Thread: Which laptop ?

Which laptop ?
    Hey Guys, im new here. Looking to cross over from a Windows laptop over to a mac. Looking to stay under $1000 and i found these two options below, which would be better ?

Im basically looking for something that i will be bringing back and forth from work, mostly will just be using apps, web browsing and email (most of my work is email, and web based software) no editing, etc.

I seen this one for $999 at best buy, which i assume is a 2020 model
    Apple - MacBook Air 13.3" Laptop with Touch ID - Intel Core i3 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive (Latest Model) - Space Gray

but i have found a used laptop that is local in the same price range ($1100), its in very good condition and doesn't appear the guy used it much. (comes in the box and everything)
    Macbook Pro 13.3" (2017) i5 2.3GHZ 8GB 256GB

While i understand i3 vs i5 and air vs pro would i be better off getting a new model for that price or paying for a used one and it being a three year old laptop ? The guy selling it said that is the lowest he would go but i figured i would ask everyone here.

Thanks in advance.

Which laptop ?
    Based on your use case, the MBA (assuming the 2020 model) would be a better fit. The RAM is faster than the 2017 MBP. Both of them are dual core processors, so while the MBP is "faster", the newer gen CPU in the MBA is actually faster.

The SSD is also likely to be faster than the MBP.

A 2020 model will easily be supported for the next decade or so with updates from Apple and you get the AppleCare warranty which you will not get with the 3 year old MBP and if the logicboard were to fail, you're looking at close to $750 to get it fixed up. As a first time Mac purchase, I would strongly recommend having the warranty to cover yourself and not sour the purchase.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Which laptop ?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Check out Apple's refurbished area as well. Usually you can save about 15% or more vs. brand new item (refurbished items are just like new & have same warranty as new).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Which laptop ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Based on your use case, the MBA (assuming the 2020 model) would be a better fit. The RAM is faster than the 2017 MBP. Both of them are dual core processors, so while the MBP is "faster", the newer gen CPU in the MBA is actually faster.
    I haven't seen anyone do any benchmarks yet, but I'm told that the bottom-on-the-line i3 processor in the new 2020 MBA is really anemic, and that the extra $100 to step up to the i5 option is well worth it.

I also second Nick's suggestion to purchase an Apple refurbished laptop. They are like-new, come with a warranty, and they are usually nicely discounted:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

What Apple has available refurbished varies daily, and may sell out quickly. Fortunately there are free Web-based services that will track what is offered for you and alert you as soon as what you are waiting for comes available:

RefurbMe: Refurbished Apple Products Comparator

Watch Apple Refurb deals and save up to 40% - Refurb Tracker
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information