Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Apple Store is now just called Apple ó and I'm two years late Ö
    Well yes, I'm two years late but just discovered that Apple stopped calling their Apple Stores apple stores two years agoÖ

They are not and haven't bee called an Apple Store for two years.

OK, in defense we don't have any close by and without taking an expensive all day ferry trip to get to one.

The Apple Store is now just called Apple X

It's a store, but not a Store, you see. And it's official.

Yeah, right!!! I guess. Who knew???

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/19/1...ore-rebranding

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    news to me as well. Not the biggest fan of being in a busy Apple Store. Opps, Apple, uh, Apple.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Ahh well...laptop computers aren't supposed to be call "laptops" either...they're supposed to be called "notebooks" or "portable" computer. I still prefer "laptop".

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Too bad, it's hard to explain to someone, to just go to the Apple nearest to you?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ahh well...laptop computers aren't supposed to be call "laptops" either...they're supposed to be called "notebooks" or "portable" computer. I still prefer "laptop".
    - Nick

Hmmm…??? the last time I referred to an Apple portable as a "notebooks" or whatever it was I used, not that long ago, I got blasted here and was corrected that they should be referred to as "laptops", apparently I was told, Apple's official terminology.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Too bad, it's hard to explain to someone, to just go to the Apple nearest to you?

+1!!!

Unfortunately that seems to be the way of Apple's "logical thinking" these days, if one can even call it that, and as if nothing else apple-wordwise even existed.

Besides Yelp using the "wrong phrase" for your Pawtucket area: https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...awtucket%2C+RI
    at least people would understand better than Apple's own "proper store name": Apple Providence Place
    Honest: https://www.apple.com/retail/providenceplace/

Talk about being pretentious!!! Gheese!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 08-22-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm…??? the last time I referred to an Apple portable as a "notebooks" or whatever it was I used, not that long ago, I got blasted here and was corrected that they should be referred to as "laptops", apparently I was told, Apple's official terminology.
    Not sure exactly who did the blasting...but Apple started calling "laptops"..."notebooks" years & years ago.

Anyone can go to Apple.com right now...and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.31.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.22.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.24.07 PM.png

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Anyone can go to Apple.com right now…and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

Thanks Nick, and that was my understanding as well as to the correct Mac portable terminology.

At least I don't have any possibly confusing localized AppleStoreName to worry or be concerned about.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post
    news to me as well. Not the biggest fan of being in a busy Apple Store. Opps, Apple, uh, Apple.

Well Groove, if you were to need to go to one for your area, it looks like you'll find them listed as:
    Apple Sherway Gardens
    Apple Eaton Centre

Sounds almost like some gardening nurseries to me.

Actually they all look pretty stark and minimally barren to me and hardly a seat to be found, so I trust I'd be able to take my walker if I were even to visit one, God only knows why, so I could at least sit down.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    Iíve tended to go to the Eaton center one, as I live right downtown Toronto. Sherway is way out in the boonies, as is Yorkdale.

When I think about it, it actually makes sense. If you go to Walmart, not that I do... but you donít say Iím going to the Walmart store. You say Iím going to Walmart. Insert any other store. But it still sounds odd since weíve called it the Apple store all this time.

I donít like this change, as I donít like kids on my lawn, and I donít know why I keep waking up at 5am now. If Iím this cranky at 53 this doesnít bode well.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, OS X.15.4,.
    I don't bother going to the Apple. 500 klm (300 miles) each way!
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Not sure exactly who did the blasting...but Apple started calling "laptops"..."notebooks" years & years ago.

Anyone can go to Apple.com right now...and go to the MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or MacBook areas...and the term "Notebook" is easily found:

- Nick

And there's a very good reason why they do call them Notebooks. Most, can't swear all, Notebooks have their exit vents pointing downwards and to allow for the free exit of hot air, there needs to be a gap underneath the Notebook.

This is provided by small "buttons" which allow it to be rested on a table or similar.

If the user were to keep their Notebook on their lap or on a cushion or, worst of all, on top of the bedclothes, then the Notebook could overheat.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    And there's a very good reason why they do call them Notebooks. Most, can't swear all, Notebooks have their exit vents pointing downwards and to allow for the free exit of hot air, there needs to be a gap underneath the Notebook.
    Glad you mentioned this Ian. I was going to mention it above...but didn't.

I'm sure myself and a lot of other portable computer users use their portable computer on their lap. Why??...because your lap is the perfect place to place the computer when using it. If your seated in a chair or a sofa...your lap is the perfect place for that portable computer to be palced.

Guess what happened when Apple switched from calling portable computers "laptops" to "notebooks"...nothing. Folks didn't suddenly stop putting thier laptops on their laps. Users didn't say to themselves..."OH MY GOD...what am I thinking putting my "notebook" computer on my lap. Gonna go to jail." lol

I think the main reason Apple (or the portable computer industry as a whole) switched from the term "laptop" to "notebook"...is they got "snooty". "Notebook" has a much more refined and less "pedestrian" sound to it. Go to any college/university campus...and you're going to see lots & lots of "laptop" computer use.

Of course totally agree with what you said...notebook/laptop computers placed on non-flat/hard surfaces can potentially block or reduce the proper flow of cooling air. And when notebook/laptop computers get warm/hot...it can be uncomfortable on your lap. But I and others still do it. Your lap (in many situations) is the perfect place for your portable computer when there's no flat surface around...or you just want to kick back & relax in a semi-reclined position on some squishy-comfortable furniture!

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. Mojave. 8GB RAM
    Blog Entries
    makes me think of used cars. you cant buy used cars anymore. it changed years ago... their "pre-owned" now. all marketing gimmicks. lol.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    makes me think of used cars. you cant buy used cars anymore. it changed years ago... their "pre-owned" now. all marketing gimmicks. lol.
    Yeah...on the surface the term "pre-owned" or "certified pre-owned" does seem sort of ridiculous. After all...usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a new car and a used car! lol

All part of the "politically correct" culture. After all...we don't want to hurt the feelings of used cars everywhere. Used cars don't want to be thought of as "used"...they want to be thought of as "pre-owned"!

But if a place does things right..."certified pre-owned" is supposed to mean something:

"Most often late-model, they differ from other used cars by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits."

- Nick

Thread Information