Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Butterfly Keyboard - Bye, bye
    I guess it was time that Apple gave up on this design.
    Form over function was taken just 1 millimeter too far.

Apple may soon give up on one of its most maddening design changes. The new MacBook keyboard will revert to the sturdier, clickier keys of old, a prominent analyst reports.
    Apple may have found a fix for the MacBook keyboards everyone hates - CNN

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Definitely interesting news...given that owners of Apple portables with the "butterfly" keyboards did mention that they felt different...and sometimes had issues with them.

- Nick

p.s. This was also posted in the RSS area...and on the Mac-Forums Facebook page.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    p.s. This was also posted in the RSS area...and on the Mac-Forums Facebook page.
    Sorry,
    I only checked the "Apple Rumours and Reports" section to see if this was already posted before I did.
    No longer do Facebook.

What I found most interesting in the article are the images of the two types of mechanisms - never saw that detail before.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Sorry,
    I only checked the "Apple Rumours and Reports" section to see if this was already posted before I did.
    No longer do Facebook.
    No problamo...mentioned those two other areas in case others do check them.

@everyone: To see the RSS threads...need to join the RSS group.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    What I found most interesting in the article are the images of the two types of mechanisms - never saw that detail before.
    I read that Apple also changed the material that the scissor mechanism was made of...very likely in an attempt to fix the issues. Now that Apple is switching back to the butterfly style keyboard mechanism...it would seem the new material didn't work out.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Only problem with this is it pushing my potential laptop replacement back another year or two. I’ve being watching the rumors of a 16+inch MBP coming out later this year with great interest. But, now I read that initially it will come with the old-style Butterfly Keyboard. So, that means waiting an update or two (probably wisest anyway) before I pop for one
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    According to the latest rumor Apple is replacing the Butterfly Keyboard with the Scissor Switch style keyboard on this year's refresh of the MacBook Air. I believe the Butterfly Keyboard is dead. Apple has taken too much bad publicity over it. I also believe the refresh of any MacBook Pro models will have a Scissor Switch keyboard rather than Butterfly. However, we will just have to wait and see what Apple does.

You can refer to this article on MacRumors:

Kuo: Apple to Use New Scissor Switch Keyboard in Future MacBooks, Starting With 2019 MacBook Air Refresh | Page 3 | MacRumors Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2017 iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, Mojave OS.
    I never had any issues with my 2015 Macbook Air at all. My keyboard works great!

I believe the Butterfly Keyboard is dead. Apple has taken too much bad publicity over it. I also believe the refresh of any MacBook Pro models will have a Scissor Switch keyboard rather than Butterfly. However, we will just have to wait and see what Apple does.

I don't have any real exposure to all the other computer brands and their keyboards and certainly haven't read much in the way of comparisons, but do they all make good quality keyboards that just work well and Apple was the only one that goofed up with their various butterfly style keyboard mechanism designs???

Just curious and wondering...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    There are complaints from users of other brands of notebook computers - regarding the keyboard. I understand that Dell has had some problems with their models.

The Butterfly Keyboard is especially susceptible to failure because of its thinness and closely mounted mechanism all designed to look nice. Looking nice is one thing but remaining functional and dependable is another. But Apple has always been known for its great looking machines and devices.

Another Apple look nice device comes to mind.... The slot mechanism optical drive. Very stylish but doesn't last very long. LOL. Thank goodness Apple computers no longer come with an optical drive.

Speaking of keyboards.... the best notebook keyboard was included with the old IBM Thinkpads. Nowadays the Thinkpad trademark is owned by Lenovo.

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    According to the latest rumor Apple is replacing the Butterfly Keyboard with the Scissor Switch style keyboard on this year's refresh of the MacBook Air. I believe the Butterfly Keyboard is dead. Apple has taken too much bad publicity over it. I also believe the refresh of any MacBook Pro models will have a Scissor Switch keyboard rather than Butterfly. However, we will just have to wait and see what Apple does.

You can refer to this article on MacRumors:

Kuo: Apple to Use New Scissor Switch Keyboard in Future MacBooks, Starting With 2019 MacBook Air Refresh | Page 3 | MacRumors Forums
    I hope you are right, Charlie.
    Don’t know where I read it, but I had seen a rumor to the effect the new MBP was too far along when the decision to switch keyboards came out, and hence the first model of it would use the Butterfly version.
    If I can remember and find it, I’ll post the link here
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMac View Post
    I never had any issues with my 2015 Macbook Air at all. My keyboard works great!
    I do not believe 2015 MacBook Air's have "butterfly" keyboards. Only MacBooks & MacBook Pro's from 2016 onwards have butterfly keyboards (maybe a 2015 MacBook model as well).

And only the 2018 MacBook Air has a butterfly keyboard.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    Only problem with this is it pushing my potential laptop replacement back another year or two. I’ve being watching the rumors of a 16+inch MBP coming out later this year with great interest.
    It's always something! One feature not included...or one issue that needs addressing to make it a perfect purchase.

I as well am seriously interested in a rumored 16" MacBook Pro. My 2011 17" MacBook Pro is definitely starting to show its age...need something newer!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2017 iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, Mojave OS.
    I do not believe 2015 MacBook Air's have "butterfly" keyboards. Only MacBooks & MacBook Pro's from 2016 onwards have butterfly keyboards (maybe a 2015 MacBook model as well).

- Nick
    To be honest, I am not really sure what a butterfly keyboard even is. I should research them. The only keyboard I know of is a mechanical keyboard but other than that, I don't know much about them.

- Nick

I guess that should account for not having any keyboard issues with that 2015 MacBook Air model.

(maybe a 2015 MacBook model as well).
    That was my vague understanding as well, but does anyone know which particular model it was???

Well, it seems like the MacBook "Core M" 1.3 12" (Early 2015) models at least:
    It also packs a lowly 480p FaceTime webcam, a backlit full-size keyboard with a thin "butterfly mechanism" keyboard design, a clever haptic-capable "Force Touch" trackpad,
    MacBook "Core M" 1.3 12" (Early 2015) Specs (Early 2015, BTO/CTO, MacBook8,1, A1534, 2746): EveryMac.com

EDIT:
    Actually when checking further, ALL 2015 MacBooks seem to have
    a backlit full-size keyboard with a thin "butterfly mechanism" keyboard design,
    Apple MacBook Specs (All MacBook Technical Specs): EveryMac.com

Odd, I don't really recall of many keyboard complaints from users using the 2015 MacBooks. But maybe that was because I wasn't really even interested. My understanding was they were one of the better All around useful models Apple has produced recently.

EDIT II:
    Here's a good summary of the Apple keyboard situation and affected models and various designs:
    MacBook Pro / Air Butterfly Keyboard Issues (Repeating, Stuck, Unresponsive)
    Thursday July 4, 2019 8:28 AM PDT by Juli Clover
    MacBook Pro / Air Butterfly Keyboard Issues (Repeating, Stuck, Unresponsive) - MacRumors

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-07-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    What I found interesting is the claim of the new Macbook Air not being a redesign, but being able to use the 'new' keyboard. Makes me wonder if this new keyboard is swappable in other MBPd, and if this was planned all along with their keyboard fix program.
    3.0GHz 10core Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6core Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4core Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz 6core i7 15" MacBook Pro w/TB 15.12.3GHz 4core i7 15" Retina MacBook Pro 11.32.4GHz C2D 15" MacBook Pro 5.12.4GHz C2D 13" MacBook Pro 7.1

Thread Information