Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Security issue for Apple Watch?
    Hi all,
    I have an original Apple Watch (42) and have noticed a potential security issue lately. Or was it my imagination?
    When putting on the watch after charging it, the lock icon was showing on the watch face, but swiping to access the numeric grid in order to enter my code, the watch just opened without entering any code at all.
    This has*happened twice now. Is it possible that the recent OSX High Sierra security debacle has affected the watch?
    Anyone else seen this issue?
    Last edited by chscag; 12-02-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Vague Title changed.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    What would the security issue regarding "Root" access and passwords have to do with an Apple Watch which uses an entirely different operating system?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    By chance have you had your iPhone unlocked - like you have picked it up and entered your pin, used touch ID or Face ID? The watch will let you bypass entering a pin if the iPhone it is paired to is unlocked and close by.

You can reproduce it. Just unlock your iPhone and then put your watch on. It should bypass the pin entry.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Normally I have to have the watch on first, so it detects that it is on my wrist by heartbeat, then unlocking my iPhone unlocks the Watch automatically. I've not had it work the other way, unlock iPhone first then put on Watch and it unlocks--nope, doesn't work that way for me.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    That works too Jake but it also works - for me- the way I described above. I do have an iPhone X and AW3. I am not sure if that makes a difference. It freaked me out the first time it happened but I played with it and discovered I could reproduce it.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    What would the security issue regarding "Root" access and passwords have to do with an Apple Watch which uses an entirely different operating system?
    Er...... that is why I was asking the question on this forum. Obviously, I am not a software guru.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    By chance have you had your iPhone unlocked - like you have picked it up and entered your pin, used touch ID or Face ID? The watch will let you bypass entering a pin if the iPhone it is paired to is unlocked and close by.

You can reproduce it. Just unlock your iPhone and then put your watch on. It should bypass the pin entry.

Lisa
    I did think about that scenario, but no, iPhone was nowhere near the watch and was locked.

Your Mac's Specs
    Lisa, I have tried what you say works for you and it NEVER works for me. I have an 8 and AW2, so maybe it's something new in the X and 3. In fact, unless the AW and 8 are in the same WiFi network even my method doesn't work. They don't seem to directly communicate, but use the Wifi as a go-between. Maybe it's the LTE components that are letting the AW3 communicate with the X?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    neilf, I have the AW2 and cannot duplicate your scenario at all. Are you brushing left to right or right to left? Left handed or Right handed setting for watch? What watch face are you using?
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    neilf, I have the AW2 and cannot duplicate your scenario at all. Are you brushing left to right or right to left? Left handed or Right handed setting for watch? What watch face are you using?
    Left hand setting. Utility watch face. If I remember correctly you have to swipe down to access the unlocking number grid. Not sure what you mean by brushing left to right or right to left?
    This doesn't happen every time I unlock the watch. Only remember seeing it twice. It may well be me being old and senile but I don't think so.
    Just to clarify, when I put the watch on in the morning, my iPhone is in another part of the house. I never use the iPhone before I put the watch on, so it must be locked, as that is how it is set up.

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, thanks for the information. All I have to do to get to the unlocking grid is to tap on the face of the watch while locked. I took your early post to mean swiping left or right, not up and down. I've just tried an up/down swipe on the locked face and on the number pad with the expected result that the watch stayed locked. So, at this point, I can't help you much with what you are seeing, sorry.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Opps! My bad - I forgot you have to change a setting for the iPhone to unlock your Watch. It is found in the Watch app on your iPhone under Passcode.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-u...g-your-iphone/

But it works once you set it up.

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    Neilf - I can't reproduce what you're experiencing (without bringing the iPhone into play). Consider unpairing and re-pairing.

Lisa/Jake,

I have an original Apple Watch and an iPhone X.

My results:

Phone locked - put watch on - both remain locked.
    Phone locked - put watch on - unlock phone - watch unlocks (works if on or off wifi).
    Unlock phone - put watch on - watch unlocks (only works if both are on same wifi).

It would seem to me that both being on the same wifi and the phone being unlocked there is a trust decision being made to allow unlocking of the watch. It also appears as though the factor here is the iPhone X rather than the AW version.
    I haven't tested if time is a factor and whether the phone being recently unlocked has an impact over it being unlocked for a longer period of time.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I have an iPhone 7 and AW 3 and I originally followed these instructions;
    On the Apple Watch

Open the Settings app.
    Scroll to the bottom of the list and tap on Passcode.
    Slide the switch next to Unlock with iPhone to the On position.

This always works for me. But as iclev has already said you can do the same thing on the iPhone AW app

Just in case anyone is unaware (sorry if I'm preaching to the converted here) One of the things I really like about my AW is that it unlocks my MBP.

How to enable Auto Unlock on your Mac

Click on the Apple icon () in the upper left corner of your screen.
    Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
    Click on Security & Privacy.
    Click on General.
    Tick the box to Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac. Auto Unlock will activate; this will take a few seconds.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @Rod:

Appreciate the reply, however, the thread is more than 18 months old.

Thread Information