Trackpad jumping around
    Hi. I have a problem with my macbook pro and wonder if anyone here can help me. The problem is that the computer mouse /trackpad suddenly jumps around. It starts marking, pressing wildly everywhere, switching windows etc without me doing anything. Read that it could be because the battery ran out so ordered a new battery, opened it up and saw that the old one did not bump or show signs of swelling. Still changed battery since the battery cycle was at 2106 (Limit is a 1000 so it went a lot over maximum). Opened the mac and used it with the hope that the problem was resolved, but after 20 minutes it started to jump around again. I don't know what to do. Not interested in spending money sending it on service because it's 8 years old. It works fine besides the hang ups so sad to see it go. Anyone That can help a desperate mac owner who doesn't want to spend 1.499$ on a new mac?

Trackpad jumping around
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

The Trackpad may be damaged or defective. Unless you're prepared to spend $$ on getting it repaired, I suggest turning off the Trackpad and perhaps getting used to using a mouse again.

Tell us the exact model and year MacBook Pro you have. Perhaps it may be possible to replace just the Trackpad without costing too much.

Thanks for replying!

It’s a macbook pro retina, 13 inch, late 2012

Trackpad jumping around
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Okay, thanks for the info.

The folks at ifixit.com have a repair replacement guide on how to replace the Trackpad in your model MacBook Pro.

Take a look at the procedure and see if you are capable of doing the repair yourself. You will also need to buy a new Trackpad for your MBP.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Late 2012 Trackpad Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

Trackpad jumping around
    Apple suggests trying this:

Put the MacBook Air on a hard surface. Press really hard on diagonally opposed corners of the trackpad at the same time (example: press the top right corner with your right index finger at the same time as the bottom left corner with your left index finger) repeat for all four corners. Do multiple times if necessary until the issue is resolved.

If that doesn't help, try:

Apple menu --> System Preferences --> Trackpad --> uncheck the "press to click option" in the "One finger" section
    It will now take a much harder press to register a click on your trackpad. See if this solves the problem.

Final thing to try:

Trash the trackpad's preferences file (.plist).

Click on the desktop to get into the Finder
    Hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu
    "Library" will appear in the menu; choose it
    Then go to:
    Preferences folder --> com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist
    Drag the "com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist" file to the desktop.
    Restart your Mac. A fresh copy of "com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist" will be automatically created.
    If things are now all better, you can trash the copy of "com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist" on your desktop.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Trackpad jumping around
    Have you spilled any liquid on this keyboard/trackpad area?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Trackpad jumping around
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Just in case...make 100% sure when using the MacBook Pro's trackpad that the palm of your hand is touching the case of the computer. I have multiple laptops that I use...and I notice with a MacBook Air I have...that if I have the computer sitting next to me (not on my lap or on a table)...and if I'm only using the tip of my finger to control the cursor via the builtin trackpad (nothing else touching the computer)...the cursor movement can be very erratic. But as soon as I touch my palm to the computer & use my finger tip on the trackpad...the cursor works fine.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information