Goldman Sachs says second-gen iPhone is in "final design phase," Apple TV to get LCD

Your Mac's Specs
    G4 Cube
    Goldman Sachs says second-gen iPhone is in "final design phase," Apple TV to get LCD
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Your Mac's Specs
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Why would Jobs release a 3G iphone now. I thought all the 1st Gen users would be mad it's updated so quickly. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also why have a LCD with apple TV. Qould it be on the actual device itself or a separate thing?

Your Mac's Specs
    macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
    did anyone else notice that the sponsor on the web page is verizon? If i were them i wouldn't want to be sponsoring any news about a phone that i do not offer.

Your Mac's Specs
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz
    I just read another article on iphoneblab stating that the second gen iPhones would most likely come out with 3g, and there is word of them coming out in June 2008.

Now, I know when I purchased my iPhone that there was always the possibility of a second gen phone coming out with 3g. However, I think that it is ridiculous that they would release a second gen phone only a year from the original phone. That means that no one is even close to finishing there two year contract! Everyone will have at least a year left, and so I hope that AT&T and Apple have some sort of solution for first gen owners, if they release a 3g iPhone at that time.

Your Mac's Specs
    G4 Cube
    Why WOULDN'T they release a 3G phone next year? A year is a long time in the technical arena. I don't really see anywhere else for them to go...the only other option they have is is to upgrade the memory to 16 or 32gb...they need more selling points than that, and software selling points won't really cut it. 3G works in the Razr, it will work in the iPhone. First-gen buyers knew that Apple would eventually release a 3G (or equivalent high-speed) model in the future...if they didn't want to deal with the reality of that they wouldn't have bought the phone in the first place.

I am content with EDGE on my phone and will most likely upgrade when they offer a 3G model, but I'm not complaining because that's just how the computer field works. You can't get mad at progress. A year is a looooong time between model revisions.
    Mac Sites - down for reconstruction

Your Mac's Specs
    MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
    Those with two year contracts can wait until 2009, when the 3rd generation iPhone is released.

As a canadian and non iphone user (probably wouldnt be one anyway) I dont understand how anyone can complain about new, better products? why should apple wait 2 years to release a new phone, their product ccycles are not based on your cellphone contract, wow, they give you 4gigers one measly gift certificate and you think your entitled to a refund everytime jobs decides to blow his nose. I dont know if you heard but Apple is in the business of making money and they are a computer company, those to things together usually means shorter product cycles. Come on, you fanboys cant pretend like this is a real shocker, the you had to assume 3g was an eventuality, the iphone is already behind without 3g right now, and at the end of the day you can always buy out your old contract and start a new one since clearly an edge iphone which was clearly good enough in 2007 is not good enough in 2008.

Your Mac's Specs
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    Why would this be bad for 1st gen iPhone owners? It seems like there will just be a software update that would provide support for 3G..

Does anyone understand the iPhone hardware well enough to know this is possible?

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
    Is anyone really suprised?
    Nokia release a batch of new phones every 6 months, considering Nokia is apples biggest competitor in the mobile phone market, why should they be any different? Yeah, it sucks bigtime, but the phone market changes constantly - they have to make changes or be shafted by the competition.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up or flame here - but apple deliberatly gave the iphone a crap camera, no video camera function, no youtube uploading and no 3g support so they can include it in future models. Why would they give the iphone everything you ever needed in a phone the first time round? there would be no point in ever upgrading.

Its the same with all products - mac or otherwise. I bought a new imac 3 months ago, yeah - when they update it i'll be mad, but it happens.

Your Mac's Specs
    macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
    Is anyone really suprised?
    Nokia release a batch of new phones every 6 months, considering Nokia is apples biggest competitor in the mobile phone market, why should they be any different? Yeah, it sucks bigtime, but the phone market changes constantly - they have to make changes or be shafted by the competition.

Its the same with all products - mac or otherwise. I bought a new imac 3 months ago, yeah - when they update it i'll be mad, but it happens.
    Agreed. New phones come out all the time, it is part of staying competitive. It is the technology business after all. Their goal is to come out with new and better products.

Besides it is not like apple is alone in this. Before my iphone i had a blackberry. Just after I bought it they came out with a new model. I didn't get any compensation for buying a phone just before the upgrade. Nor did i expect it

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook
    "Goldman Sachs says second-gen iPhone is in "final design phase"........ "

What's wrong with this statement?

....oh yeah, it doesn't say "Apple says....."

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    Why would Jobs release a 3G iphone now. I thought all the 1st Gen users would be mad it's updated so quickly. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also why have a LCD with apple TV. Qould it be on the actual device itself or a separate thing?
    why does everyone think jobs cares?? he is a businessman, he wont care what the 1st gen owners think, he already has their money. do you think he got to the head of a huge company by caring? no, he is a ruthless business man, he has to be or he wouldnt run the business well..

thats the only reason apple exist. to make money. they really dont care any more thna the fine balance between keeping people happy enough to keep buying their stuff..

EVERY company brings out products when it suits them. not when it suits any previous customers.
    despite apple's friendly image this still applies to them too..

two year contract? thing about it folks does it really matter? Apple controls the price of the phone not AT&T there is no discount for the Iphone but there is a discount on the service plan for the Iphone compared to black berries.
    So if there is a 2nd gen released with in the two year I and other will upgrade to it and simply expend our contract another year. So instead of having only a year to go they will extend me again to a two year contract over riding my past contract. (use to sell cell phones and plans) Thats how I can see this playing out. no big deal even if they make it a 3 year plan if you break contract its 175. in the NYC area at least for most carriers Its alot but its bearable if you really get sick of your service provider.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
    I would get one under two conditions.

1) It HAS to have 3G at the 20 dollar a month price point.

2) After the price drop.

Your Mac's Specs
    Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgti View Post
    Why would this be bad for 1st gen iPhone owners? It seems like there will just be a software update that would provide support for 3G..

Does anyone understand the iPhone hardware well enough to know this is possible?
    3g requires a 3G radio. Not included in first iphone.

you people dont realize the iphones marginal battery life will get shorter with 3g it eats it up. sure a razr can run 3g all day but it doesnt have osx and all the enriched content, video player, real web browsing. which all takes more processing and power than a razr.

ill enjoy my 1st gen and wait it out till the 32-64 GB mark is reached.
    as quick as flash memory is evolving it will be sooner than you think
    Not a fanboy just enlightened.

Thread Information