Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Potential good news on the hardware front
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    I, like many, have been waiting for Apple to upgrade their desktop machines (other than the iMacs), and have recently reluctantly concluded I might have to go Windows to get what I want.
    The rumor in the article below gives me reason to hope. And, it hints at a potential product I have wished that Apple would make, a Mac Mini Pro.
    My vision for such a beast would be to bump the case height a bit to allow for double drive, and shoehorn in the guts from a current MBP (including a graphics card). Allow for user upgradable storage and memory and my credit card will be waiting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...edesign-2018-8
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Fingers crossed for ya Mike (and others)!

Mac-Mini hasn't been upgraded since 2014. I say Apple should either kill it off (nooooo)...or definitely release a new much more powerful mini (yayyyy)!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Fingers crossed for ya Mike (and others)!

Mac-Mini hasn't been upgraded since 2014. I say Apple should either kill it off (nooooo)...or definitely release a new much more powerful mini (yayyyy)!

- Nick
    And, I don’t think the 2014 upgrade was really an upgrade. I’m still running my 2012 Mini because I refused to trade performance and upgrade ability for 4K Monitor support.

Edit: the funny thing is I was just telling my wife this morning that I would probably be buying a Windows Box in the Fall, since I had almost given up on Apple coming out with something this year.
    An hour later I saw the article I linked to in my original post.

So, I agree, fingers crossed . . . ..
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Thanks for linking this, it does look promising.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
    I’m still running my 2012 Mini because I refused to trade performance and upgrade ability for 4K Monitor support.
    Hey Mike...I forget...are you one of the lucky dogs with a quad-core 2012 Mac-Mini?

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Hey Mike...I forget...are you one of the lucky dogs with a quad-core 2012 Mac-Mini?

- Nick
    i7 Quad Core. Other than the lack of 4K Monitor support, I have no complaints at all

My vision for such a beast would be to bump the case height a bit to allow for double drive, and shoehorn in the guts from a current MBP (including a graphics card).

I dare say you or someone will have to get rid of Sir Jonathan Ive before that will happen… gotta get it smaller and thinner seems to be his design ways…

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    i7 Quad Core. Other than the lack of 4K Monitor support, I have no complaints at all
    Very nice. Probably one of (or the) most sought after Mac-Mini models. I think when I've checked eBay...they've held their value well.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    Well, fingers crossed on this one, as I was considering begrudgingly getting a windows box for the next pro tools machine. I know a whole lot of pro tools guys all grumbling discussing the move to windows as well based on apple's complete face plant on machines for us. The iMac pro was a total nonstarter. None of us need a 4k monitor for audio. Now lets hope Apple is smart enough to offer good processor/ram options relatively competitively priced or there will be a mass exodus to windows in the audio world.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Now lets hope Apple is smart enough to offer good processor/ram options relatively competitively priced or there will be a mass exodus to windows in the audio world.
    Definitely worth waiting for. I can't imagine anyone in the audio world after using macOS for many years wanting to switch to Windows. Nothing wrong with Windows hardware, it's the awful implementation of winOS and all the hassles that come with it.

Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    I donít think they actually -want- to, but I have unfortunately seen many recently... The truth is, and I would have agreed with you before becoming a pro tools user professionally, when you use pro tools, itís not like you care a whole lot what OS youíre using, as long as itís very stable. And pro tools is very stable on windows now. You just use the one program pretty much. If the OS is solid enough, it pretty much doesnít matter. I never really understood the studio guys switching to windows boxes a few years ago, and now I get it.

Itíll make a difference to the logic guys but avid seems to be really going for the throat on that demographic too. I noticed that not long ago, the manufacturers of the really high end audio racks I use began focusing on windows compatibility when those same racks were once OS X only. Thatís when I took notice.

I truly hope Apple doesnít fumble the ball here because from my perspective, I see a lot of content producers losing patience. Myself included and I love OS X!

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, the updated Mac Mini isn’t all I was hoping for, but good enough to make me reach for my wallet. Going to wait a bit to digest reviews and specs, but probably going to pop for the top line processor and upgrade memory myself.
    Haven’t seen anything on SSDs yet. Are they user replaceable, does anyone know?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Why not just wait a few days and let the ifixit tear down answer that for you?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Well, the updated Mac Mini isnít all I was hoping for, but good enough to make me reach for my wallet. Going to wait a bit to digest reviews and specs, but probably going to pop for the top line processor and upgrade memory myself.
    Havenít seen anything on SSDs yet. Are they user replaceable, does anyone know?
    I don't think the ram (memory) will be user upgradeable. It isn't on the Late 2014 models.

Edit: The specs are up on Apple.com now.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 10-30-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added info
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I think it's a great idea to wait as Jake says until we see a breakdown of what's inside and what is user replaceable. I'm wondering if the memory is soldered in place? And, like Mike, is the SSD user replaceable?

I suspect though with the inclusion of the Apple T2 security chip, user replacement of anything might be severly limited. Remember the iMac Pro and new 2018 MacBook Pros?

Anyway, even if nothing is user replaceable the new Mini is certainly a step in the right direction and might convince even me that I no longer need an iMac for my home office. I can see pairing up one of Dell's new 32" 5K monitors with the Mini. That would be an awesome combo.

Thread Information