Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Apple Sued Over Not Letting Customers Disable Two-Factor Authentication After 2 Weeks
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Apple Sued Over Not Letting Customers Disable Two-Factor Authentication After 2 Weeks
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...weeks.2169161/

Interesting thread. What do you think? Is Apple being a "Nanny" or are they really looking out for our safety?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Can Apple be both a "nanny" and looking out for our safety?

Actually, they don't want people screwing things up, that they (Apple) will be sued over.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    Been searching for a while on how to disable notifications from this safety measure. Is there a way? I have it disabled on everything, and NEVER want to EVER use it again! How can I get the notification to go away from my system icon? It's incredibly annoying!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    Been searching for a while on how to disable notifications from this safety measure. Is there a way? I have it disabled on everything, and NEVER want to EVER use it again! How can I get the notification to go away from my system icon? It's incredibly annoying!
    In my case it's also entirely pointless as the code is displayed on the device I'm using as well as my phone.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Everyone seems to agree that Apple can improve the way that 2FA works. Now if only Apple would just listen!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Now if only Apple would just listen!
    Pardon??

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    The 2FA alerts go to all devices associated with that AppleID. So if you don't want the alert on your iPhone, for example, just dis-associate the iPhone from the AppleID and you won't get the alerts. Ditto for any Mac. Just disassociate from the AppleID. Now I admit I'm not sure that's what you are asking because I don't understand, "How can I get the notification to go away from my system icon?" I don't know what icon you are talking about there.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Everyone seems to agree that Apple can improve the way that 2FA works. Now if only Apple would just listen!
    Usually, when Apple improves something to suit some customers, other customers are not happy.

I have no issues with 2FA, it works the way it is supposed to work.

If someone tried to access your account, you would get a notification on all your devices.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    The 2FA alerts go to all devices associated with that AppleID. So if you don't want the alert on your iPhone, for example, just dis-associate the iPhone from the AppleID and you won't get the alerts. Ditto for any Mac. Just disassociate from the AppleID. Now I admit I'm not sure that's what you are asking because I don't understand, "How can I get the notification to go away from my system icon?" I don't know what icon you are talking about there.
    This issue I'm asking about relates to Apple computers. The System Preferences icon always shows an alert linked to the 2FA. It's like this on all my Macs, and really annoying. I want that notification to permanently be removed. And dissociating my Apple ID from my Macs is not an option. I also don't use iphones.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Pardon??

Ian

Say what???

BTW: I went looking for some reliable answers as to whether the 2FA could even be disabled a few days ago and gave up and I couldn't even find an answer at Apple's support site!!! Pretty sad! Or do they not even know for sure???

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 03-29-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I want that notification to permanently be removed.
    Then sign up for 2FA. You basically have two options--sign up for 2FA and the notification will go away or don't and live with the notification. Apple isn't going to ever let it be said that you didn't know that you didn't have 2FA. Again, I suspect a lawyer told them to make absolutely sure that no user ever gets to say "I didn't know." PITA for the rest of us, but in this litigious society, it's what we got. I suppose if you don't like it on the Dock, you could aways drag System Preferences off the Dock and not have to see it all the time.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Iggybar, I take it you have found yourself in one of those catch 22 situations where you couldnt verify something because you needed to verify your identity but the device needed to verify your ID was the device you were trying to verify.
    Apple and others assume that things will be set up and used in the correct order and under ideal situations.
    Really 2SV works extremely well and is a good safety measure to secure your personal data but sometimes it works against us.
    My wife has a Google gMail account she set up in Bali (with two step verification) she forgot the password when setting up her new iPhone. After several attempts she tried to reset her password but google required ID verification. It gave her only one option, a code sent by SMS to her phone. But Google didnt know she had a new iPhone because the number she had used at setup was an Indonesian number on her old iPhone 7. We were in Melbourne Australia so unable to access that number. So she had to wait till we returned to Bali to change the password.
    Now all that sounds like a PITA and it was but the whole problem was caused by her forgetting her password. This is often the sort of thing that causes people to hate 2FA or 2SV. They made a simple mistake and found themselves in a world of pain because it couldnt be easily fixed.
    This is the whole point of course, if it were easily fixed it would be easily hacked.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    BTW: I went looking for some reliable answers as to whether the 2FA could even be disabled a few days ago and gave up and I couldn't even find an answer at Apple's support site!!! Pretty sad! Or do they not even know for sure???
    It can only be disabled within a certain amount of time according to Apple. (within two weeks) After that, you're stuck with it. Read the original thread title above and Link.

And, it appears that new users creating an Apple ID have it implemented automatically. Also, if you wish to sync your iMessages between all the devices you own, 2FA must be turned on.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    ...but surely the 2FA alerts should go to a device OTHER than the one you are trying to access? Otherwise what is the point? I someone steals my mac they get unfettered access to my apple account. 2FA does nothing to help...but it should!
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Iggybar, I take it you have found yourself in one of those catch 22 situations where you couldnt verify something because you needed to verify your identity but the device needed to verify your ID was the device you were trying to verify.
    Apple and others assume that things will be set up and used in the correct order and under ideal situations.
    Really 2SV works extremely well and is a good safety measure to secure your personal data but sometimes it works against us.
    My wife has a Google gMail account she set up in Bali (with two step verification) she forgot the password when setting up her new iPhone. After several attempts she tried to reset her password but google required ID verification. It gave her only one option, a code sent by SMS to her phone. But Google didnt know she had a new iPhone because the number she had used at setup was an Indonesian number on her old iPhone 7. We were in Melbourne Australia so unable to access that number. So she had to wait till we returned to Bali to change the password.
    Now all that sounds like a PITA and it was but the whole problem was caused by her forgetting her password. This is often the sort of thing that causes people to hate 2FA or 2SV. They made a simple mistake and found themselves in a world of pain because it couldnt be easily fixed.
    This is the whole point of course, if it were easily fixed it would be easily hacked.
    Exactly! It happened last year when I sold my iphone and changed numbers at the same time. I forgot the exact details now, but I was unable to verify even though I knew my Apple account password and was able to log into my iCloud account. The situation was REALLY stupid!

Just turn it on is not a solution. LOL! That's ridiculous! These notifications are as dumb as Windows alerting you a million time about antivirus. Just let it be my choice and be done with it!

Thread Information