Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 125
  1. #76
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Adric View Post
    Mavericks? No no no, I'm keeping the cat names. Henceforth, I will refer to Mavericks as...

    That looks pretty legit. XD
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  2. #77
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Mar 18, 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    90
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
    Rep Power
    8
    One thing that would make me upgrade to Mavericks immediately...

    ... FONT SCALING ...

    So I can use my 27" hi res screen at it's native resolution without needing a lookup glass to see those darned small letters..

  3. #78
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    blackph0enix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 13, 2013
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    30
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7), iPhone 6 Plus 128GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB
    Rep Power
    7
    Did they ever use OS Bobcat?
    "A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
    because people from a distance can't tell who is who
    "

  4. #79
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,738
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    Not on the final releases. I think there was some speculation at one time that it had been used as an internal "pre-release: name for one of the versions. Here's the list of names so far:

    5.1 Public Beta: "Kodiak"
    5.2 Version 10.0: "Cheetah"
    5.3 Version 10.1: "Puma"
    5.4 Version 10.2: "Jaguar"
    5.5 Version 10.3: "Panther"
    5.6 Version 10.4: "Tiger"
    5.7 Version 10.5: "Leopard"
    5.8 Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
    5.9 Version 10.7: "Lion"
    5.10 Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"
    5.11 Version 10.9: "Mavericks"

    OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  5. #80
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    39
    Your Mac's Specs
    Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
    Rep Power
    9
    OSX name
    I liked the idea of calling it Sabretooth
    13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
    Iphone 4S.
    SR

  6. #81
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    May 10, 2010
    Posts
    57
    Your Mac's Specs
     Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
    Rep Power
    10
    Having read this thread I don't understand why there is such disappointment with the Mac Pro range. It has followed the same path as the Macbook Pro Retina's in a large and somewhat unsurprising way. Apple is a business after all. Cater to the high end and machines will become largely disposable. Not because they no longer work but because technology advances at such a phenomenally high rate that such machines will be obsolete. Catering for the professionals at the top of the game would require the best and latest equipment available. Whats the point in upgradeable hard drives when cloud storage is available? Whats the point in upgradeable RAM when the processor would be obsolete before a RAM upgrade would be needed. Tinkering and upgrading of machines is very much a lower end user than a premium high end user. The high end user can afford the best and will often want the best (if not so required from a hardware needs point of view then from a status point of view). Thus the machines aimed at the high end user will put upgradeability below form factor. And people who hark on about the lack of disk drive I don't get it. In 4 years of having my current MBP I have used my disk drive about 3 times. Indeed the last time I tried using it it didn't read a disk because of the dust that had accumulated on the laser. Just my two cents.

  7. #82
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Your Mac's Specs
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_f14 View Post
    Having read this thread I don't understand why there is such disappointment with the Mac Pro range. It has followed the same path as the Macbook Pro Retina's in a large and somewhat unsurprising way. Apple is a business after all. Cater to the high end and machines will become largely disposable. Not because they no longer work but because technology advances at such a phenomenally high rate that such machines will be obsolete. Catering for the professionals at the top of the game would require the best and latest equipment available. Whats the point in upgradeable hard drives when cloud storage is available? Whats the point in upgradeable RAM when the processor would be obsolete before a RAM upgrade would be needed. Tinkering and upgrading of machines is very much a lower end user than a premium high end user. The high end user can afford the best and will often want the best (if not so required from a hardware needs point of view then from a status point of view). Thus the machines aimed at the high end user will put upgradeability below form factor. And people who hark on about the lack of disk drive I don't get it. In 4 years of having my current MBP I have used my disk drive about 3 times. Indeed the last time I tried using it it didn't read a disk because of the dust that had accumulated on the laser. Just my two cents.
    Wow! You really don't understand this market segment at all.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  8. #83
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    39
    Your Mac's Specs
    Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
    Rep Power
    9
    I agree
    Dan hits the nail on the head. Who uses an optical drive anymore? for the vast majority of software and games its all digital now.
    13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
    Iphone 4S.
    SR

  9. #84
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Your Mac's Specs
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Thymen View Post
    One thing that would make me upgrade to Mavericks immediately...

    ... FONT SCALING ...

    So I can use my 27" hi res screen at it's native resolution without needing a lookup glass to see those darned small letters..
    Amen. But tinker tools helps some.

    Can you imagine system fonts on a 4k monitor?
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  10. #85
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    186
    Your Mac's Specs
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
    Dan hits the nail on the head. Who uses an optical drive anymore? for the vast majority of software and games its all digital now.

    The lack of an optical is one of the least complaints about the pro I've heard anywhere.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

    www.craiglamson.com

  11. #86
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,738
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    I doubt pro users or tinkerers are concerned about the lack of optical drives. Heck they probably have a few spare external drives around at any given point in time.

    I think they are more concerned about the lack of options in other areas. At the moment the biggest problem is probably the graphics card. While the existing cards appear to be monsters that will chew up anything thrown at them many pro users rely on software that is optimized for NVIDIA's cards. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding things.

    Attention forum brain trust: Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I do not like being wrong but unfortunately it happens from time to time.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  12. #87
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,853
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    While the existing cards appear to be monsters that will chew up anything thrown at them many pro users rely on software that is optimized for NVIDIA's cards. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding things.
    You might like Nvidia section of this piece.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  13. #88
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    14,738
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rep Power
    25
    Thanks that clarifies things a bit. Not being a pro user this machine would be far and away more than I need. I will be curious to see the graphics performance in real world tests. I am also curious how well it will dissipate heat under load.

    As I say I am not a pro user but I tend to buy machines like the Pro and push them for a long time. Most of the software I use doesn't seem to make as good a use of the power as they could.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

  14. #89
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    Sawday's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 19, 2006
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
    Who uses an optical drive anymore?
    Answer: Those of us who do not have a fast, reliable or, on some days, existing internet connection. No fibre (nor any plans to provide) in this part or Yorkshire so iCloud is a non starter.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

  15. #90
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,853
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I am also curious how well it will dissipate heat under load.
    This should be incredibly interesting. It's a brand new design and Apple's internal testing (as with any company's) can only account for so much. So, it should be interesting to see the creative ways in which people push that machine and the consequences for cooling.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook Pro 2011 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 Random Crashing
    By mavericks_wank in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM
  2. Printer driver problems Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1
    By Raybird in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 05:54 AM
  3. Mavericks on unsupported Mac Pro
    By MacUserClint in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 01:15 AM
  4. Macbook Pro Mid 2012 - OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 - Random Crash
    By RepulsiveStyler in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •