Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacLover2011's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 24, 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    387
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Rep Power
    10
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    Many times when I am typing on my MacBook Pro 16 computer, the curser will jump above where I am typing. Does anyone know if I am inadvertaly pressing an unknown shortcut that makes it do that? Or might it be a glitch. Perhaps it's just human error on my part. I don't know. It's annoying, that I do know!

  2. #2
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    7,883
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    29
    It is really easy to unwittingly tap the trackpad when typing, which then causes the cursor to move. Could that be it? Typing on a keyboard just above a trackpad requires a higher arch in the wrist. I put my MBP on small angled stand to get a bit more clearance, but still find myself touching the trackpad when I travel and don't have the stand with me.
    Jake

  3. #3
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacLover2011's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 24, 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    387
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    It is really easy to unwittingly tap the trackpad when typing, which then causes the cursor to move. Could that be it? Typing on a keyboard just above a trackpad requires a higher arch in the wrist. I put my MBP on small angled stand to get a bit more clearance, but still find myself touching the trackpad when I travel and don't have the stand with me.
    That very well might be the issue. Does Apple sell a stand for the 2019 MacBook Pro 16 inch?

    Edit: I just did a search and see a nice one from Apple!

  4. #4
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,584
    Rep Power
    24
    Of all the trackpads out there I've found the MBP trackpads to be very rarely susceptible to the errant typing issue since other trackpads allow for click with touch while the MBP's trackpad requires an actual physical click. So while the cursor might move around with your palm touching it, unless you are resting your palm on the trackpad, this isn't an issue.

    If you do find yourself resting your inner palm on the trackpad, you have a few options, one is the stand and external keyboard, the other is to shift your resting point to the outer palms, which if you are positioning around the F and J with your pointer fingers should be just on the either side of the trackpad.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  5. #5
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    60,270
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    56
    Or, disable the Trackpad. Of course that's a drastic solution but some of us (me) with lazy hands, it was the only way. I touch type and find myself hitting the Trackpad no matter what I do. No longer a problem with my iMac and Magic Trackpad 2.

  6. #6
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    7,883
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    29
    If you adopt a typing techique closer to piano playing the trackpad doesn't get touched as much. In this technique, keep the wrists up, off the machine and curve the fingers more. It might be tiresome at first, but as the wrists get used to it, it's much easier. My piano lessons finally paid off!

    - - - Updated - - -

    As for stands, there are a lot of them. Cooler Master makes some nice ones. Search on Amazon and you'll get hundreds of options.
    Jake

  7. #7
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacLover2011's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 24, 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    387
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    If you adopt a typing techique closer to piano playing the trackpad doesn't get touched as much. In this technique, keep the wrists up, off the machine and curve the fingers more. It might be tiresome at first, but as the wrists get used to it, it's much easier. My piano lessons finally paid off!

    - - - Updated - - -

    As for stands, there are a lot of them. Cooler Master makes some nice ones. Search on Amazon and you'll get hundreds of options.
    Sounds like a very good idea!

  8. #8
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    13,108
    Rep Power
    20
    Or, disable the Trackpad. Of course that's a drastic solution

    How about this for an easier method?:
    How To Disable MacBook Trackpad when using a Mouse
    How To Disable MacBook Trackpad when using a Mouse

    Or some of these:
    mac how to disable the Trackpad - Google Search

    Personally, I'd probably try covering trackpad with some metallized/metal foil duct tape. I would think they would work.




    - Patrick
    ======

  9. #9
    Why does my curser jump to paragraphs above where I am typing on my new MacBook Pro 16 inch?
    MacLover2011's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 24, 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    387
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Rep Power
    10
    That's an option. Thanks for your reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    How about this for an easier method?:
    How To Disable MacBook Trackpad when using a Mouse
    How To Disable MacBook Trackpad when using a Mouse

    Or some of these:
    mac how to disable the Trackpad - Google Search

    Personally, I'd probably try covering trackpad with some metallized/metal foil duct tape. I would think they would work.




    - Patrick
    ======

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM
  2. App for tagging paragraphs?
    By humanengr in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 09:34 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
  4. Curser Problem with my Macbook pro
    By tanthony in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
  5. Curser and keyboard not working on my 2yr old Macbook??
    By JWhitney in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •