A very unique problem: My MacBook Pro randomly shuts down and wonít boot?
    I have a 2015 15” MacBook Pro, and it randomly shuts down and won’t boot back up. I don’t know what’s causing this behaviour.

I was just browsing the web, and it shut down and won’t power on again. I plugged in the MagSafe and the light is amber and changes to green after 20min or so. That means MacBook is charging the MacBook. However, the MacBook still won’t power on.

I opened it up, and unplugged the battery and pressed the power button to drain any electricity in the motherboard. I plugged the battery cable, and it booted up fine. The MacBook worked for a couple of days, but it randomly shut down again and wouldn’t boot up. I repeated the steps again, and it worked for a few days and does it again.

This happens regardless if it’s on battery or plugged in.

A couple of days ago, while I using the MacBook while running on battery, it went to sleep and wouldn’t wake up. It said battery low, and I need to plug it in. But when I plugged the MagSafe, it booted into MacOS but it says the battery is fully charged. I checked the battery cycle, and it’s 300. I have tried NVRM/PRAM reset and SMC reset with no luck.

The MacBook randomly shuts down when I’m running MacOS, Bootcamp, or Apple’s built-in diagnostics.

I took it to Apple Store, and they ran their in-depth diagnostics, but it showed there were no faults with the MacBook. They opened it up and say no problems inside as well.

What could be causing this?
    Last edited by fung1998; 03-06-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I have tried NVRM/PRAM reset and SMC reset with no luck. I tried safe mode two weeks ago and it still shut down randomly. Could it be VRM chips that are faulty?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I took it to Apple Store, and they ran their in-depth diagnostics, but it showed there were no faults with the MacBook. They opened it up and say no problems inside as well.

What could be causing this?
    Welcome to our forums.

Intermittent problems are usually the most difficult to track down. It sounds like the battery might be okay and if it only has 300 cycles on it, the charge capacity should still be good. The charge - recharge circuitry and power circuitry is all controlled within the logic board. You might want to do some internet searching to see if others have the same problem and how it was eventually solved.

One other thing... even though the battery appears okay and only has 300 cycles on it, it may still be intermittently failing. You might want to download the free "coconutBattery app" and use it to monitor your battery.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by fung1998 View Post
    I have tried NVRM/PRAM reset and SMC reset with no luck. I tried safe mode two weeks ago and it still shut down randomly. Could it be VRM chips that are faulty?
    Oh, I missed the part where you said you took it to Apple.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information