Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Unless they have an absolutely killer x86 and x64 interpreter, then the last Intel Macbook might be the last Macbook I buy.

There is just soooooooo much great software available for x86/x64 that is designed for traditional desktops and laptops that a switch away from x86/x64 would be giving up. Don't get me wrong, ARM is great but then might as well just have an iPad.

Looks like Apple may go with ARM processors in 2021
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    From the beginning, I thought Apple's ARM architecture was more for security than performance or compatibility?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by yuanyasmine View Post
    Unless they have an absolutely killer x86 and x64 interpreter, then the last Intel Macbook might be the last Macbook I buy.

There is just soooooooo much great software available for x86/x64 that is designed for traditional desktops and laptops that a switch away from x86/x64 would be giving up. Don't get me wrong, ARM is great but then might as well just have an iPad.
    It literally is a SINGLE recompile to get all that software to work on ARM. There is absolutely NOTHING any developer is doing that is X86 specific. They are all using the Apple and other vendor provided frameworks that will deal with the architectural change. Also, assuming Apple was going down this route, they've been prepping the vendors and software makers for a long time to ensure that the ecosystem "transfers" over on Day One when an ARM-based Mac is available.

To a normal Mac user, you will not notice any change from your access to software, etc.

What you might see if you were careful enough to compare is the benefits of the ARM processor (lower heat output, better sustained performance and much better battery life).
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    From the beginning, I thought Apple's ARM architecture was more for security than performance or compatibility?
    No, the ARM processor is a RISC (reduced instruction set) processor much as the PowerPC processor was. In other words it's a general CPU. Apple has been using it from the beginning in it's iOS (iPhone and iPad) devices.

Only recently Apple has been using ARM processors as a co-processor in some of their Mac laptops. There it is used to offload some functionality away from the main Intel CPU, such as security.

The fascinating thing about this is that Apple's ARM processor is so inexpensive that Apple can afford to do this. What this means is that when Apple moves to using ARM with no Intel, that each and every Macintosh will cost Apple literally hundreds of dollars less to make. So that begs the question of what Apple is going to do with that savings?

How the Mac will go ARM | iMore
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks to all for what's turning out to be a very informative thread. I'm learning a few things I didn't know.

My guess is that no matter what Apple's final decision turns out to be there will be tuns of misinformations and misconceptions floating around the the net.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    My guess is that no matter what Apple's final decision turns out to be there will be tuns of misinformations and misconceptions floating around the the net.
    Well, there are tons of misinformation on the Internet about everything.

Which is why I tend to give a bunch of citations in many of my posts. I'd like to show that I'm not pulling things out of my derriere, and I'd like to provide sources for folks to look at if they want more information.

There are lots of articles about Apple's impending move to ARM processors. In addition to the ones that I've already cited, if anyone wants more information check out:

Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac’s transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac
    Intel reportedly expects Apple to start the Mac’s transition to ARM next year - 9to5Mac

The Apple Switch From Intel To Arm Processors - How Will The Pro Audio Industry Prepare? | Production Expert
    The Apple Switch From Intel To Arm Processors - How Will The Pro Audio Industry Prepare? | Production Expert

Intel Reportedly Confirms Apple's Move To Custom ARM-Based Processors In Future Macintosh Systems
    Intel Reportedly Confirms Apple's Move To Custom ARM-Based Processors In Future Macintosh Systems

MacBook move: Apple hires key ARM chip designer, pointing to shift from Intel | ZDNet
    MacBook move: Apple hires key Arm chip designer, pointing to shift from Intel | ZDNet

Apple’s move to ARM-based Macs is possible because most users want power more than compatibility – MacDailyNews
    https://macdailynews.com/2019/06/21/...compatibility/

Intel Confirms Apple Macs Will Switch to Arm CPUs by 2020, Says Report
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ap...tel,38668.html

With huge changes looming, should you avoid buying new Macs? | ZDNet
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/with-h...ying-new-macs/

Apple plans to ditch Intel processors on the Mac | Cult of Mac
    https://www.cultofmac.com/538829/app...rs-on-the-mac/

Apple Takes Another Step Towards ARM-based Macs - The Mac Observer
    https://www.macobserver.com/link/apple-arm-based-macs/

Apple Plans To Ditch Intel Processors On The Mac
    https://www.cultofmac.com/538829/app...rs-on-the-mac/
    Randy B. Singer

The fascinating thing about this is that Apple's ARM processor is so inexpensive that Apple can afford to do this. What this means is that when Apple moves to using ARM with no Intel, that each and every Macintosh will cost Apple literally hundreds of dollars less to make. So that begs the question of what Apple is going to do with that savings?

Hmmm...??? I wonder if Apple will even consider lowering the prices for their equivalent ARM Computers for the benefit of the consumer???

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm...??? I wonder if Apple will even consider lowering the prices for their equivalent ARM Computers for the benefit of the consumer???

It certainly gives Apple several interesting business options. A cynic might assume that Apple will keep their prices steady just to make more money.

But an even more extreme option, if Apple wants to reap big profits in the long run, might be to pass all of that savings on to the consumer. Not to be nice to their customers, but to drive their competitors into the ground. Imagine Mac's with Apple quality, priced the same as POS Windows computers. Apple would steal a lot of customers and certainly narrow the field of competitors. I don't see how Microsoft, for instance, with their expensive but plastic-y Surface computers could compete and stay in the personal computer business.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    That possibility had occurred to me given the suggestion that ARM processors should be cheaper than comparable Intel chips. Another possibility occurred to me although it is admittedly a long shot. Apple has at various times created Macs which essentially split into two branches -- one branch geared toward the consumer market and one branch for users who want/need a bit more horsepower and are willing to pay a reasonable sum for the performance. boost I could see something similar happening using differrnt variations of the ARM processor or a combination if the ARM processor and something else.

Unlikely but fun to speculate about late at night.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information