Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apple to open mini stores inside Target
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    That's pretty interesting. I'd hate to see Best Buy go because I love to just go in there to peruse the store when my GF needs to hit the mall for shopping.
    Can Best Buy order custom configured iMacs?? I never bothered to ask because I figured I'd just go through Apple for my computer purchases, but if they could I might as well order one and get 0% on my Best Buy card.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

The news of Best Buy being in trouble doesn't come as a surprise to me. I have a Best Buy less than 2 miles from my house and go there on a regular basis just to look at their goods. I haven't bought any big ticket items from them in several years due to the fact that they charge outlandish prices for some big ticket items and some of their accessories as in 45.00 bucks for a 12 ft HDMI cable, that's just plain robbery.

The only things I buy there are the items being phased out on their discount table or guitar related things our BB has a small Guitar Center inside which is nice. Sometimes along the back wall you can find a few hidden goodies but as far as most products I use online stores such as Tiger Direct and a few others. Amazon has good prices on a lot of their items due to them drop shipping a large portion of their advertised goods but you have to shop carefully.

stratguy

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Can Best Buy order custom configured iMacs?? I never bothered to ask because I figured I'd just go through Apple for my computer purchases, but if they could I might as well order one and get 0% on my Best Buy card.
    As far as I know you can only custom configure and special order those items that Best Buy sells as a store brand.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
    Online will prosper at killing brick and mortar until online sales taxes start to kick in in earnest. .gov is both broken and broke and they can't afford to let people buy things online tax-free indefinitely. We will have to start covering a fraction of that 100.3% of our GDP debt at some point so we can borrow more against our kid's future labor.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
    Sales tax won't save the brick and mortar stores... Buying at Amazon, where I pay WA state's insane 10% sales tax, is still siginificantly less than going to Best Buy for just about anything.

Target old be a great retail partner, especially if Apple is worried about their partnership with Best Buy.

And while I love Frys, I do hate going there... It's like Costco. I just can't leave without spending $300 or more.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin View Post
    Sales tax won't save the brick and mortar stores... Buying at Amazon, where I pay WA state's insane 10% sales tax, is still siginificantly less than going to Best Buy for just about anything.
    Probably depends upon the store and industry I'd guess. Sales tax + shipping may well become more expensive for some items than sales tax + markup. I didn't say it would save all retail outlets per se, but I do think it will balance out the sales of some marketable items between retail and online. The USPS going broke won't help drive down shipping costs if and when they fold, potentially resulting in less competition in over land delivery. Gas prices certainly won't lend to making free shipping for many purchases a "given" indefinitely either. Heck, I don't know. If I knew something more than an semi-educated guess, I'd be snapping up cheap stocks on margin instead of posting online.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

I think until this economy becomes more stable and people have more money to spend that the online stores will continue to ship for free and with price matching going on even online it really doesn't matter what online store you buy from as long as they don't have a shipping warehouse in your home state because if they do you can't get around paying that tax.

I don't wish any bad luck to brick and mortar stores but they have pretty much done it to themselves with high prices and hiring sales reps to work by the hour and not the sale. Yes I do know they they get a small percentage of the overall profit in some stores but from what I see and notice it's just not enough to motivate the sales people to learn their product and really want to close the sale. When was the last time you asked a sales rep at best buy to explain to you how to setup a product you are looking at and they did answer without getting someone else or feeding you some sort of bad info :-) I think the average tech geek as in people that keep up on their technology knows more about the products at these stores than the sales reps do. That's just my findings here at my local electronic stores and it may not be that way in your city.

stratguy

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    There is only one reason I go to best buy...and that is to test products. I rarely buy anything there because I kind find it cheaper else where. >_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

The electronics store around here within a stone's throw is a Best Buy. Radio Shack doesn't always have what I'm looking for...and the nearest Apple Store is 25 miles out across Albuquerque...yuck.

I've never stepped foot in a Fry's before...though I've been in an area that has one or two (Mesa, Arizona area)...they need to come up this way. Circuit City was right across the street from the Best Buy around here...then we had Ultimate Electronics next door to a CompUSA and a Circuit City on the other side of town...and of course, all three went under.

The old CC building nearest the Best Buy was taken over by a local retail company - Baillo's as they're called - they sell with permission refurbished Apple products...however their electronics department is limp at best...and their sales associates are hopeless.

However, seeing as I shop at local computer stores for motherboards and hard to find computer parts...and on occasion I go to places like TigerDirect and New Egg...if Best Buy goes under, I wouldn't miss them - the local Best Buy's here are slowly starting to lose their appeal - especially with the Apple products - it's increasingly hard to find stuff in stock without ordering.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

HH Greg moved into Chicago area replacing most of the Circuit Stores and seem to be doing fine...

Also we still have 3 CompUSA they are the factory outlet stores for Tiger Direct and they are grew tho have...
    24" imac 2009 core 2 duo
    2.66 intel Duo Core / 13" mb 2010 / mbpro
    ipod touch 1st generation 8gb / Ipod touch 4 gen 8 gb /
    iphone 5 16gb / IPad 2 32 gig wi-fi / ATv2

Thread Information