Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New releases from Apple today
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thank you for heads up on the updates. Been busy getting settled into new place and had not checked. Installing now.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Well this was painful. After an hour and a half, the battery was already down to 95% while left idle as before. I decided to follow a tip from an article I read and reset all settings. It took me a good 45 minutes to re-do everything to my liking, then charge back to 100% but it’s been idling for an hour since and is still at 100%. I do believe the problem is solved. *phew*

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Final update... we can officially stick a fork in it. "Reset all Settings" did the trick on both devices. The iPad in particular has been sitting idle with the screen locked and covered since 6:30 this morning and bluetooth re-enabled with all my settings manually re-enabled after the master reset (what a chore that was!). It has been 10 hours now and has gone from 100% charge to 97%. Compare that to my earlier post where I mentioned that it went from 100% to 77% in 7 hours while sitting idle similarly. I'm very satisfied with that, especially given the age of the battery. The XR is also holding up much much better.

It's just incredible that this is what it took to restore normal battery life. I normally would have expected a full wipe and restore to have done the trick. But in thinking about it, this is more the equivalent of nuking your user Library in macOS and letting the OS rebuild it from scratch, which I've done long ago in the past to resolve problematic behavior. Heck, I effectively had to do that by clean installing Catalina and manually cherry pick/copy all my user data over when an upgrade install didn't cut it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I dont think there is much content in these updates other than security and a couple of things which dont apply to my devices e.g.
    The macOS Catalina 10.15.3 update improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

• Optimizes gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
    • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264-encoded 4K video on the MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

As for the iOS/iPadOS they have a bit more content especially on the iPhone but none of them appear to be related to battery issues. Check the "About this update" option before you update to get the details on the nine listed issues resolved and the five listed issues for iPAD.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iMacs OS X 10.15.3, 10.13.6;2 iPhones iOS 13.3.1;iPads 12.4.5;iWatch 4.3.2
    My iPhone SE does drain quite fast; this has got worse since I bought a Series 1 iWatch. I like the size of the SE. Are any of the newer models the same size as an SE?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Are any of the newer models the same size as an SE?
    Unfortunately no. About the closest you can get to the size of the SE is with the iPhone 8. It appears that none of the newer models coming this year will be as small. Most folks nowadays go for the larger screen phones which in my opinion are like tablets. I have an iPhone 8 which I intend to keep until it gives out.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Apple Startup Chime has returned

As some of you might already know, Apple removed the startup chime (bong!) from sounding in its latest Macs.

There have been several various method for returning it but none of them have worked.

The good news is that Apple has returned the startup sound in Catalina. However, you need to activate it thru terminal:

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

It definitely works as I have tested it numerous times. Make sure you have your sound level turned up.

BTW, I'm not sure if this will work with Mojave or High Sierra. You can test it to find out.

Have fun.

Tidbits has some recent info on the start up sound on post 2016 Macs:

#1502: Enable Mac startup sounds, iPhone emergency contacts, RIP Larry Tesler, iPhone step-counting apps, watchOS 6.1.3 - TidBITS

Patrick
    ----------

MBAmtloin
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    [B]Apple Startup Chime has returned

BTW, I'm not sure if this will work with Mojave or High Sierra. You can test it to find out.

Have fun.
    i think the chime never left highest Sierra, i hear that every restart.
    personally i like that chime, and that lets me know when i restart the MBair with a screwdriver instead of the power button.

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Well this was painful. After an hour and a half, the battery was already down to 95% while left idle as before. I decided to follow a tip from an article I read and reset all settings. It took me a good 45 minutes to re-do everything to my liking, then charge back to 100% but it’s been idling for an hour since and is still at 100%. I do believe the problem is solved. *phew*
    Not asking you to give out any personal info, but if you have time could you step through in a bit more detail what all you had to do to fix your problem?
    The few times I’ve run into the battery drain issue Bluetooth turned out to be the culprit, but would be nice to stow away for later use your experience if I’m (or anyone else here) ever in that situation.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm on my phone here but this thread seems a bit disjointed or is it just me? Anyway re the startup chimes, I never list them because my MBP is 2015 but as we know there have been a number of people over time who wanted to remove them so for those people it's probably a good thing. Personally I would miss them a lot. They are a confirmation that "all". is well

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    Not asking you to give out any personal info, but if you have time could you step through in a bit more detail what all you had to do to fix your problem?
    The few times I’ve run into the battery drain issue Bluetooth turned out to be the culprit, but would be nice to stow away for later use your experience if I’m (or anyone else here) ever in that situation.
    After making a backup of course, what you do is open the Settings app, go to General, then Reset, then Reset All Settings. This does not erase any content on your device, but will reset every system preference back to the defaults (Notifications, Display, Siri & Search, etc etc). It’s the equivalent of setting up a new device from scratch. If you think about it, this is doing what a “clean install” of macOS with a manual migration of your apps and data ultimately accomplishes also. You are resetting the Library back to a clean slate. It definitely worked here. Turning off bluetooth before I did this did help stop my battery from draining, but that was a bandaid that didn’t address the actual problem, whatever it was. All is fine now with bluetooth on.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    Possibly the most inconvenient aspect of this reset is loosing all the logins you had stored for other WiFi networks, not to mention having to pair all of your Bluetooth devices again, the worst of which for me is the car.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    After making a backup of course, what you do is open the Settings app, go to General, then Reset, then Reset All Settings. This does not erase any content on your device, but will reset every system preference back to the defaults (Notifications, Display, Siri & Search, etc etc). It’s the equivalent of setting up a new device from scratch. If you think about it, this is doing what a “clean install” of macOS with a manual migration of your apps and data ultimately accomplishes also. You are resetting the Library back to a clean slate. It definitely worked here. Turning off bluetooth before I did this did help stop my battery from draining, but that was a bandaid that didn’t address the actual problem, whatever it was. All is fine now with bluetooth on.
    Well this solution turned out to be a short term fix because for a couple weeks now, both my wife and I are back to where we were with excessive battery drain. Unfortunately we’re at Apple’s mercy to see a fix with a future update, it seems.

------
    ------

Thread Information