Compare MacBook Pros

Compare MacBook Pros
    I have a MacBook Pro 15 2.9GHz Core i7 16GB RAM 2133 MHz LPDDR3. 512GB SSD.

I am considering getting a MacBook Pro 15.4" 2019 - Core i9 9980HK / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / AMD555X

How do these MacBooks compare in terms of power and performance? I want to know that the MacBook I looking at is going to be superior than the MacBook I already have.

Compare MacBook Pros
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    You didn't mention the processor speed on the 2019 version? However, that's one of the things I like about everymac.com. They have a compare feature, which makes it easy to see the differences.

The I9 is faster than the I7, the processor is newer in the 2019 MBP. Also, the newer models offer more cores, than the older models, so more cores means more speed.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Compare MacBook Pros

Now I am looking at an i9 with the following specs;

Macbook Pro 15" i9 2019 512gb SSD 2.3GHz CPU 16GB RAM MV912LL/A

How does this compare to my i7?

Compare MacBook Pros
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Do some research on the i9s. Lots of complaints about them running hot and noisy. My personal feeling is that they are not worth the extra $$, but that's a choice for you to make.

Compare MacBook Pros
    Quote Originally Posted by matty1 View Post
    Now I am looking at an i9 with the following specs;

Macbook Pro 15" i9 2019 512gb SSD 2.3GHz CPU 16GB RAM MV912LL/A

How does this compare to my i7?
    Here is a site that runs benchmarking software on all of the Macs Apple has released and which allows you to compare the results.

Mac Benchmarks
    - Geekbench Browser

As you can see, the MBP you are looking at with an i9 is significantly faster than your i7. However, whether or not you will even notice the extra speed when using the i9 MBP depends on what sorts of software you are running. If all that you do is word processing, Web browsing, and e-mail, you might not notice any difference at all.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Compare MacBook Pros
    What matters most is what you are going to do with the machine, if you are going to be browsing the web, creating documents and other simple tasks, you will see no overall difference between the machines. If you are doing more strenuous work, AND that work is CPU bound, then you might see a benefit. The newer machine purely based on hardware alone will be "better" because it's a newer generation everything.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Compare MacBook Pros

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    What matters most is what you are going to do with the machine, if you are going to be browsing the web, creating documents and other simple tasks, you will see no overall difference between the machines. If you are doing more strenuous work, AND that work is CPU bound, then you might see a benefit. The newer machine purely based on hardware alone will be "better" because it's a newer generation everything.
    Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ll mainly be doing simple tasks. I’m evaluating the cost efficacy of i7 v i9 and wanting to work out what the best upgrade option is.

Compare MacBook Pros
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Graphics processing abilities are important as well. The more difficult part about evaluating graphics abilities is benchmarks for GPU's are not as easy to find as benchmarks for CPU's.

But generally speaking...the newer the GPU...usually the better it is. Thus if you're trying to decide between two or more choices...and just about all specs seem to be about the same otherwise. If one computer has a newer GPU...you could potentailly use this to "break the tie".

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Compare MacBook Pros

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Here is a site that runs benchmarking software on all of the Macs Apple has released and which allows you to compare the results.

Mac Benchmarks
    - Geekbench Browser

As you can see, the MBP you are looking at with an i9 is significantly faster than your i7. However, whether or not you will even notice the extra speed when using the i9 MBP depends on what sorts of software you are running. If all that you do is word processing, Web browsing, and e-mail, you might not notice any difference at all.
    So the i9 2.3GHz is significantly faster than the i7 2.9GHz despite a lower processor rating? Is this because of more cores?

Compare MacBook Pros
    Quote Originally Posted by matty1 View Post
    So the i9 2.3GHz is significantly faster than the i7 2.9GHz despite a lower processor rating? Is this because of more cores?
    Having more cores is one part of it, the newer gen processors have more transistors and do more work with at lower speeds.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Compare MacBook Pros
    Your Mac's Specs
    A few computers, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 1&5, iPad Pro 11"
    On a performance-built machine, the i9 destroys the i7. The same i9 processor put inside those MacBook Pros is capable of reaching 5.0GHz from Intel if it is correctly cooled.
    HOWEVER, the problem is the MacBook Pro doesn't allow for proper cooling once the clock count starts rising and creating more heat. The computer will throttle down to a much lower sustained clock speed to achieve "normal" high operating temps. This is why Apple underclocked them and you will never see those speeds. The i7 has a higher single core clock speed, and you will probably notice this a lot more since not a lot of apps utilize multi cores.

If it were my decision, I would stay away from the i9. I bet in years to come, those i9 equipped MacBook Pros are going to be known for cooking themselves to a crisp.
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 12x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Compare MacBook Pros
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Good stuff Iggi. Exactly my opinion regarding the i9. For now, I too recommend staying away from the i9.

Thread Information