Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Apple is in trouble following stock hit
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Don't take me wrong, certainly Apple needs to make its services available on other platforms, that's what everyone does and so should Apple. But in my view, iOS is not going to be offered anytime soon for non-Apple devices.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. One reason why "Hackintoshes" are so popular with folks who love to tinker and experiment with macOS is that Apple has persisted over the years to keep their OS on Apple hardware only. There was a short period of time during Steve Job's absence that the Mac operating system was cross licensed but when Jobs returned as CEO he immediately ended that.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. One reason why "Hackintoshes" are so popular with folks who love to tinker and experiment with macOS is that Apple has persisted over the years to keep their OS on Apple hardware only. There was a short period of time during Steve Job's absence that the Mac operating system was cross licensed but when Jobs returned as CEO he immediately ended that.
    Other than in my post, I referenced iOS and not macOS...

While there is a "tradition" for Hackintoshes, there's no such thing as "HackiOS". The closest thing one can do is an iOS interface overlay for Android, or iOS launcher:

https://sguru.org/install-ios-in-android/

And that's an app, not an OS...

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    There was a short period of time during Steve Job's absence that the Mac operating system was cross licensed but when Jobs returned as CEO he immediately ended that.
    I still have two of those 1996-1997 "puppies" (non-Apple manufactured computers)...gathering dust somewhere!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    All I'm saying is that Apple blinked. By offering Airplay on smartTVs as a service, they have uncovered a crack in the garden wall that has kept other hardware from using the services from inside the garden. Now, will they widen that crack, or close it up? Nobody knows, but by opening this crack they have opened up a potential to have all of AppleTV as a service, competing with Roku and Amazon, but with zero hardware required. Just sign up, pay a monthly fee and you have everything you could if you owned an AppleTV box. If they are willing to give up making that hardware, then maybe other hardware could also be phased out and services replacing it. Time to stop thinking in terms of "android" and "iOS" phones and think of picking an environment as a service. Want FaceTime, Messages, access to the iTunes store? Select iOS as a service. Want the android environment, store, etc? Pick Android, or Windows, or whatever is offered. Apple can sell hardware designed to make maximum use of the ecosystem while at the same time opening that ecosystem to other hardware, with the limitations that the "alien" hardware may or may not be able to fully participate in the ecosystem depending on how close to an iPhone it is.

Another paradigm breaker is going to be 5G cell service. At those speeds, the "phone" can be almost a dumb terminal, with the entire ecosystem in the cloud. So you get a "dumb" smartphone (champion oxymoron!) and connect to the cloud through that 5G service to gain access to the "smart" part of the phone. No 5G WiFi? No smarts, just a phone with maybe a camera and enough memory to hold a few pictures you take, or an app with a little bit of data. 5G available? Smartphone! Pick your environment--Android, iOS, Windows, whatever, and go. Once 5G is widespread enough to support that conveniently, the first company to go to dumb smartphones will capture a huge portion of the market. At those speeds, maybe all you need will be a wearable (watch? clothing?) that connects. Again, IAAS.

The biggest challenge is going to be where 5G is not available. I currently make a two hour drive to visit my brother in hospital in Charlottesville, VA. On the way, I get into a thirty-minute long black hole with zero cell coverage. Normally I stream music as I go, but when I hit the hole, I shift to music stored on the phone, or a podcast I listen to that is downloaded to the device. When I get to where I know the service is good again, I go back to streaming. With a "dumb" smartphone it will be a challenge to allow me to cover that 30 minutes. Maybe keep all the apps in the cloud, then when I get close to my dead zone, I download from the cloud a music player and music I like. That could even be automated into a "favorite" button, or even an automatic function whenever the signal drops below a certain level. Lots of ways to make it work reasonably well.

And for those who say "never," let me remind you that in the early days of cell phones you had to select between CDMA and GSM in the hardware. Now you just get the phone and let the sim card drive it. And with esim, it's getting even easier to change the personality of the phone. So why not with the OS?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Apple will blink, if there's a pile of cash either in the form of yearly payment, looking at you Google, or monthly rentals and/or membership fees. That improves the cash-flow and I don't blame them for that, business is business. And I do agree with you about the opening up the "walled garden" in limited fashion at the beginning for "public" consumption. Maybe Apple will be able to retain the "walled garden" for the Apple device users, even if the garden has no wall for the public, we shall see...

For most services, the 4G cell connection is already sufficient, the widely available true 5G is still years away, but coming. I have designed and implemented Citrix based local/remote access for applications, that worked just fine over 4G. All it required a browser and for remote access, a VPN connection. Yes, this was a "private cloud". I've also done WMware server on local network for Windows OS and applications. I don't think it's far fetched to add any OS to this solution...

We just disagree with the time frame involved for getting to the point that you've described. And no, I did not say never, I've stated possible, takes long time, etc., along that line....

Your Mac's Specs
    Update on Apple stock price. When this thread was started about 7 weeks ago (January 4, 2019)...Apple stock price was around $142.50. There was concern that the drop in Apple stock price was due to Apple & Apple's CEO not doing the right things.

Today 7 weeks later (February 22, 2019)...Apple stock price is trading at about $172.50 ($30 dollars higher). Figure out what that is on an annual basis...and it's pretty darn good. As I and others in this thread have mentioned...Apple is a great place to invest your cash for the long-haul!

- Nick

p.s. Sure...Apple stock's 12 month high was about $225 back in September, 2018. The stock market has been in a bear market for a few months now...and many stocks have seen declines...and now many stocks are rebounding.

If investors had purchased Apple stock 7 weeks ago @$142.50 when there were concerns...they'd be very happy now! Buy low...and hang onto it for the long-haul!
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    About 10 months ago when this thread was started...Apple stock price was in the $140/$150 range...and the CNN reporter quoted in post #1 was trying to suggest "Apple is in deep trouble". Here we are 10 months later & Apple stock is trading at all time high's ($243 close today)!

Imagine investing any sum of money...and 10 months later getting an over 60% return on investment!

But then again this time of year is usually a good time for Apple stock to peak (it did last Fall as well)...and the January time frame tends to be a lower time.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    That's interesting and might be used for investment purposes.

Pretty much similar scenario had been in place for the last three years; canyons at the beginning and peaks at the end of the years:

appl.jpg

I'll check early next year, if this trend continues. If it does, I may just rearrange my investment portfolio; 60% return on investment in 8 - 10 month for 1K stocks is really good. Plus, there's quarterly dividend of ~$.75 per stock.

Disclaimer: I do not own APPL stock, yet; this is not intended as an investment advice

Thread Information