Macbook External Harddrive Advice Needed - Failed SSD
    Hi All,

Thanks to all those that helped with my previous issue, one more question....

My SSD recently failed on my Macbook and I am currently stuck abroad with no means of returning it to the store to fix under warranty.

I need to get it working and thinking of buying an external SSD hard drive for use to boot my mac and use as my current drive until I can get back to the UK to fix it.

Only issue is that my Macbook has 1 USB-C port (no other ports, I use that as my charging port also) is this going to be feasible and workable? What sort of set up do you suggest as I would need to charge (which uses that USB-C port) at the sametime as having the hard drive plugged in. Imagine I would need some sort of dongle that wouldn't throttle the speed of the port or the hard drive.

Don't want to fork out for a new SSD and multiple USB-C ports to find that I can't charge and use my external hard drive at the sametime. I am using a.Apple MacBook 12 Retina 2016 Core m5 1.20GHz 8GB 500GB SSD Silver Mojave.

Imagine Ill want to buy an SSD hard drive with the quickest read speed, but what about the adapter / dongle?

Let me know if this is a good idea for a temporary fix?

Thanks

P

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. What you should look for is a pass through USB/USB C adapter that will allow charging the MacBook at the same time. Not knowing where you are, it may be difficult to find something like that. Apple does sell a multiple adapter dongle for your MacBook but you probably won't be able to get one until you return to the UK.

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by patneligan View Post
    Only issue is that my Macbook has 1 USB-C port (no other ports, I use that as my charging port also) is this going to be feasible and workable? What sort of set up do you suggest as I would need to charge (which uses that USB-C port) at the sametime as having the hard drive plugged in. Imagine I would need some sort of dongle that wouldn't throttle the speed of the port or the hard drive.
    I use in a service environment both an Apple adapter, USB-C to RGB, USB3 and power pass through, and a non Apple adapter USB-C to HDMI, USB3 and power pass through. Those or similar would suit your need.

Your MacBook has its storage integrated into its logic board, so will likely require a replacement logic board when you eventually get it repaired.
    Steve
    UK

Thread Information