Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Post Apple introduces new iPod touch without rear camera for $229

Apple introduces new iPod touch without rear camera for 9
    Interesting move getting rid of the rear camera, so this is only a good FaceTime/Skype device as far as camera is concerned..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Evidently someone at Apple read my mind - removing the camera (a useless feature) to save on cost was a brilliant decision. Without question, if I were to buy a new iPod Touch, I'd buy this one.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I could be wrong, but it's always been my understanding (assumption) that typically someone who doesn't have a full feature smart phone would have an iPod Touch in addition to their simple phone (or no phone at all). Hence, the camera would seem to be an essential feature - especially for those who like to post photos on facebook and Instagram and send photos in text messages to their friends/family. I don't know, it just seems like an odd feature to remove from a device like this. I mean it's basically an iPhone without the calling and cellular capabilities.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I like a camera on a phone or touch. Sorry. Just not on a 10" iPad. Too large to hold up to take pics but the iPod touch is perfect for that.

But in the end Apple will do what Apple will do and no one will tell them different. You just have to "THINK DIFFERENT"! And also "YOU are holding it WRONG"!

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    But in the end Apple will do what Apple will do and no one will tell them different. You just have to "THINK DIFFERENT"! And also "YOU are holding it WRONG"!
    Truth. I think the removal of the rear facing camera is a smart business move for them, as it lowers the cost of what is essentially a music playing device, and also encourages people who desire the camera to spring for a more expensive iPhone or iPad.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I like a camera on a phone or touch. Sorry. Just not on a 10" iPad. Too large to hold up to take pics but the iPod touch is perfect for that.

That doesn't seem to deter other people from doing that. >_>" I think it looks absolutely ridiculous but hey whatever makes them happy.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Even though the rear facing camera takes higher quality photos, but in the end don't we all just use it for taking selfles and applying a bunch of filters to degrade the quality to make us look sexier anyways?

I can't think of too many situations where I would need to have a iPod touch with a rear camera. I mostly use my old iPhone 4 for the gym now. Anyone who can afford an iPod touch probably will have other means of taking better quality photos.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
    I see it as a good offering. My dad loves his iPod touch, but basically only uses it as a music device. I don't think he's ever taken a photo with it. This would be a good option for him (and I'm sure many other adults that don't feel the need to take a photo every couple of hours).

Thread Information