Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Apple reportedly will switch to ARM from Intel in 2020
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As reported by Tom's Hardware and supposedly confirmed by Intel:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ap...tel,38668.html

If the above is true... all I can say is here we go again.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Wonder what will happen to programs like Parallels, VMWare, WINE and other Windows Emulators. It was easy with an Intel chip, maybe not so easy with ARM? At least with this much warning those folks have plenty of time to figure out if and how to do it.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Apple is already using ARM chips in the latest MacBook Pro models, the 2018 Mac Mini, and the iMac Pro. The T2 is mainly for security but it does show that Apple has the capability to design and deploy its own chips rather than depend on a third party.

It will likely be a slow changeover, maybe starting in 2020? It makes me wonder why these announcements are appearing now as that would seem to hurt Apple sales. Folks are not going to rush out and buy a new iMac, Mac Pro or anything else if Apple is really contemplating an architecture change. Of course Apple fans have been though all this before but that was when Steve Jobs was at the helm.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Sounds interesting. Like Charlie mentioned...as Apple/Mac-Users...we've been down this road multiple times before.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    The main issue to me is the people who also need to run Windows on the side for a few apps. I doubt MS is going to support the new Apple CPUs.

Your Mac's Specs
    That's me, Dennis. I have ONE need for Windows, to do one print job on a printer not supported on Mac at all and not on Windows any more recent that Win7. The printer is a label printer, and the replacement is very expensive (>$10G). So I run Windows7 in Parallels to print labels. If tools like Parallels goes away, I don't know what I will do. I suppose I could keep nursing it along with Craigs list specials, but the thought of having to deal with it is not very attractive.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    It will not affect me that much as I have a Windows 10 gaming machine and that is about all I do with Windows, but like Jake, many have a real need for Windows on their Macs.

I don't know what I will do.

Why not just keep the Mac etc. that you have that works and does the job. It won't quit working if left the way it is.

But maybe the ARM chips will also be able to do what you need. Who knows???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    And who's to say that Apple's ARM chipset won't be able to run the current Mac software or Windows for that matter? AMD CPUs can run i86 software, but if you remember, it was a long hard fight with Intel and several court battles over patent infringement. In the end, AMD won out.

Apple certainly has the know how to build into their ARM chips the ability to run i86 software and keep compatibility with the current run of Macs.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Wouldn't it be Apple, that would need to create the drivers, for their ARM chips, to work within Windows?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh, anything is possible. But if the low level structure of the ARM chip doesn't follow the Intel architecture (and it would be patent issue if it did, in addition of blocking the idea that Apple has to allow iOS apps to run on the Mac and vice-versa) then it will be much more of a challenge to create emulators of Intel-based software to run on the ARM architecture. And Apple really has very little reason to care about anyone who wants to run Windows. When they shifted from the PowerPC chip to the Intel chip, it make running Windows very easy, so people jumped on it as a good thing. Given enough time, it might be possible for Parallels or VMware or Oracle to figure out how to run Intel architecture on ARM hardware, but it's more of a challenge and one that is full of risk. Apple can, at any time, make an architecture change that suites them just fine, but which would push the emulators back to square one.

Patrick, I will nurse the system I have as long as I can, obviously. And as long as Apple provides support, that's fine. But I'm worried about when they abandon the Intel machines totally and the macOS updates no longer run or apply. Maybe it won't be an issue before we decide to close the business totally and the printer is no longer needed.

Charlie, the AMD/Intel issue is much different from the ARM/Intel difference. ARM basically reverse-engineered the Intel architecture and produced chips that are (mostly) compatible with Intel. ARM is a totally different architecture internally, more like the PowerPC to Intel change Apple made some time back. Rosetta was the bridge, then Apple abandoned it and all the PowerPC apps died. Maybe Apple will have Rosetta2 to keep Intel apps going for a while (it would make sense to do so) and maybe Parallels would bridge off that to have Windows still run in Virtual Machines. If the demand is there, someone will do it.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    ...more like the PowerPC to Intel change Apple made some time back. Rosetta was the bridge, then Apple abandoned it and all the PowerPC apps died. Maybe Apple will have Rosetta2 to keep Intel apps going for a while (it would make sense to do so) and maybe Parallels would bridge off that to have Windows still run in Virtual Machines. If the demand is there, someone will do it.
    That's my guess too Jake. Between something Apple offers (like a "Rosetta 2")...and 3rd party apps like Parallels...I think we'll be good to go.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information