Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Situation kicked out of Apple Store for Cutting in Line
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    ...although maybe I should skip to the chase and read One Dimensional Man and Future Shock again...

That all said, Fahrenheit 451's an afternoon read at least Marcuse, not so much
    Yeah, Marcuse is a bit of a thicker read than Bradbury.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Herbert is interesting, but is a bit idealistic for me. Obviously he has an agenda. I do however think he has some great insights on how silly, and ultimately tragic we denizens of the 20th century are. His observations make alternatives like anarchy or becoming a hermit seem like an appealing alternative to me.
    Absolutely. The Frankfurt School theorists make their political arguments without compunction. That is the essence of critical theory after all.

I like how a discussion of Jersey Shore has somehow lead to a discussion of the Frankfurt School of philosophy.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I like how a discussion of Jersey Shore has somehow lead to a discussion of the Frankfurt School of philosophy.
    Is it really such a dichotomy of thought though?

Hey, all this served a greater purpose. I found One Dimensional Man online

One Dimensional Man, by Herbert Marcuse (contents)
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    If that "GENTLEMAN" came into my store and did that, he would be under arrest leave alone thrown out. What a jerk!

Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    I can't believe how many people watch that show. It actually bothers me to know that people somehow find it entertaining.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    I can't believe how many people watch that show. It actually bothers me to know that people somehow find it entertaining.
    Not that I watch the show, but I think you may need to rearrange your priorities if it bothers you that much.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Is it really such a dichotomy of thought though?
    I suppose if you think about it, the members of Jersey Shore embody the ideas of ODM fairly well. Then again, so do many vociferous fanboys.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
    Not that I watch the show, but I think you may need to rearrange your priorities if it bothers you that much.
    Priorities? What priorities? I don't watch the show. I go to class, hear it in class from some fool...usually goes something along the lines of- "OH!! I can't WAIT to go home to catch the new Jersey Shore!") I remember watching an episode when I started hearing about it, and just kept thinking of how people could be stupid enough to enjoy watching stupid people act cool. I don't know if you've heard them talk on the show, but a 2nd grader is more dramatically correct when talking!
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Priorities? What priorities? I don't watch the show. I go to class, hear it in class from some fool...usually goes something along the lines of- "OH!! I can't WAIT to go home to catch the new Jersey Shore!") I remember watching an episode when I started hearing about it, and just kept thinking of how people could be stupid enough to enjoy watching stupid people act cool. I don't know if you've heard them talk on the show, but a 2nd grader is more dramatically correct when talking!
    Worrying about others' tastes in the TV shows they watch in the privacy of their homes generally ranks pretty low on my list of priorities. By the way, did you mean "grammatically correct"?

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 2.9 GHz i7 8 GB RAM, MacBook Pro Mid 2009 13" 2.26 GHz 4 GB RAM
    Haha thats good I would have love to have been the employee telling him to gtfo!

Your Mac's Specs
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Somewhere, Steve Jobs has got to be smiling.
    I can't imagine how he couldn't.

I know a few people who watch it because they find the drama and the overall stupidity of the cast entertaining.

Life shouldn't always be serious, and sometimes it's just fun to watch other people mess up.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
    Worrying about others' tastes in the TV shows they watch in the privacy of their homes generally ranks pretty low on my list of priorities. By the way, did you mean "grammatically correct"?
    Yeah, guess it autocorrected to that. I didn't say I was worried, I just think about it. It's not like I create a list of priorities and do them in order. I do things as they come. When is see this kind of crap, I think about it. That doesn't mean someone should assume it's high on my priority list.

Awesome...

I'm from New Jersey and I can tell you with confidence that VERY few of us are like the living cartoon characters from The Jersey Shore.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    I'm proud to say that I've never seen a single episode of this show, but Iggibar said you just can't escape it. In the area I live in everyone under the age 30 (And probably others above) talk about these people. If not for stories listed in the OP I wouldn't know who the people in the show are to make the connection.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

It has also been reported that he was partially kicked out for the reason that kept raising his shirt saying, "There's an ab for that."

Thread Information