Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Apple: don't use Face ID on an iPhone X if you're under 13 or have a twin"
    Anyway, for $1K and up it ought to also be able to cook barbeque ribs Texas style!

Now that is something that works properly and I'm quite willing to pay for!!

But gonna try our own on a new propane BBQ we bought last year, or maybe use our Vision Kamado charcoal grill which should be better.

The OLED screen that Apple is using on the iPhone Ten is the same size as the 7+ and 8+
    I didn't realize that and hadn't even bothered to check. But at least things look better to me with the layout they use.

Maybe Apple should have used some sort of separate popup camera and kept the "full screen" as a full viewing screen. ???

- Patrick
    ======

Both Nilay Patel at The Verge and James Martin at CNET reported on Tuesday that when they used the iPhone in “bright sunlight,” the smartphone’s face scanner became “inconsistent.” Patel suggested in his review that he believed the problem had to do with infrared light and the iPhone X not being able to consistently adapt to it.

“I took a walk outside our NYC office in bright sunlight, and Face ID definitely had issues recognizing my face consistently while I was moving until I went into shade or brought the phone much closer to my face than usual,” he said.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    One of the parts of the Face ID sensor group uses Infra Red. Having bright sunlight pointed directly at the front of the phone will 'flood' the IR sensor. Changing the angle of the phone so as not to be directly facing the sun will solve the problem.

I guess you can consider this the FaceID equivalent of wet hands for Touch ID.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I've been too lazy to redo the Fingerprint in landscape mode but I will definitely give that a go.
    TouchID does not have to be set up in different orientations. If you're having difficulty with it recognizing your fingerprints, redo them (orientation doesn't matter). Here's the process I use for setting up TouchID and it has served me very well across a LOT of devices...

- Wipe out whatever fingerprints are there.
    - Add a fingerprint (I start with right thumb, then right index, left thumb, and left index)
    - When you're setting up the base part of the fingerprint, you want to let your finger drift a little, but generally keep the central part of your fingerprint in contact with the sensor.
    - Tap and release slowly, waiting for the device to tell you to lift your finger off (phones vibrate to indicate this)
    - Once the base fingerprint is saved, move on to the edges. Pay attention to what part of the finger you're touching and imagine the initial print in the center having a circle drawn around it on your finger. Using this as a mental guide, work your way around that circle to add the outer portions of that fingerprint.
    - Once the fingerprint is done, open that fingerprint up and rename it accordingly (I name mine the way I indicated above). This makes it very simple to modify or remove a specific fingerprint afterward.

Keep in mind that the use of TouchID means that you actually give up a slight bit of privacy in some circumstances. A passcode is something you know, and it can not be compelled through court order. Your fingerprint or your facial image is not protected like this and CAN be compelled through court order.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    Keep in mind that the use of TouchID means that you actually give up a slight bit of privacy in some circumstances. A passcode is something you know, and it can not be compelled through court order. Your fingerprint or your facial image is not protected like this and CAN be compelled through court order.
    That's one of the reasons behind the SOS mode in iOS11 - it near instantly disables FAceID and Touch ID and requires the passcode.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

That's depending on the court and the laws of the jurisdiction for where one lives of course.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    I've had to be fingerprinted for jobs so many times I figure they have mine and my privacy is shot. Face ID is just another level.

Actually for me, since I am sure I will have to have another background check, face ID would be nice. My fingerprints are hard to scan. They told me old fingers develop lines making it hard for the scanners to read my prints. The last time they told me I might have to go back to the old school way of ink on paper. Yuck - been there, done that and it is messy! I am willing to bet if they ever go to face ID eventually they will tell me I have too many wrinkles. Hum... wonder what the alternative to that will be????

Unfortunately, today if you work around or with children a background check is necessary every year in some areas. Sad but true.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I don’t use Touch ID to unlock my phone and would never use facial recognition for it either. Passcode all the time.
    May I ask what your reason for this is? I'm also curious as to whether that video i watched about some kinda superglue or gloves (cant remember exactly) unlocks an iPhone or whether this is simply a rumour... like those troll hoaxes about iPhone battery life going from 0 to 80% in 3 seconds under a microwave, as well as drilling holes in the iPhone 7 in order to connect headphones. LOL

I like using Touch ID on my iPhone and it seems to work well, however, on my new 10.5" iPad Pro I can't get it to consistently recognize my fingerprint. Maybe it's because I use the iPad in landscape mode all the time. Touch ID works better in portrait mode.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thread is a bit old......

However, I have the same problem with my 10.5" iPad Pro. Touch ID does not work reliably in landscape mode. And I almost never use the iPad Pro in Portrait mode which pretty much negates Touch ID for me. The next iPad Pros will very likely have Face ID which should be more reliable.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7

However, I have the same problem with my 10.5" iPad Pro. Touch ID does not work reliably in landscape mode. And I almost never use the iPad Pro in Portrait mode which pretty much negates Touch ID for me. The next iPad Pros will very likely have Face ID which should be more reliable.
    Interesting, I will have to try that. I have never had it not read my Thumb or Finger prints and I normally hold it in Landscape. 10.5" iPad Pro 64 GB storage.

Isn't there an option to re-do your Touch ID, but do so when the iPad is being held in landscape mode?

But I'm sure you've tried that and if so, it seems like an Apple iOS goofup if it doesn't work.

Patrick

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Isn't there an option to re-do your Touch ID, but do so when the iPad is being held in landscape mode?

But I'm sure you've tried that and if so, it seems like an Apple iOS goofup if it doesn't work. Patrick
    Like the iPhone, the Touch ID for the iPad Pro can be redone in Landscape mode. However, that doesn't seem to work reliably. I really don't use my iPad Pro as much as I do my iPhone so it doesn't bother me to have to enter the passcode each time. Touch ID is really designed so that your fingerprint is recognized when it is firmly and flatly pressed on the button. When the device is in Landscape mode it's more difficult to press your finder firmly and flatly on the button. I guess that too depends on how and where you hold the iPad Pro.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Touch ID sholdn’t Matter which “mode” a device is in. I never have my finger on the button the same way, and have used it upside down on some occasions. Of course I never use it to unlock my devices, only for purchases.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Charlie

you said:
    designed so that your fingerprint is recognized when it is firmly and flatly pressed on the button.
    You being you, will know that if you go into Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button you can choose "Rest Finger to Open".

I know from other threads that you have a Smart Cover. When you lift it, you get the locked page - then just rest your finger, rather than pressing it, on the Home Button - and you're in.

Even without the Cover, it's one press to bring up the locked page and, by keeping your finger there, it opens.

And the beauty of this, I found, is that it works in landscape mode with much greater reliability.

Just an idea......

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information