Anandtech reviews Apple Thunderbolt Display, Predicts Direction of Apple Computers
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Anandtech reviews Apple Thunderbolt Display, Predicts Direction of Apple Computers
    I'm not sure whether a video review in and of itself constitutes news, but the more interesting part of this video review for me was Anand's musing on what the Thunderbolt display and, indeed, Thunderbolt itself could mean about where Apple seeks to take computing.

While the traditional laptop dock never gained a huge amount of popularity, one could argue that the Thunderbolt display is a new approach to that concept. More importantly, because of the nature of Thunderbolt, it might not be long before we see all sorts of other goodies attached to a mobile computer through that Thunderbolt cable in such a set up, such as, say, a desktop class graphics processor for when you're sitting at a desk and more likely to need that power to carry out heavy duty tasks and drive a display with a massive native resolution.

It's definitely worth a watch, and if this turns out to be the case, it makes me much less worried about the direction I've seen mobile computers headed over the last couple of years. Link is below.

AnandTech - The Apple Thunderbolt Display Review

Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    My attention span won't let me read any more than the front page - although I plan to at some point today - maybe if this caffeine kicks in. If Apple will aggregate everything via 1 or 2 wired interfaces, which is highly plausible - then the next logical step will be for some of the short distance, extremely high bandwidth standards that are currently being developed to displace that cable - so all you have to do is set your computer down near the display and peripherals and go.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I was going to post the URL the night it went up, but got busy and forgot. Thanks Disceptor for posting this. Very interesting read and great review from Anand as always.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    My attention span won't let me read any more than the front page - although I plan to at some point today - maybe if this caffeine kicks in. If Apple will aggregate everything via 1 or 2 wired interfaces, which is highly plausible - then the next logical step will be for some of the short distance, extremely high bandwidth standards that are currently being developed to displace that cable - so all you have to do is set your computer down near the display and peripherals and go.
    The youtube video does a pretty good overview if you don't want to do all that reading.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Information