Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Sources: iOS 7 using 'very flat' interface similar to Windows Phone

Sources: iOS 7 using 'very flat' interface similar to Windows Phone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Everyday, I am more content with Apple's decision to move Ive into this job. I might be one of the few here to argue this but WP's aesthetic is fantastic and if Apple is going to inherit some of those decisions, I think they'll be making a wise choice.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    After hearing and reading so much lately about the move away from skeuomorphism, this paragraph makes a lot of sense:
    One source claims that iOS' shift away from skeuomorphism will be reflected in the updated Game Center, which is even said to resemble the WWDC 2013 logo in some respects. If so, the logo may hint at the overall direction of Innsbruck.
    The WWDC and keynote announcements usually had the calendar icon with the date of the event showing. Now it's something completely different. It'll be cool to see what iOS 7 looks like as long as they're not making changes just for the sake of doing something new/different.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    It'll be cool to see what iOS 7 looks like as long as they're not making changes just for the sake of doing something new/different.
    Absolutely and this is why I dislike skeuomorphism - it's change for the sake of change with no pragmatic benefit. Some may argue that it does add value but few arguments are compelling enough to justify it (for me at least).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

While I agree that an updated look for iOS 7 would be great, I hope the look does not go to the way of the flat Windows phone look! The Windows phone design is just plan ugly, flat colored squares ! It looks like a children's book, maybe the skeuomorphism needs to go, but I have faith that Apple will create an interface that looks better, not worse !
    But what do I know I had to Google "skeuomorphism" ! LOL!

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    I don't really care about the overall look of iOS, what I'm hoping for is a move away from the icon grid as the primary UI. Microsoft and Android have the right idea by allowing you easy access to information, rather than having to dig between page after page of icons, or spending hours (or days) moving icons around to get a usable configuration.

That UI concept was fine before the advent of full-fledged apps and the App Store, when there were relatively few icons. Now, it's just tired and cumbersome, and if I may say so, un-Apple-like.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Agree with cwa107.

The icon concept seems so dated.

Almost wonder whether a "tree" or "hierarchy" display makes sense (Groups with SubGroups). Get more onto the home page.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    You won't see a shift away from the icon based model - its too entrenched as the primary method of operation/interaction for mobile devices. Even those OSes that do diverge from it still adhere to its basic principles. For example, the WP live tiles aren't really anything but dynamic icons arranged on a grid. Trying to move away from this would be too jarring for users.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    I was really excited to see this rumor. As a WP8 user, I've come to love the Metro theme. I'm all about the minimalistic and simple interface. In addition, the information-centric icons are really useful since you don't need to launch the app in some cases. It's especially nice for weather apps.I always get wondering eyes others around me when I scroll through my tiles.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
    As a WP8 user...
    They DO exist! Wow!

, I've come to love the Metro theme. I'm all about the minimalistic and simple interface. In addition, the information-centric icons are really useful since you don't need to launch the app in some cases. It's especially nice for weather apps.I always get wondering eyes others around me when I scroll through my tiles.
    As much as I hate to admit it, I do think Microsoft has the right idea overall for what a Smartphone UI should deliver. Meaningful updates at a glance are what I'm looking for as well. Let's hope this is more than just a purely cosmetic update.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    As a WP8 user, I've come to love the Metro theme. I'm all about the minimalistic and simple interface.
    You and me both. To this day, I still maintain that the minimalism of WP is, without question, the smartest design aesthetic for a mobile device. If it had app support and synced with my cloud accounts, I'd drop Android in a heartbeat. The only consistent problem I've heard echo through the WP community is the notification issue wherein you have to go back to the home screen to get updates (instead of just glancing at the top of the screen). Have you found this to be bothersome?
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    You and me both. To this day, I still maintain that the minimalism of WP is, without question, the smartest design aesthetic for a mobile device. If it had app support and synced with my cloud accounts, I'd drop Android in a heartbeat. The only consistent problem I've heard echo through the WP community is the notification issue wherein you have to go back to the home screen to get updates (instead of just glancing at the top of the screen). Have you found this to be bothersome?
    Yeah, it is a constant concern of WP users. There currently is sloppy version of a notification system. You can't go back and look to see what notifications have appeared in the past like you can in Android and iOS. If you hear your phone go off and it's not an email, SMS, nor voicemail, you're likely not going to know what app was trying to get your attention. Email, SMS, and voicemail can appear on the lock screen among other things, if you like. However, when you are using your phone, toast pop-ups do appear, but you basically need to be using your phone to know exactly what apps are trying to notify you. Or you better hope you have that app pinned to your home screen and that has some sort of notification on the icon.

There was an app in the past that tried to implement a notification system, but Microsoft made the dev remove the app from the app store. But I believe there is another app that takes a different to the notification system approach that Microsoft is allowing to stay on the app store. Being that they made the one dev remove the one app says they are likely working on a notification system. I don't know why they wouldn't be.

Once Window Blue comes out, which will be the biggest update to Windows 8, RT, and WP8, then we'll probably see it on-par with Android and iOS feature-wise. Everyone is hoping Windows Blue will address everyones concerns they have about WP8.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    All I can say about Windows 8 in the little I have gotten to use it on a MOBILE device, it's quite impressive for a phone and Tablet. I would never turn down a W8 phone or tablet. I just HATE it for a desktop or even normal Laptop computer.

Wonderful interface though for devices. I need to spend more time with the mobile version. Last time was at a store and I was rushed.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    However, when you are using your phone, toast pop-ups do appear, but you basically need to be using your phone to know exactly what apps are trying to notify you. Or you better hope you have that app pinned to your home screen and that has some sort of notification on the icon.
    I've never quite understood the logic behind that. Are developers expected to build live tile functionality into any apps that produce notifications? Even then, that assumes people have them pinned to the home screen.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I've never quite understood the logic behind that. Are developers expected to build live tile functionality into any apps that produce notifications? Even then, that assumes people have them pinned to the home screen.
    I'm not really sure. Whenever I'm baffled by any sort of logic around missing WP8 features, I do ask my friend who works in the WP8 division, but he says the product managers are pretty much to blame for a lot of stuff.

Thread Information