
    One of the things I like is the independence it gives me from my phone. I can leave the phone in the kitchen or in my shoulder bag and take a call on the watch. No more running into the house, then missing the call or fumbling with the zip on my bag when my hands are full.

Thread Information