Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apple TV vs just smart tv

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    Had an 18 year old tv and cable. Ditched both and just using my iPad for streaming from Crave, Netflix, etc. And enjoying it a lot. Researching getting a new tv to stream same. The apple store guys say get apple tv, the tv guys say Smart tv is enough. Canít get unbiased info. Suggestions? Good links for research? The posts here are several years old on this topic. Thanks for anything you can suggest. Have MacBook pro, iPhone,iPad and airport express just donít know how to proceed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    On the Smart TV question with the ones I have tried it depends on the set. The family in the front room have an expensive 4k Smart TV but downloads of apps for all the services out there are limited. They have Netflix but not even Hulu. My Smart TV has an Amazon Fire interface so anything from the Amazon store will work and they have all TV services I have ever wanted to try.

I know little about the Apple TV so will let someone else comment on that.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I think Dennis is right. You're almost going to have to look on a manufacturer by manufacturer basis. The models by TCL, for example, seem to be heavily dependent on the Roku ecosystem.

There is one thing I can tell you that may be worth investigating. Several manufacturers have added Airplay 2 support to some of their sets. This makes it easy to stream from IOS devices as you're doing now. Samsung has this on some of their models (mostly 2019 I think). LG is adding the Airplay 2 capabilities as a software update for their 219 models. I've seen a suggestion that they are also planning to include it in 2018 models in a future release.

Partial list of supported sets This list will probably be updated as the year progresses.

Based upon a few comments I read on their site the LG support staff does not seem very knowledgeable about AirPlay 2 in general. I have access to an LG that doesn't have access to AirPlay 2 yet. I'll try streaming something from an iPad with the current setup and see if that works.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks both. I guess it wonít be simple. I guess thatís why people stick with cable. Iíll keep researching.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I was pricing new sets recently and helping someone with this decision recently and here's another thing to consider doing depending upon your budget.

A 55" LG 4K TV was running about $800 on Amazon. (Doesn't have AirPlay 2 but probably gets it if they add AirPlay 2 to 2018 models).

Apple TV 4K about $200 US from Best Buy. That's still less than the cost of some 2019 models.
    Last edited by Slydude; 08-05-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    The set I have is a 4k HDR Insignia (Best Buy brand). Got a great deal on it. Not sure if it does Airplay. Will check into that but I love the Fire TV interface. I am used to that interface from the Amazon Fire TV so it's easy for me.

Your Mac's Specs
    More to think about. Iím going to have to make an excel sheet! Thanks for further ideas.

Your Mac's Specs
    Are you in a hurry to purchase a set or can you hold off for a bit? I ask for the following reasons:

1. Major electronics such as TVs tend to go on sale at certain times of the year. I'm not sure when that is in your area but in the US it tends to be the Black Friday (Friday after Thanksgiving in the US).

2. Apple is rolling out some additional features/services (probably sometime the Fall) including an increased focus on games among other things. I'll have to do some digging to see if that will be supported via AirPlay 2 and which Apple TV models will support it.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    No, not in a hurry at all. Was ready to live without tv at all but now enjoying streaming services so much on my iPad starting to think about a tv again. It didnít use to be so complicated to buy a tv.

Iíll check out the sales. We have black days too and Iíll follow whatís new on Apple sites. Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    I was able to find an app that allows streaming from an iPhone to the LG TV I linked to above without using AirPlay 2. I was able to use this app to stream the video. There is some video that it will not stream including Netflix and Hulu among others (see the description). That may not be as much of an issue as one would think because the TV has apps available for streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, (buttons on the remote take you directly to these services) and a few others.

I had to try once or twice to get the software working but it's not too difficult. You do have to have to do the following:

1. You must download an app from the iPhone Store and a partner app from the LG content store (both free but have a premium mode for additional features).

2. The iPhone and TV must be on the same wireless network.

3. You must enter your phone's IP address into the LG app but the phone part of the app helps with this by displaying the phone's IP address during setup. There s also a setup video which I didn't watch.

I have not tested this with movie-length videos yet but the developer says it works.
    Last edited by Slydude; 08-07-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh thanks. Iíll check it out. Thanks for the info and help

Your Mac's Specs
    You're welcome.

I'm going to keep an eye on this myself to see which manufacturers add Airplay 2.
    Kevin Durant

Test!! I can't get my post to post again!!!

Really annoying.

I'll try again later with the info I had for Diane.

- Patrick
    ======

@DianeVan
    The apple store guys say get apple tv, the tv guys say Smart tv is enough. Can’t get unbiased info. Suggestions?
    Diane, I'm assuming you're from Vancouver BC and not Vancouver, Washington State and I'm just about to make it all a little bit more confusing for you.

We recently went through such an update, only because my wife arrived home (after a quick phone call to check) with a 65in Samsung 4K SMART TV from our local Costco store as it was on SUPER SALE that was just about to expire.

For such a TV I would suggest going to their Canadian site to learn more, which will probably make things much easier for you as far as doing investigative work.

One critical thing I discovered is that the models they bring into Canada often a very and are different from those that are brought into the US.

Part #1

- Patrick
    ======

- - - Updated - - -

@DianeVan

Part #2

We still have cable and a basic Shaw package, as well as the Apple TV we already had, along with the 5.1 surround system, CD/DVD player, and Shaw PVR.

The 6000 series Samsung only had TWO HDMI ports (some others have THREE) to connect all our media devices but a $20 adapter took care of the shortage of ports.

For more details check their Canadian site:
    Samsung TV - Stream from your iPhone to your TV with AirPlay | Samsung Support CA

My wife is the main watcher and everything seems to work well for her, otherwise I would certainly hear about it.

As far as I could tell after doing post-purchase research nearly all mid to high-end TV sets all had SMART already built in and very few could be purchased without.

A main concern for you would be to check whether they have AirPlay or not possibly. The 2018 Samsung 65" 6000?? model we got certainly does and it also has a fairly decent rating. The major selling point was the price was right and my wife had been wanting a newer TV. SWMBO just happened to get it right and I was sure not about to argue.

So in reality, I don't think there's very much to research. But do stick with the Canadian sites if and when you do. Most of the TV manufacturers and the retailers seem to have already figured out what sets we should be purchasing.

PS: We ended up with the 65" set as it was the recommended size for our normal viewing distance in our family room. My wife was originally going to purchase the 55-inch model.

I hops this info helps a bit.

End part #2

- Patrick
    ======

OT: Hmmm... I don't know what has happened or changed with posting here at Mac forums but anyway finally got my post up by spreading over two posts to get it it yet it shows up as one post.

I have no idea why it would not post with all the text as a single post yesterday or today, nor from the auto restore or a copy I had.

This problem seems to be happening more frequently with a larger posts and I have no idea if it's just me having trouble or not.

Anyway, determination and stubbornness wins sometimes.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information