Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Adric View Post
    Mavericks? No no no, I'm keeping the cat names. Henceforth, I will refer to Mavericks as...

That looks pretty legit. XD
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
    One thing that would make me upgrade to Mavericks immediately...

... FONT SCALING ...

So I can use my 27" hi res screen at it's native resolution without needing a lookup glass to see those darned small letters..

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15in Mid 2012(2.6 GHz Intel Core i7), iPhone 6 Plus 128GB,iPad 4 128GB,iPod Touch 4G 64GB
    Did they ever use OS Bobcat?
    "A wise man told me don't argue with fools,
    because people from a distance can't tell who is who
    "

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Not on the final releases. I think there was some speculation at one time that it had been used as an internal "pre-release: name for one of the versions. Here's the list of names so far:

5.1 Public Beta: "Kodiak"
    5.2 Version 10.0: "Cheetah"
    5.3 Version 10.1: "Puma"
    5.4 Version 10.2: "Jaguar"
    5.5 Version 10.3: "Panther"
    5.6 Version 10.4: "Tiger"
    5.7 Version 10.5: "Leopard"
    5.8 Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
    5.9 Version 10.7: "Lion"
    5.10 Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"
    5.11 Version 10.9: "Mavericks"

OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
    OSX name
    I liked the idea of calling it Sabretooth
    13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
    Iphone 4S.
    SR

Your Mac's Specs
     Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
    Having read this thread I don't understand why there is such disappointment with the Mac Pro range. It has followed the same path as the Macbook Pro Retina's in a large and somewhat unsurprising way. Apple is a business after all. Cater to the high end and machines will become largely disposable. Not because they no longer work but because technology advances at such a phenomenally high rate that such machines will be obsolete. Catering for the professionals at the top of the game would require the best and latest equipment available. Whats the point in upgradeable hard drives when cloud storage is available? Whats the point in upgradeable RAM when the processor would be obsolete before a RAM upgrade would be needed. Tinkering and upgrading of machines is very much a lower end user than a premium high end user. The high end user can afford the best and will often want the best (if not so required from a hardware needs point of view then from a status point of view). Thus the machines aimed at the high end user will put upgradeability below form factor. And people who hark on about the lack of disk drive I don't get it. In 4 years of having my current MBP I have used my disk drive about 3 times. Indeed the last time I tried using it it didn't read a disk because of the dust that had accumulated on the laser. Just my two cents.

Your Mac's Specs
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_f14 View Post
    Having read this thread I don't understand why there is such disappointment with the Mac Pro range. It has followed the same path as the Macbook Pro Retina's in a large and somewhat unsurprising way. Apple is a business after all. Cater to the high end and machines will become largely disposable. Not because they no longer work but because technology advances at such a phenomenally high rate that such machines will be obsolete. Catering for the professionals at the top of the game would require the best and latest equipment available. Whats the point in upgradeable hard drives when cloud storage is available? Whats the point in upgradeable RAM when the processor would be obsolete before a RAM upgrade would be needed. Tinkering and upgrading of machines is very much a lower end user than a premium high end user. The high end user can afford the best and will often want the best (if not so required from a hardware needs point of view then from a status point of view). Thus the machines aimed at the high end user will put upgradeability below form factor. And people who hark on about the lack of disk drive I don't get it. In 4 years of having my current MBP I have used my disk drive about 3 times. Indeed the last time I tried using it it didn't read a disk because of the dust that had accumulated on the laser. Just my two cents.
    Wow! You really don't understand this market segment at all.
    Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com

Your Mac's Specs
    Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
    I agree
    Dan hits the nail on the head. Who uses an optical drive anymore? for the vast majority of software and games its all digital now.
    13" Macbook Pro intel core i5
    Iphone 4S.
    SR

Your Mac's Specs
    '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
    Quote Originally Posted by Thymen View Post
    One thing that would make me upgrade to Mavericks immediately...

... FONT SCALING ...

So I can use my 27" hi res screen at it's native resolution without needing a lookup glass to see those darned small letters..
    Amen. But tinker tools helps some.

Can you imagine system fonts on a 4k monitor?

www.craiglamson.com

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
    Dan hits the nail on the head. Who uses an optical drive anymore? for the vast majority of software and games its all digital now.

The lack of an optical is one of the least complaints about the pro I've heard anywhere.

www.craiglamson.com

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I doubt pro users or tinkerers are concerned about the lack of optical drives. Heck they probably have a few spare external drives around at any given point in time.

I think they are more concerned about the lack of options in other areas. At the moment the biggest problem is probably the graphics card. While the existing cards appear to be monsters that will chew up anything thrown at them many pro users rely on software that is optimized for NVIDIA's cards. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding things.

Attention forum brain trust: Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I do not like being wrong but unfortunately it happens from time to time.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    While the existing cards appear to be monsters that will chew up anything thrown at them many pro users rely on software that is optimized for NVIDIA's cards. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding things.
    You might like Nvidia section of this piece.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks that clarifies things a bit. Not being a pro user this machine would be far and away more than I need. I will be curious to see the graphics performance in real world tests. I am also curious how well it will dissipate heat under load.

As I say I am not a pro user but I tend to buy machines like the Pro and push them for a long time. Most of the software I use doesn't seem to make as good a use of the power as they could.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by MBPi5 View Post
    Who uses an optical drive anymore?
    Answer: Those of us who do not have a fast, reliable or, on some days, existing internet connection. No fibre (nor any plans to provide) in this part or Yorkshire so iCloud is a non starter.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I am also curious how well it will dissipate heat under load.
    This should be incredibly interesting. It's a brand new design and Apple's internal testing (as with any company's) can only account for so much. So, it should be interesting to see the creative ways in which people push that machine and the consequences for cooling.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information