Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Butterfly Keyboard - Bye, bye
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    What I found interesting is the claim of the new Macbook Air not being a redesign, but being able to use the 'new' keyboard. Makes me wonder if this new keyboard is swappable in other MBPd, and if this was planned all along with their keyboard fix program.
    The 2019 MacBook Air has a 3rd generation butterfly keyboard...it doesn't have the "back to the future" scissor style keyboard that was used before the butterfly keyboard was introduced...and is said to be what Apple is going to return to for future MacBook/MacBook Pro models.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I dunno, this issue is poring a lot of cold water on my plans to buy a MBA. I just have zero interest in spending over $1000 to get involved in problems like this. I guess I'm getting too old and am out of touch with the rest of the Mac market. The feature I want the most is the ability to buy with confidence, and have the purchase be a happy event uncontaminated by such worries.

I do have a solution I would accept, but I know it's no longer how Apple handles repairs. I would still buy with confidence if Apple would tell me this...

"If your Mac breaks during warranty we'll come to your house within a few days and fix it for free."
    Anything less than that is shifting the seller's problems on to the buyer. Just not acceptable.

I know Apple could do this if they wanted to, because they've done it in the past and the company didn't collapse. But I know those days are over, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Felasco View Post
    I dunno, this issue is poring a lot of cold water on my plans to buy a MBA.
    Late last year I had to decide between a 2018 MBA and a 2017 MBA
    Ended up going with the top of the line 2017 model with a 512 GB drive - mostly because it gave me a lot more "native" connectivity and the high resolution screen on a 13" MBA didn't buy me much. I also wanted a MacBook that was as light and easy for travel as possible - having to cart along extra boxes to get the connectivity I needed wasn't my idea of travelling "light".
    At the time I didn't even think of the keyboard on the 2018 being a potential issue, but now I'm even happier that I opted for the 2017 model.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I dunno, this issue is poring a lot of cold water on my plans to buy a MBA. I just have zero interest in spending over $1000 to get involved in problems like this. I guess I'm getting too old and am out of touch with the rest of the Mac market. The feature I want the most is the ability to buy with confidence, and have the purchase be a happy event uncontaminated by such worries.

I do have a solution I would accept, but I know it's no longer how Apple handles repairs. I would still buy with confidence if Apple would tell me this...

"If your Mac breaks during warranty we'll come to your house within a few days and fix it for free."

Anything less than that is shifting the seller's problems on to the buyer. Just not acceptable.
    I think you may be judging Apple a bit harshly. Apple is routinely at the top of many consumer satisfaction survey's (Apple must be doing something right)...also...how many of Apple's competitor's would do this?

On top of that...how many of Apple's competitor's have an Apple-like store...where you can take an Apple device with an issue...and many times the Apple tech's will diagnose it for free (while you wait)...no dropping it off & returning later.

Finally...if you're relatively near to an Apple Store...it's pretty easy to visit the store & drop it off for repair.

I know Apple could do this if they wanted to, because they've done it in the past and the company didn't collapse. But I know those days are over, so....
    I know you shared an Apple experience you had 20 years ago with a new iMac you purchased...and Apple sent someone to your home & replaced the modem. First of all...that home visit 20 years ago was VERY unusual even for that time. Secondly...20 years ago (1999) there were no Apple Stores that Apple users could take their computer to for diagnosis/repair (Apple consumer stores didn't open until 2001).

I think if any Apple user takes everything into consideration (historical info & the competitive environment)...we are still doing way better than the average Windows or Android device based user.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    At the time I didn't even think of the keyboard on the 2018 being a potential issue, but now I'm even happier that I opted for the 2017 model.
    The 2017 model likewise uses the butterfly keyboard. The articles I have read state that all 2016-2018 (and now the 2019) model MBA and MBP use the butterfly keyboard. However, your MBA is covered under the Apple extended warranty so if the keyboard does give you problems, Apple will replace it for free.

Thread Information