Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Syncing

Syncing
    Every time I edit a song on itunes and then play it on APPLE TV it does not keep the edit but resorts back to the original pre edited version. Anyone know how this can be fixed? Thanks.

Syncing
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    What exactly do you mean by editing? Are you editing metadata, the song file, using another application or within iTunes?

Also, are you using Apple Music and / or iCloud Music Library?
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Thanks for responding. I have taken a song from one of my PLAYLISTS in iTUNES and edited the end about 7 seconds but when I go to APPLE TV / COMPUTERS / MY MUSIC it plays the UNEDITED version. That is the problem.

Syncing
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Again, what app are you using to edit the file? Are you just setting the end time in iTunes or using some editing tool to cut the end?
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Thanks a lot again for getting back to me. I do the end time in iTunes and do not use any other app. I appreciate all your help.

Syncing
    Your Mac's Specs
    All right, the end time in iTunes is only respected by iTunes itself. Hence, if you play the song on any other device, that won't be respected. This is an arcane iTunes feature (similar to Stars and Play Counts) that isn't adopted in the iOS or tvOS Music apps.

You would have to actually edit the file using something like GarageBand - that is assuming you are not listening from Apple Music, but rather own the file (ripped from a CD or otherwise purchased in a DRM-free format).

Well that explains it. Thank you very much for telling me. I spoke to a Senior Apple Adviser a week ago about this and he was stumped!! But you are the only one to come up with the answer. The song actually does play on my iphone 6S plus but I guess that's because it was plugged into my IMAC and then synced from iTUNES. Many thanks again.

Syncing
    Your Mac's Specs
    It's possible that iOS respects the setting for locally synced songs from iTunes. Actually I'm quite sure it does, as I have used this in the past.

You are a damn genius sir. You make the "Senior advisers" at Apple look like grade school kids!! Thanks again. This was driving me crazy. Paul

Thread Information