Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan released today
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As the title states: The Public beta of iOS 9 and El Capitan have been released today. Follow the link(s) in the article to obtain them. Usual precautionary words apply when messing with beta software!

iOS 9 and El Capitan public betas released

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    El Capitan is installing as I type this. Will report back after I mess with it.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Download of El Capitan begins as soon as I make a clone of the current system. Looks like my iPad may not run the beta. I just got it a few months ago when I changed carriers but skimped a bit when I pick the iPad to cut down on the bill a bit. (16 GB iPad)
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

chas_m
    I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    I think I will wait this one out and let others have all the fun. I thought about using my 2009 Macbook as a test machine but I think I will wait for now.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    My phone could take the Beta but I'm not going to run it there because it's essentially our house phone. If I can shoehorn the beta onto my iPad I'll put it there.

I'll start downloading El Capitan as soon as I finish the clone of my current system and verify that it works.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I'm just going to put this as plainly as I can: these new public betas are not like the ones we got for Yosemite. Both of them have LOTS of broken functionality and BIG bugs. You can find a PARTIAL list of problems here:

Apple launches first public betas of El Capitan, iOS 9 | MacNN

The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work. Usually public betas have most of the major showstoppers worked out before Apple lets them loose on the public, but not this time. You've been warned.
    Um, Chas, I am a tester and if people do not test it will continue to be full of Bugs. Most here are very much aware about bugs. I never said I was installing it on my main partition! I am not stupid. I JOINED the Beta program way back to HELP Apple find the bugs!

I have 3 partitions here on my system and one just for the new BETA so don't worry,

That said just got back and am in 10.11 as I type this and hey, it's smooth and Safari works and seems very snappy! So there!

chas_m
    Dennis: sorry you didn't manage to read on to paragraph two of my post. Let me repeat here with emphasis for the comprehension-challenged.

"The bottom line here is that unless you are *really* testing these two on test machines that you can afford to lose data on, DO NOT install these betas. Let the people who are serious about improving them and know what they are doing viz beta software do the work."

The entire purpose of those sentences is to specifically exclude people like yourself from the warning. Lots of people (millions) do not heed the usual precautions, and install betas on their main machines or on their main partition, or without a backup, or otherwise are stupid. Does any of that sound like you? Of course it doesn't. I'm sorry if this was ... somehow ... unclear to you.

Your Mac's Specs
    Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing!

Your Mac's Specs
    Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
    I installed the beta on my main 6+ last evening and so far so good. The only complaints that I have is 1. Full screen on youtube has a few glitches and 2. the known volume buttons not taking pictures. So far it seems more reliable than iOS 8. I have not had any crashing like I used to experience quite frequently. I have several backups and many phones that I could use in case I did have issues with the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Missed your 2nd part as I am in a hurry but still most here do realize it's Very early Beta. I read the list from MacMN. Does not look that bad actually for an very early beta. I will report all I find to apple.

Thanks for the List from MacMN.

Anyone installing a early beta like this and excepting perfection and no issues is asking for issues! Grin

Still even with this early Beta I do sense a bit more speed so far in what I have been doing even on this late 2007 IMac! That is a good thing!

Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.

But it's interesting to read it seems to be running well on a mid-late 2007 iMac which my wife is now using when I got a mid-2011 iMac, but with snow leopard, and probably will for some time yet, and I'll be staying with Mavericks unless El Capitan improves the OS X experience as SL 10.6.8 did and which I'm told it might.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm…??? I'm a bit surprised that a good beta tester would have missed a valuable part of a post there, and I think I'd use a separate drive volume for any beta installation and not rely on just using a partition.
    So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    So you saying I am a BAD beta tester because I do not bow down to Chas_M's posts? Interesting. So are you a GOOD beta tester? and tell me all wise PM-R, what is wrong with a PARTITION for testing? I think before you attack me, you should learn before typing.

There is nothing Chas said that I needed to read.

Have a good day.

Good grief Dennis, are you having a bad day or what, and I was NOT attacking you in any way at all!!

And I'm sorry you seemed to have misinterpreted some of what I was saying. Something missing in the translation I guess, and it sure wasn't intended as such.

Have a good enjoyable weekend.

Your Mac's Specs
    PM-R, I sent you a PM explaining things. Take care.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 07-10-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I just found a bug in 10.11. Never had this with any Beta before. If I network to my other Macs and try to view the documents folder on any of them, the finder windows goes nuts with all kinds of corruption! I have to get some screen shots and report it to Apple.

Remote Desktop on that same share still works though. Crazy!

Thread Information