Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apple apologizes for continued reliability problems with its MacBook keyboards
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Ugh! I thought the third generation butterfly keyboard was supposed to solve these problems. Sounds like it helps, but doesn't eliminate them. I think I'm keeping a keyboard cover on mine!

Apple apologizes for continued reliability problems with its MacBook keyboards - The Verge
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    But think of the positive environmental and financial aspect!

The savings in ink when one prints a document like that.

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I want to slap the person that published the second article. LOL

Typing this on my new 15" touch bar MBP. I have a reaaaallllyyyy hard time grasping and understanding the complaint form some people who say this is the worst keyboard design ever. Tight tolerances set aside, I understand how the keyboard getting crap underneath it could impact use. I don't want that to happen to my keyboard. Having many laptops, including a few Apple laptops, I actually like this keyboard. What I especially like is the uniform and consistent feel of each key. The way they keys are held firmly in place and don't allow jiggling is great for me! I have a lot of processing to do on my laptop, and having a keyboard that shortens typing time and effort is pleasure to me. I can fly on this keyboard!! What I'm curious about is if Apple is saying sorry, what are they going to do about crap getting underneath and causing erratic behavior? If it's such a serious issue, what could they possibly do? I wan this keyboard to stay just as is and last as long as all my other Apple computers.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't have any complaint with the feel or operation of the keyboard. It's a little noisy, but even that doesn't really bother me, truth be told.

It's the long-term reliability that concerns me and Apple's underwhelming response to it. MacBooks were once known to be extraordinarily long-lived and reliable, which helped justify the premium prices. Now they just seem cost-reduced, while at the same time being even more expensive.

It's the long-term reliability that concerns me and Apple's underwhelming response to it. MacBooks were once known to be extraordinarily long-lived and reliable, which helped justify the premium prices. Now they just seem cost-reduced, while at the same time being even more expensive.
    Same here.
    I had one keyboard on a 2018 MacBook pro replaced already. Not sure what the underlying problem (of some keys not operating) was, but crombs from eating at the keyboard definitely wasn't it.
    The replacement keyboard was apparently the same version than the original - not some "improved" version.
    Not too happy considering what we paid for this unit.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Same here.
    I had one keyboard on a 2018 MacBook pro replaced already. Not sure what the underlying problem (of some keys not operating) was, but crombs from eating at the keyboard definitely wasn't it.
    The replacement keyboard was apparently the same version than the original - not some "improved" version.
    Not too happy considering what we paid for this unit.
    That's unfortunate. Thankfully I bought the AppleCare for my 2018-model MBA from the outset, so I know I'll have it in good working order for at least 3 years. Plenty of time to see how reliable the keyboard is in the long term. As much as it pains me to recommend spending another few hundred on an extended warranty that shouldn't be necessary, I'd recommend you do the same.

That's unfortunate. Thankfully I bought the AppleCare for my 2018-model MBA from the outset, so I know I'll have it in good working order for at least 3 years. Plenty of time to see how reliable the keyboard is in the long term. As much as it pains me to recommend spending another few hundred on an extended warranty that shouldn't be necessary, I'd recommend you do the same.
    Too late for me - Apple apparently changed the rules to buy AppleCare which I never knew and Apple sure didn't tell me when I bought the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air I just bought recently - instead of having a year to decide if you want to buy AppleCare, one now has to decide within 60 days after purchase.

PS: Is that really true or does that only apply for AppleCare+ ?
    I have to dig to find out.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That rule only applies for Apple Care Plus. The regular Apple Care without the accidental coverage (Plus) can still be purchased within one year. At least that's what is being reported at MacForums from reliable sources. Give Apple a call to make sure.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    This shows both as separate purchases, AppleCare+ - Mac - Apple
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    This shows both as separate purchases, AppleCare+ - Mac - Apple
    That link for me shows only the AppleCare+ option and it is presented as if this was the only option essentially replacing AppleCare.

Every link so far that I follwed from google brought me to the AppleCare+ page.

Then I found a link that tells me to log into my Apple account to buy AppleCare and all I get is this:
    We couldn’t find an eligible Mac.

We didn’t find an eligible Mac associated with this Apple ID.

Check a serial number to determine eligibility to buy.

Your Mac might be associated with a different account.
    Sign in with a different Apple ID
    It sure doesn't look as if the normal AppleCare that one could buy anytime within the first year is still available.
    Last edited by krs; 03-28-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Sorry, this is the page that mentions both options, AppleCare - Apple, I assumed the ”Learn More” link in the Mac section would address both options. I’m just silly expecting Apple to explain both of those options.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 03-28-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I have been to that page before as well.
    It mentions two options but when you the go to the Mac section at the very left on the bottom to get details, you end up on the same page you posted before which covers just AppleCare+

I guess I will have to call, I would just like to know how much normal AppleCare is for both a MacBook pro and a MacBook air

Apple sure manages to confuse the heck out of everyone
    Can I still buy AppleCare for my MacBook Pro within one year of the purchase date? : mac

The links posted on that discussion, at least the ones I checked, all end up on the same AppleCare+ page.

Someone there mentioned that
    a. AppleCare+ is only $30.- more than AppleCare, and
    b. One can buy AppleCare+ even after the 60 day window once Apple checks the Mac to make sure it's still in good shape

But in the discussion there is also mention made of Apple reps providing the wrong information.

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I have the same thing going on. If you go to search for AppleCare via your serial number(15" MacBook Pro touch bar), the only option for me is the $379 dollar AppleCare +.

Is there no other alternate AppleCare seller like there used to be?

$379 for extended warranty on something they claim they know is an issue seems almost like paying extra money for a scam. I'm not doing it.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Thread Information