Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2014 Macbook Air Upgrades

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27 inch iMac
    I just bought a 2014 Macbook Air, it's only got a 1.4 GHz CPU and a very sad 4GB of RAM. I know you can't really upgrade that so, what are the best things I can do to speed this thing up. Just some background - I bought it on eBay and I'm going to give it to my mother for Mother's day. She is a teacher and uses technology a lot, she always has like 9000 tabs open. She currently has a crappy HP laptop running windows 7 with a mechanical HDD which is slow as hell. At the very least this MacBook will have a better battery but I would like to make it as fast as I can.

Thanks in advance,

-Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Not much can be upgraded in any current (last 5 years) MacBook (Pro, Air too), except maybe the SSD drive, but that won't speed anything up.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    According to the Mactracker app there are two 2014 MacBook Air models. Both can be upgraded to 8 GB. Apple's specs officially say 4 GB but

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27 inch iMac
    It can support 8GB but you can't upgrade it because fricken apple soldered it to the board.. Thanks apple..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1991 View Post
    It can support 8GB but you can't upgrade it because fricken apple soldered it to the board.. Thanks apple..

Quite right!!! :-(

4 GB Maximum RAM: 8 GB*
    Details: *4 GB of RAM is onboard. It could be upgraded at the time of purchase to 8 GB as a US$100 option, but it cannot be upgraded later.
    MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.4 13" (Early 2014) Specs (Early 2014, MD760LL/B*, MacBookAir6,2, A1466, 2632): EveryMac.com

- Patrick
    ======

I just bought a 2014 Macbook Air, it's only got a 1.4 GHz CPU and a very sad 4GB of RAM. ...what are the best things I can do to speed this thing up...
    I have several MBA's in my office that have the same amount of RAM, and the same or worse specs and they are all older than your MBA. They aren't at all slow, and 4GB of RAM is not at all "sad" for just about all purposes.

The best thing that you can do to speed your MBA up is upgrade to the most recent operating system version that makes sense. With every operating system upgrade Apple has included more advanced memory management and compression, and has made things run a bit faster. My experience, though, is that you won't likely realize the latter unless you do a clean install of the new OS.

Your MBA can be upgraded all the way up to the latest version of the Mac OS, which is macOS 10.15 (Catalina)....which I don't recommend because it won't run 32-bit apps and it still likely has a data-loss problem in Mail.

So, if your MBA doesn't already have Mojave installed, that's what I recommend:

MacOS 10.14 - Mojave - FREE
    Connecting to the Mac App Store

Let me know if you have problems downloading or installing Mojave...some folks have been having an expired certificate problem that requires a work-around.

Here is how to do a clean install of the Mac OS:

Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System
    Especially item #6

I'm assuming that your MBA is already running just fine. If it is currently running slow, then it has a problem, and you should fix that first. See:

Macintosh Slowdown Solutions
    Macintosh OS X Slowdown Solutions
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

While the MBA might not be a performance monster like the Mac Pro or iMac or Macbook Pro, it is quite a capable machine. Besides, it isn't the hardware that makes the Mac perform better than a PC, it's the operating system. macOS (based on Unix) is far more efficient with hardware use that Windows ever will be because Apple designed the hardware and the software to work with it. Windows has to work with a large variety of hardware combinations and at its core has some limitations.

You might find that the MBA is a perfectly suitable replacement for the PC. While it might not support 9000 tabs, it is unreasonable for any machine to handle that many. Perhaps you should take the time to teach the user how to handle an appropriate number of tabs.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27 inch iMac
    Lmao i always tell her not to open them all but shes a teacher so she has lesson plans open and now with being at home she has to teach from home so.... I don't actually know how the Macbook preforms. I didn't get it yet I bought it on eBay yesterday. The only reason I was concerned is cuz I have an iMac with like 4 times everything in there.

One of the things I've found with multiple tabs is that takes up resources as well. So I've found that there is a extension called The Great Suspender that will suspend unused tabs for a period of inactivity so that it doesn't take up resources all the time.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 27 inch iMac
    Awesome, thanks! I will install that when I get it.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Here's one idea that may help a bit with the number of tabs. It might be particularly useful if she teaches more than one subject.

1. Open a series of tabs that are somehow related (all related to earth science for example).
    2. From the Safari Bookmark menu add a Bookmark folder.
    3. Also from the Bookmark menu choose Add Bookmarks for these x tabs).
    4. With this arrangement it's possible to open that entire group of sites in a series of tabs within the same window. Click on the folder name in the Bookmark list and open in tabs is one option. Closing the window closes all tabs at once.

This process can be repeated with different subjects/topics.

Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    One of the things I've found with multiple tabs is that takes up resources as well. So I've found that there is a extension called The Great Suspender that will suspend unused tabs for a period of inactivity so that it doesn't take up resources all the time.
    Certainly going tp give that a look.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
    I just bought a 2014 Macbook Air, it's only got a 1.4 GHz CPU and a very sad 4GB of RAM. I know you can't really upgrade that so, what are the best things I can do to speed this thing up. Just some background - I bought it on eBay and I'm going to give it to my mother for Mother's day. She is a teacher and uses technology a lot, she always has like 9000 tabs open. She currently has a crappy HP laptop running windows 7 with a mechanical HDD which is slow as hell. At the very least this MacBook will have a better battery but I would like to make it as fast as I can.

Thanks in advance,-Nick
    The best way I know is to delete all non essential Applications and not to keep so many tabs open. Also to try the trial version of CleanMyMac X. (MacPaw) Many Mac users don't believe that such an application is necessary, but if you thank that just dragging an application to the bin deletes fully deletes that application is wrong your library will be full of plists, kext caches etc. Warning CleanMyMac is not to confused with MacKeeper as other members can advise.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I use AppCleaner, AppCleaner, to clean up all the "extra" files.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Also to try the trial version of CleanMyMac X. (MacPaw) Many

I will admit that CleanMyMacdoes an admiral and through job and I just recently ended up paying for the older version 3 that works with Mavericks that I use and before the developer makes it unavailable.

It was able to clear up some old cache files etc. that nothing else seemed able to do properly.

I don't often recommend "Cleaner" Software for the Mac, but in this case I was quite impressed. There are lots of other things I will be using it for in the future and I found it worked quite well even in trial mode, but using it in paid mode is much better and worth the price IMHO, especially when it was on sale and with a discount coupon!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information