Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    macOS High Sierra APFS only support SSDs
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's an interesting point that Bob Ferrarr has come up with. Flash storage vs an SSD. What's the difference?

Nothing like more confusion, however, Slydude and his Time Travel Hat should be able to fill us in...

A SSD has at it's core the flash component, the other part of it is the connector either PCIe (MBPs) or SATA (replacement to traditional HDD).
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Flash storage vs an SSD. What's the difference?

AFAIK and as Ashwin stated about the connectors, and from what I've read, the SSDs normally use better quality and faster chips than the smaller "flash" or "thumb" drives as they are referred to.

No doubt, there may also be a small difference in some of the circuitry each uses.

EDIT:
    Well sure lots of info out there like:

https://www.google.ca/search?client=...Isve8AfTqIXwCQ

And then some hits like:
    SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference?
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp
    and
    The Difference Between SSD and Flash Hard Drives
    https://danielmiessler.com/blog/the-...es/#gs.5zv17Ig

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 08-31-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added edit info

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    If I may quote directly from the second of Patrick's excellent links: (Source acknowledged as https://danielmiessler.com/blog/the-...es/#gs.5zv17Ig)

1. Modern SSD hard drives are Flash-based, so today there’s not really a difference today between SSD and Flash. SSD is simply a disk that doesn’t have moving parts, and Flash is the implementation that allows that to happen.

2. USB thumb drives have used Flash storage for a long time as well, but the quality of the Flash storage in those is typically much lower than the Flash memory used in SSDs. This means much worse performance, etc.

3. In short, you shouldn’t compare Flash to SSD just as you shouldn’t compare batteries to lithium-ion. In both cases the latter is a type of the former.

Ian
    Ian

Getting a little off-topic here..but yes, flash parts come in different variety best suited to the size (both physical and storage) they need to conform to..the smallest of microSDs use a particular type of flash part that has a very short lifespan, but is darn cheap. The SSDs on the other end of the spectrum use the type that has quite a long life but also is more expensive, but since the entire SSD is being sold for more than a microSD, the cost makes sense..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Guys - question about the new APFS - when 'High Sierra' is released, I plan to upgrade my Mac laptops w/ SSDs which will automatically convert their file systems to Apple's new one from my reading of this thread & the links. My wife's iMac has a fusion drive (and will await Apple's decision as to how they may handle these spinning drives - and I'm planning soon to replace that computer w/ a new one which will have a SSD) which I may not upgrade to 'High Sierra' unless that option exists and is considered a safe transition?

But my question is whether apps, such as updated Pages, Numbers, & Keynote writing to the new APFS can exchange their files w/ the older HFS+ if still on our iMac; of course, the issue may apply to other apps - my initial thought is that the files will be interchangeable, but if not then maybe yet another PITA? Just thinking about my old days w/ Windows and updates/upgrades to Word & Excel. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    A new public beta just popped up for me. I'll try to test that specifically but I don't recall any previous issues.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

But my question is whether apps, such as updated Pages, Numbers, & Keynote writing to the new APFS can exchange their files w/ the older HFS+ if still on our iMac;

I don't have a super accurate gazing ball, but I'd expect Apple to have things working pretty correctly and compatible as they did with the GUID changeover from APF (Apple Partition Map)/ HFS+ etc. format stuff.

But my inner gut says it's not going to be quite so friendly accessing some older formats with backward compatibility and some users (support techs etc) having to rely on having at least two different OS X operating Macs. As an old retied fellow I know always just says — we shall see!!

How to format a drive, or disc for maximum portability?
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3003

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Dave, I have my main drive formatted with the new APFS formatting. I can open documents stored on HFS+ drives with no issues. One thing I have noticed is that if I boot from my external HFS+ drive running Sierra it doesn't see my APFS drive. As far as I can tell, nothing in Sierra "sees" the APFS formatted drive. I can't, for example, go into the Startup preference pane and select the APFS drive if I am in Sierra.

I've opened Apple and non Apple documents and programs with no issues so long as the versions are reasonably current. Even my QuickTime Pro 7 installation migrated over from Sierra and still works.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    But my question is whether apps, such as updated Pages, Numbers, & Keynote writing to the new APFS can exchange their files w/ the older HFS+ if still on our iMac; of course, the issue may apply to other apps - my initial thought is that the files will be interchangeable, but if not then maybe yet another PITA? Just thinking about my old days w/ Windows and updates/upgrades to Word & Excel. Dave
    Dave:

Apple has already stated that APFS and HFS+ will be interoperable. In other words they can read and write to each other - in the same way back when Windows 2000 was deployed and FAT-32 and NTFS could be used. There may come a time when Apple changes things and only APFS will be available. Much in the same way as today with Windows and NTFS.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    You need to be running macOS Sierra 6 (10.12.6) to be able to read APFS drives.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't think that is quite right. I haven't test this with the High Sierra beta that dropped today but that hasn't been true for some of the betas. In fact, the one I just replaced was listed in the store as a "developer beta". Under that beta Sierra did not recognize my APFS drive but the APFS beta would recognize Sierra and others.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Thanks All for the comments - all of my computers are on macOS 10.12.6, so I suspect that if I upgrade my laptops to 'High Sierra' and even keep the iMac on Sierra 10.12.6, then I'll be fine w/ exchanging files, as needed - not that often as a 'retired ole fart' - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I am on my late 2011 MBP 13" with Sierra 10.12.6 and the APFS drive shows on the desktop and everywhere else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dtravis7; 09-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    That's good to know Dennis. Not sure why it isn't showing for me -- especially since holding down the option key works for me. I'll have to boot into Sierra in a bit and check the settings to see if something has been changed.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information