Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Apple TV 4 low volume with tv speakers
    Low dialogue volume with Netflix, hbo now, etc. The sorround sound is set to "best available". I have a 1080p Sony tv.

Do I have to set the sound to stereo since I'm using tv speakers? I noticed once I set it to stereo I get louder dialogue, but then it's not the best quality?

My roku premiere sound is on Dolby and the sound is super loud.

Apple TV 4 low volume with tv speakers
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by purell View Post
    Low dialogue volume with Netflix, hbo now, etc. The sorround sound is set to "best available". I have a 1080p Sony tv.

Do I have to set the sound to stereo since I'm using tv speakers? I noticed once I set it to stereo I get louder dialogue, but then it's not the best quality?

My roku premiere sound is on Dolby and the sound is super loud.
    What do you consider to be "best quality"? Are you happy with the "super loud" volume you get from the Roku?

Here's the thing about dialogue... the center speaker in a surround sound system is where dialogue is largely directed to in surround sound systems. But you are using your TV's speakers, and even if that "technically" supports surround sound tracks like Dolby 5.1, you simply do not have true surround sound because the speakers are all in front of you. More importantly, the drivers are too small to give you adequate detail separated from the other sounds. The Roku may be using "tricks" to compensate for this by amplifying the center channel, but it's going to be at the expense of other sound details because you only have so much amperage to go around.

My advice is to simply use stereo. If you want surround sound, get an AVR and some decent speakers spread out around your room. Only then will you truly have "surround" sound.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information