Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looks like Apple may go with ARM processors in 2021
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Oh gosh, I hope my 2015 MBP can last till then. I was just coming round to accepting the idea of the next generation of Intel chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    LOL, from Motorola to PPC to Intel to ARM. Anyone who has plans to buy a new Mac this year might want to hang on for a bit longer....

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I saw something recently which also hinted that the AMD Ryzen chip was also being considered. I guess we'll find out whenever an official announcement is made.

To me the ARM processor change is probably more likely. That would seem to make even tighter integration between the iPone and Mac possible. Sidecar seems to already be hinting in that direction.

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Agreed, it seems not only logical but beneficial for Apple to with ARM if they're going to change.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    It looks like they plan phase the ARM processors in. This will allow them to bring iOS and MacOS together to make one OS version. Also the ARM processors are reputed to be much faster and more efficient. Plus Apple can control and manufacture ARM processors themselves thus no need for outside supplies like Intel or AMD.

My biggest concerns are will the app developers make the switch and how much will it cost me to upgrade my current apps. Also looks like there might not be a way to run Windows? A lot of questions. We shall see.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I saw something recently which also hinted that the AMD Ryzen chip was also being considered. I guess we'll find out whenever an official announcement is made.

To me the ARM processor change is probably more likely. That would seem to make even tighter integration between the iPone and Mac possible.
    I've been following this closely for a while now.

It seem likely that Apple will move to ARM for most of their laptop computers and minis at least, but they may move to AMD processors for their professional level computers.

There are already excellent Intel emulators for ARM, so the transition should be mostly seamless.

The most interesting thing is that Intel charges Apple hundreds of dollars for each one of their processors. Apple can cut that to just a fraction of the price using their own processors. So the question in my mind is, once Apple starts saving a ton of money on each computer they sell whether Apple will decide to lower consumer prices to choke their competition, or will they keep their prices steady and just rake in more money?

Time will tell.

Apple will almost certainly make it so that Mac apps run on iOS devices and vice versa. That's part of what the move to 64-bit was all about.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Right at the moment with the global supply chain somewhat disrupted and the probability that things will get worse before they get better with the Novel Corona Virus I think it may be a bit presumptious to predict anything much at the moment.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

To me the ARM processor change is probably more likely. That would seem to make even tighter integration between the iPone and Mac possible. Sidecar seems to already be hinting in that direction.

Sly, what bugs me about all this is Apple has lied many times and said they would NEVER combine the two (IOS and Mac OS). "IF" they do I am disappointed. That is one reason I really do not like windows 10. It's Tablet and computer in one OS.

I would wish they would go AMD Ryzen for their desktop systems and the Mac Pro as the top end Ryzen dusts Intel and has so many cores. Very good and fast CPU. BUT I doubt they will at least with the Laptops as they want to keep it all In House. I guess time will tell what they are doing.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 02-28-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    So, then there will be "one OS to rule them all"
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @Dennis You right. Users have been hinting for some time now that Apple's goal was to produce one OS for both computers IOS devices.

To me the question is going to boil down to one thing: Can the ARM processor be made to work well in macOS (without Win 10 type issues)? I haven't followed this too closely but I'd bet yjat there are some things / tasks where the ARM processor will work well and other tasks where the Ryzen processor would be best.

If my iMac holds out as long as my MB Pro has the dust will be well settled before I have to buy a new machine.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    ...what bugs me about all this is Apple has lied many times and said they would NEVER combine the two (IOS and Mac OS)...That is one reason I really do not like windows 10. It's Tablet and computer in one OS.
    There have been no rumors whatsoever about Apple merging the Mac OS with iOS.

Apple allowing some Mac apps to run in iOS, and some iOS apps to run in Mac OS is not a merging of the operating systems.

And Apple has never "lied" about the above. They have said that the Mac OS is optimized for computers with keyboards and mice, and that iOS is optimized for touchscreen devices. Near as I can tell, that will continue to be an advantage that Apple has over Windows; they will use an OS appropriate for the type of device it is running on.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    Good morning all, All this is way above my head!!! I am very pleased that I will not be purchasing a new machine in the near future (if at all at my age) there seems to be too many ifs and buts involved on this one. The pc's I have now will outlast my lifetime thank goodness. My old Mac mini still resides on my desk ready to be unboxed and powered up, it is six years old now and was working when I put it away due to being presented with my iMac as a birthday present from the family. Please excuse this diversion from the High Tech stuff in the post!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    There have been no rumors whatsoever about Apple merging the Mac OS with iOS.

Apple allowing some Mac apps to run in iOS, and some iOS apps to run in Mac OS is not a merging of the operating systems.

And Apple has never "lied" about the above. They have said that the Mac OS is optimized for computers with keyboards and mice, and that iOS is optimized for touchscreen devices. Near as I can tell, that will continue to be an advantage that Apple has over Windows; they will use an OS appropriate for the type of device it is running on.
    one of our members posted before you and I did saying Apple was merging IOS and Mac OS into ONE os. Thus my post commenting on that. Only time will tell exactly what Apple will do.

Also I said IF they do. Rumors are just that, Rumors.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Even if they do merge the two OS into one, so what? Whatever they do will still have to work well with keyboard, trackpad and mouse, as well as touch screens. Now if they get really stupid and dumb down macOS to limit it to what iOS can do, that would be bad but on the other hand, if they can get iOS doing some of what macOS can do, now that would be nice. Multitasking, multiple windows stacked, apps running well in the background, yeah, give me some of that, please!
    Jake

Thread Information