Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apple TV vs just smart tv
    Just testing again. Please just ignore.

I seem to be having some problems getting some posts to work, even some short ones don't always get sent.

Is someone working on the servers or making some changes???

EDIT: Hey nice, this last one was instant and actually worked properly.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @DianeVan

Diane, I'm assuming you're from Vancouver BC and not Vancouver, Washington State and I'm just about to make it all a little bit more confusing for you.

We recently went through such an update, only because my wife arrived home (after a quick phone call to check) with a 65in Samsung 4K SMART TV from our local Costco store as it was on SUPER SALE that was just about to expire.

For such a TV I would suggest going to their Canadian site to learn more, which will probably make things much easier for you as far as doing investigative work.

One critical thing I discovered is that the models they bring into Canada often a very and are different from those that are brought into the US.

Part #1

- Patrick
    ======

- - - Updated - - -

@DianeVan

Part #2

We still have cable and a basic Shaw package, as well as the Apple TV we already had, along with the 5.1 surround system, CD/DVD player, and Shaw PVR.

The 6000 series Samsung only had TWO HDMI ports (some others have THREE) to connect all our media devices but a $20 adapter took care of the shortage of ports.

For more details check their Canadian site:
    Samsung TV - Stream from your iPhone to your TV with AirPlay | Samsung Support CA

My wife is the main watcher and everything seems to work well for her, otherwise I would certainly hear about it.

As far as I could tell after doing post-purchase research nearly all mid to high-end TV sets all had SMART already built in and very few could be purchased without.

A main concern for you would be to check whether they have AirPlay or not possibly. The 2018 Samsung 65" 6000?? model we got certainly does and it also has a fairly decent rating. The major selling point was the price was right and my wife had been wanting a newer TV. SWMBO just happened to get it right and I was sure not about to argue.

So in reality, I don't think there's very much to research. But do stick with the Canadian sites if and when you do. Most of the TV manufacturers and the retailers seem to have already figured out what sets we should be purchasing.

PS: We ended up with the 65" set as it was the recommended size for our normal viewing distance in our family room. My wife was originally going to purchase the 55-inch model.

I hops this info helps a bit.

End part #2

- Patrick
    ======
    Thanks Patrick. Yes I am in Vancouver, BC. I was just at Costco today actually. Only buying food not looking at TVs. I guess I should go back and look at TVs too.

I hope to find the very smallest TV possible. I just donít like those great big things in my living room. Sounds like Iím a grumpy old lady. Yes I am. But thanks to you and slydude at least now I have some good questions to ask and things to find out when I do talk to the TV sales men. Iím making a list. Thanks for all your help.

Diane

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

I hope to find the very smallest TV possible.

In that case, why not just carry on using your iPad??? You can't get much smaller than that, at least for enjoyable viewing for a set of old eyes.

If you want a TV with decent resolution and any SMART built-in, which nearly all of them will have these days, probably the smallest you will find will be about 30 in. Unless of course, you get into some of the exotic special small screen TVs which will cost you a fortune or close to it at least in comparison to most normal sets.

PS: What was wrong with your old set???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    I may just do with the iPad. But I miss the tv and itís nice if I have guests or want to watch while working in the kitchen. My old tv was about 15 years old and getting dim, no HDMI.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    For me with my Eyes getting old and seriously watching movies, I want a larger screen than any iPad can provide and also like was said so other people can watch also. Smallest I can deal with is 32" but for really good 4k the screen needs to be even larger to really enjoy the difference.

I have a smart TV at home but I also bought Apple TV and I have that connected to it. I can stream everything on it so it covers all bases.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I have no idea if it's just me having trouble or not.
    I think it's just you, Patrick. I haven't had any troubles with any sized posting here at all. Has anything changed at your end?
    Jake

I think it's just you, Patrick. I haven't had any troubles with any sized posting here at all. Has anything changed at your end?

Actually Jake, I don't know what the problem is when I post and it won't actually post, but it is intermittent and infrequent and I can sometimes get the message posted by just posting part(s) of it. When the problem occurs, things act as o the post is being sent for a very short time and then the web page goes back to another previous one I had been looking at, usually the list of topics but not to the page I was posting to.

And the blockage or new posting can't be due to any naughty words as I can usually get the original text posted one way or the other.

And no, I haven't changed anything at my end.

Nor can I account for not getting any email subscription notifications which is another problem but it is not intermittent and has been going on for over a week now.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    @pm-r, does it happen with all browsers?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information