Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can I update 2015 HDD to SSD
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by pothypine View Post
    anyone other than Harry have any thoughts about the above questions?

1) Time Machine Recovery, for all the apps and purchase programs

2) SSD Choice?

3) RAM?
    Hi Pothypine - coming in late to your thread and after many posts from some of our most experienced hardware experts - but, just wanted to add some thoughts for your consideration: 1) first pic below appears to be your 2012 MBPro showing the 500 GB HDD (spinner) - more details HERE; and 2) RAM may not be upgraded if soldered - don't know - others can confirm.

As to your Apps/Programs, suggestions have been given, but let to throw out an option that others may help to confirm, i.e. a bootable clone of your present HDD - I use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) for backups - may be a consideration, so let's see how our experts respond?

For checking your battery, download Coconut Battery - see 2nd pic below of the app showing my MBAir's battery stats - cycle count and battery life (percent ratio of current full charge capacity over design capacity) are the important factors. Now, I'm not adding much already suggested but the pics and links may help you better understand.

Finally, OWC (Other World Computing) is a great place for Apple equipment - check the website and give them a call as to your possible drive and RAM updates. Dave

Pro1.png
    Pro2.png
    Last edited by RadDave; 02-14-2020 at 12:17 AM.
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

MBAmtloin
    2012 MacBook pros RAM hd, etc can be upgraded easily.

Thank you all so much for the advice and input...i'm getting down to the wire here and looking at SSD's and Memory

is there much quality and performance difference between:

1)Samsung - 860 EVO 1TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive AND OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (1TB) (the latter is $80 more expensive)

and for Memory

2) Ripjaws or any other brand? AND OWC 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    I like OWCSSDs and OWC and Criucial memory. Plus xit is cheaper to buy direct and have air mailed to Australia and still comes in much cheaper than local purchasing.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

sounds good...if i upgrade with the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (1TB) and 16 GB RAM, and new Hard Drive Cable would there be much difference in performance if I ALSO upgraded the processor? I haven't watched any DIY videos on that, so don't know if it's technical or not...

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    sounds good...if i upgrade with the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (1TB) and 16 GB RAM, and new Hard Drive Cable would there be much difference in performance if I ALSO upgraded the processor? I haven't watched any DIY videos on that, so don't know if it's technical or not...
    Hello again - if you check the first link (EveryMac) in my post, the CPU is stated to be 'soldered', so cannot be upgraded - plus, good that you're going w/ OWC; I've bought a lot of products from them, mostly external HDDs for backups. Good luck - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I don't think you can upgrade the cpu in a MacBook Pro. I've not heard of it being done... I'm fairly certain it's soldered in and iFixIt doesn't have a guide for it.
    MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Repair - iFixit

Like the others I've long recommended OWC's products and have no problems recommending their RAM still, but I'm going to go against the grain here and NOT recommend their SSDs. I've had 2 different SSDs of theirs fail on me recently, one a 2.5" form factor in a Mac mini, the other a blade-type form factor in a MacBook Air. Both had identical symptoms and both started sometime after migrating to Mojave. It took me a long time to figure out the issues I was having was in fact the drives and by the time I did, I had already settled into a new MBA and the one in the mini was out of warranty anyway so I never inquired further into it. I may have been unusually misfortunate, but their drives use a controller called SandForce, and it does some things differently than other SSD controllers thet I don't know how to explain, but I know some people frown on SandForce in some other tech forums. That said, I have an OWC SSD running in an iMac now owned by an in-law that is much older than either of those other 2 cases of mine with no issues. But it's also not upgradable to Mojave and thus not formatted in APFS, which makes me suspicious that maybe SandForce doesn't play so nice with APFS. But again, my experience and I may have just been unusually unlucky.

EDIT: No, I wasn't unusually unlucky. Some quick googling turned up a discussion where others have been having identical problems with at least the type of OWC SSDs used in my MBA.
    SSD, Fusion and flash drives | Page 9 | MacInTouch Community
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-14-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

just on with OWC now...looks like they don't use SandForce anymore...

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I don't think anybody has responded to the battery question other than to recommend coconutbattery (Which is an excellent suggestion, BTW). But looking at your system report, your battery capacity now is 5654 maH, against an original design of 5820 maH, which means it's at 97% of design. That's pretty good. It is an old battery, so it may decay faster over time, but for now, based on that report, it's in good shape. I think coconutbattery will confirm that for you.
    Jake

thanks, Jake....I'll put in the new SSD and see if that makes a difference. I will say, I'm somewhat surprised how short a span I get without power. Maybe 2 hours or so...no video. maybe word, maybe editing photos...doesn't seem like a huge draw. But 8 year old battery....hmmm...

Thread Information