Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Steve Jobs was no genius..
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
    A student studying to an ME? Seriously? Why don't they go find some homeless guy from central London to write their next piece...

That being said, was he a genius? Probably not. Was he a techno visionary? Yes, of a different flavor even. Did he merge aesthetics with functionality? Yes he did, better than any one else had before.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    i think your response has just made his point.........

Your Mac's Specs
    3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    i think your response has just made his point.........
    Perhaps. Either way Jobs and Apple made a huge impact in the way people view and interact with technology. Like it or not, a lot of people view him as the "genius" behind their technology and how it works in their daily lives.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Perhaps. Either way Jobs and Apple made a huge impact in the way people view and interact with technology.
    spot on!

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    The small-minded and unaccomplished have always whined that they too would have stood at the pinnacle had they had the opportunity afforded to others.

Was Steve Jobs a genius?
    Genius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I, and most of the world believe so. If the young (and to my mind presumptuously arrogant) writer of the cited column can show us by his own accomplishments that he has the credentials to judge better than we, then I will give him heed. Until he does that my tendency would be to categorize him with the first group I mentioned above.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    dear me, because the said journalist has a different opinion to you lot, he is hung drawn and quartered.....

small minded you say...hmm

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by j0nb0y32 View Post
    dear me, because the said journalist has a different opinion to you lot, he is hung drawn and quartered.....

small minded you say...hmm
    Go back and read the last paragraph again.

Also, everyone is entitled to their opinions (the young man in question not excepted). But it is never in good taste to go to a house in mourning and make snipes at the departed. This a a Forum about all things Mac and we here tend to respect the accomplishments and contributions of Steve Jobs more than others perhaps.
    You should not be surprised if posts such as this one aren't viewed positively.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

I guess I don't see the rationale that popular (i.e.- successfully marketed) and genius are mutually exclusive existences.

To me, it just seems like a bit of a hit piece with no real substantiation to support his view.

Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I'm not even sure why this rates a discussion. A college student strings together a few sentences - taking a contrarian view but providing absolutely nothing to support that view - and we're supposed to take notice? This "article" wouldn't even rate publishing in a high school news letter - so I'm surmising the bar is pretty low for this particular blog. Usually - if you want to publish an opinion piece, whether in line with the popular view or not, you'd feel compelled to provide some substantiating evidence for your opinion - not just base your 'arguments' on further unsubstantiated opinion. I wish I had my 20 sec back that I wasted reading someone's completely irrelevant opinion. It seems to me - the proof is in the pudding. You don't impact the world in the way Steve Jobs did - and not rate some lofty title - and genius is as good as any. Whether quantified or not - it's immaterial. Anyone who can so dramatically change the landscape of technology and how we live probably deserves the title.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    I'm not even sure why this rates a discussion. A college student strings together a few sentences - taking a contrarian view but providing absolutely nothing to support that view - and we're supposed to take notice? This "article" wouldn't even rate publishing in a high school news letter - so I'm surmising the bar is pretty low for this particular blog. Usually - if you want to publish an opinion piece, whether in line with the popular view or not, you'd feel compelled to provide some substantiating evidence for your opinion - not just base your 'arguments' on further unsubstantiated opinion. I wish I had my 20 sec back that I wasted reading someone's completely irrelevant opinion. It seems to me - the proof is in the pudding. You don't impact the world in the way Steve Jobs did - and not rate some lofty title - and genius is as good as any. Whether quantified or not - it's immaterial. Anyone who can so dramatically change the landscape of technology and how we live probably deserves the title.
    +1 to that

Your Mac's Specs
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    +2 to that

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
    I decided to skip reading the linked article/blog because I"m sure he's just trying to gain notice to his blog by just writing something un-substantiating and of course hot topic. There's a film critic for Rotten Tomatoes that does this just to generate hits on his posts that seems to sound like the author above.

The term "Genius" when applied to Jobs could be ambiguous based on your opinion of his career accomplishments. Someone that doesn't particularly care for Apple products will of course discount anything successful he's produced as nothing more than a fancy wrapping paper on a PC. Someone that favors Apple products will of course view Jobs as a "Genius" and visionary in the field.
    LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
    2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    To me this is not worth arguing about, but in my eyes Jobs is a Genius in many ways. I have been following him since his early years at apple and he was so ahead of his time in many ways, and many of his ideas TO ME are true genius.

Now the Genius's at the Genius Bars, that is another Story!!! Grin

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    And let us wait for another fifty years and see if this Tim character is anywhere near the genius Jobs was.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information